• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agriville Marketing Poll

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agriville Marketing Poll

Lets do something a bit different. I would like to take a poll of agriville members here. Basically list the crops you are plannig to seed next year, how many acres of each crop and how many bushels of each crop are contracted if any. Along with the information, please state what area of the province you are famring in. That way we are sharing some marketing information with each other and we know who we can bounce some questions off regarding marketing and even production methods. I'll start:

Farm: Southwest, Saskatchewan (Limerick)

Crops: 160 acres Lentils (no contract)
    600 acres Durum (CWB pool)
    305 acres Peas (no contract)
    295 acres Fd Barley (no contrct)
    320 acres Chem-Fallow (maybe)

I will put a thought in to get this thread kick started. My experience says most have a standard rotation with only slight room to switch. With the exception of flaxseed short term, nothing looks real good. A good friend of mine (Greg Kostal) put the higher valued human food crops as the ones with the most potential going into the spring (hard red spring, durum, malt barley, milling oats, kabuli chick peas).

My attention would be on getting old crop supplies priced versus new crop. Exceptions might be oats and flax - bigger acres are likely to take out any premium next fall relative to other crops.

What are others thoughts?

Comment

I still think we should get to grow non medical you know what under our pivots for one year and this might be the year. haha I was asked how Alberta could reach it's 2010 goals of 20 billion in ag products by 2010 and that was my suggestion, don't think it'll gain much traction but...........but yes with so much min and no till being practiced rotation shifts are tricky it often is the crop that you didn't expect to take off that does. It just seems to be smarter long term to stick with looking after the land and the rotation as much as possible. Unless its the peace country rotation. Canola,snow,canola.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...