• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wild oat advisory newsletter

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wild oat advisory newsletter

Anyone subscribe to the wild oat advisory newsletter?
    Is it any good or is there a better one to subscribe to?

Check out Larry Weber`s daily from Saskatoon.Short,concise,easy to read.

Comment

Caseman,

Agriweek is usually a good read... too.
      subscriptions@agriweek.com

I really like the DTN web service!
      http://www.agdayta.com

1-800-508-7371.

Comment

Go to:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sis7483?opendocument

When you get there, check out "Market Information Sources for Western Canadian Farms" and "No-Cost Information on the Internet"

My experience with my clients is that any service that producers subscribe to beyond the regular farm publications like Western Producer and Grain News, is a significant improvement in market information. Everyone has different needs and likes. Look at the "Market Info Sources..." and try the ones that offer a free trial. Pick the one you like.

Comment

i have used wild oats for 4 or 5 years and its pretty good. i work on the road in the winter and i can access the email from anywhere and keep pretty current on markets. it all depends on your cashflow and risk threshold. also use agriweek (used to use GMS but no longer available). spread out the cost of the info over 20000 bushels of grain and its very cheap.

Comment

I read the newsletter from "CGF Brokerage and Consulting" in Saskatoon, SK. I find it very valuable when it comes to marketing grains on my farm. I would not be without it. Out of all the newsletters that I receive it is by far the best.

Comment

I am wondering as to the differences between the agdayta.com and the actual DTN that you install in your office with it's own hardware. I have used it in past when elevator had it and liked it. I also just tried out the agdayta free trial and that might take more getting used to..

Comment

Does anyone know if DTN will be offering the same service over the web in the future? Does it already exist?

Comment

WD9,

As far as I can tell the web based service is the same, setup is key, and premium service can bring in many optional DTN services through the web based system.

Give Agdayta.com... a call I am sure they will fill you in!

Comment

If anyone is considering DTN, make certain to subscribe to some of the optional Canadian services. By itself, DTN (satellite) or DTN web is almost exclusively US content except for WCE futures quotes. In my opinion, without the Canadian services, there isn't enough Canuck content to be of significant help to western Canadian farmers.

Comment

Melville,

I would disagree.

IMHO we Canadians take ourselves too seriously... much of the time.

If we are a small player in oilseeds, wheat, and feed grains (which we are) then in balance the major players like: the US, EU, FSU, China, India, Brazil, Argentina, and Australia, all much of the time are the market makers... not western Canadians.

The "Good Morning Ontario" daily is included in the basic... which gives a good eastern Canadian perspective.

Melville;

AS we move to electronic trading, which means funds and international traders are key movers and shakers... western Canadian growers MUST change perspective... to a international flavour... and away from a local perspective.

Basic Agdayta weather still gives me Radar... good enough for most practical use on our farms... I can watch a large area and see systems develop.

I must have good value for my money... and an hour a day is needed to follow just the basics... most farmers won't even spend this much time! I am not a technician... trading positions... I am a farmer... trying to maximise my returns!

Comment

Tom, I don't disagree with you that as a world market participant, we need to take a world view in our market decisions. However, in my opinion, the DTN satellite service is not a good place to start as a market information source. It provides access to futures quotes and weather radar but, I think, it doesn't provide enough detailed market analysis and implications to Cdn farmers and it doesn't provide any strategy suggestions to the majors including wheat and canola and provides nothing (that I could find) for pulses and other special crops. I have been using DTN for 10 years but I use it less and less as time passes. There are other, less costly, alternatives. (Now I'm in trouble.)

Comment

melville,

It is good we are all different!

Web based DTN has newswires 7-24, multiservices AP, AP Business, OsterDow Jones... Ag News that gives balance that can't be found anywhere else.

Absorbtion ability is critical... and many would rather be served Sat Tele... No Thanks.

I like to scan and nibble!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...