• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing grades

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing grades

An interesting comment in Church Simmental Ranch sale catalogue indicates that the packers are about to change what they pay premiums on. Cargill are getting more AAAs than they have ever had due to changing genetics and feeding practises. Feedlots are expecting the premium on AAA carcases to be reduced and an increasing bonus put on Yield Grade 1s. Will this favour different breeds than the ones currently in vogue?

I don't have a answer to your question grassfarmer but I do hope Church is right! The dominance of the Angus breed right now is not a good thing in my opinion.
    Now I am not knocking Angus here! Our cowherd has a strong red Angus influence without a doubt. I do believe some breeds have really got hammered by this AAA marbling thing when in reality they shouldn't have? And I also doubt that Angus beef is so superior to a lot of other breeds? Give the Angus boys credit though...they did one hell of a marketing job?
    I personally believe that Charlais cattle are as good as anything out there. I used an AI char bull that had high EPDs for milk and his daughters not only milked but were very quiet...like Hereford quiet!
    Have you ever noticed those darned angus calves are the kickingest things around?

Comment

If you have a cowherd that has some marbling genetics it shouldn't be too hard to find an exotic bull to help out the yield. South Devon cattle work good if you don't want to sacrifice any marbling plus increase yield. Who knows maybe we'll see black baldy cows bred Char. again that has only wrked for like 35 years lol. If anybody is looking for two solid red polled yearling Char. bulls with great carcass E.P.D's and out of superuddered cows phone Jim Peno-306 839-4710 he's got a pair of dandies. I a'i'ed there moms and grammas so i'm their surrogate dad i guess lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...