• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Next Generation?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Next Generation?

I see so many mid fifties farmers putting in their time, until they will face the day when they just can't cut it anymore! Then they'll sell out and retire wealthy. Their kids have no intention of farming...why? Not just because farm income really sucks, but because the capital cost is out of this world to get started! Just a fact?
    However, when talking to these guys, I get the feeling that they sure wish it didn't have to be this way? I have always taken the philosophy that I came into this world naked and I'll go out naked, but I do have a duty to make sure the next generation gets their kick at the can...after all I got mine!
    There are some advantages to this? You have your children close to you and you get to live out in the country(well if you love the country!). You get the chance to enjoy the farm life and do as much work as you choose(or not)!
    The big problem here is you've got to know when to pass it over! If you wait too long your child might get the idea they never will be anything more than the hired slave! And yea, you might think they'll screw it all up...probably like your old man thought you would! Gotta take that chance? If you raised them right, they'll come through.
    While I love this piece of dirt more than life itself, I never deluded myself that I would be happy toiling away for nothing...liked money too much!
    When I signed away the land to my son I told him the same thing my old man told me "I'm not giving you this to piss away. You have the priveledge of taking care of it for a few years. It is not yours forever. It belongs to all those who will come after you."
    Now I also told him the day will come to sell this place and I told him when that day comes he shouldn't be an idiot but should think like a businessman! But I also told him that he can never do it until I'm dead! And that the assets recieved are still not his.

Good sermon there Cowman, but, as one of those farmers you described ,primary ag production in this country is in a paradigm shift.We can no longer be competitive/survive the way our parents did.The sooner producers realize this the better.There are going to be goods and bads of the future but that`s life.Am still a firm believer of the Alberta advantage.We will just have to work differently to be sucessful.

Comment

Cropduster I sure would like to know WHAT THE HELL IS THE ALTA ADVANTAGE All I can see is some kind of double speak that Ralph and co come up with to keep the halfwits on side.
      That is unless you are in govmt or oil.

Comment

"WHAT THE HELL IS THE ALTA ADVANTAGE"

As compaired to Saskatchewan;

Much lower income tax rate,
        Much lower property tax rate,
        Much lower provincial fuel tax,
        No provincial sales tax..........

Far lower debt per capita......

Comment

Cowman: Excellent advice. Thankyou.

Comment

farmers son: This truly is something I have struggled with all my life! Somewhere deep inside myself I know that what a man should do is be united to the land and make his living. Unfortunately I also like to live in a way where I can have some of the toys and a sense that I am a free man!
            I like business. I like to be able to wheel and deal and enjoy the fruits of my labor and my innovation....I would have liked to do that in agriculture, if possible.
            Unfortunately I got bit by the oil bug fairly young and I really like the free wheeling ways of that business!
            My son is just happy as a pig doing the farm thing. He really couldn't care as long as he has a buck or two in his pocket. I have come to accept that. That's just how he is...although it drives me crazy!
            I do believe I was a necessary link in the 5 generations of this farm. I provided the means for the next generation to carry on. And in reality isn't that the desire of most of us?

Comment

ivbeenconed and you sure have . When I put my tax form into Quick tax and run under alta and then under sask I come up with app 1300$ more in sask but my Alta health care premium pretty well eats that up . I am sure there are some striking differences in the two provinces but come on if sask had the wealth we have even a 6 yr old could run it profitably take for instance the crown land in alta generates 3.5 mil per yr but generates 100 mil to the users thats probably the way the whole province works then we have the alta advantahge of electricity .
              Besides there must be someplace besides sask we could compare , My point is we have to have the poorest run Govmt out side Ottawa that is ,unless you are Jim Denning or mabey Steve West.

Comment

Cowman: Seldom will our children be like us, and we probably don't even want them to be. Intergenerational transfers are the number one challenge facing todays farm families. Unless the children are willing and eager to carry on the family's farming tradition the only option at the end of the line is an auction sale.

The strongest farm units will be the ones where differences in family members are appreciated and form the basis of strength instead of division. Don't let your son's differences drive you crazy, they are a good thing. But I suspect you already know that.

Comment

Well this world would be pretty boring if we were all alike that is for sure!
                  And in a way my son and I balance each other out. He tends to be cautious and laid back in his business dealings while I can dither a lot but once I make up my mind about something it is "Katie bar the door!" I tend to be a risk taker!
                  The bottom line for me is I like farming.Don't like the prices and while I may bitch about the weather, politicians etc., I get a lot of satisfaction of being outside and seeing things growing. I really enjoy watching a good crop grow, or calves etc. and I enjoy seeing how other guys are doing things. Quite often I will have a little "field walk" in a crop that strikes my fancy! See what weeds are growing, what leaf diseases might be there etc.!
                  There are a lot of positive things about living in the country that can't really be measured by the bank account?

Comment

those of you that have sons and daughters farming with you or taking over the family operation are fortunate. The oilpatch stole my two sons right out of college so there is no-one interested in taking on my operation if and when I decide its time to slow down or head to the old folks home which ever comes first.

Comment

Don't give up on them yet! Someday they may want a place to squander their ill gotten gains! LOL
                      I do find it sad though that many young people might want to farm but their parents discourage it. I'm not blaming them as farming is a big time loser without a doubt...might be considered child abuse!
                      However, somewhere down the road your children might come to a point in their life where they consider the big bucks as not the most important thing in their life? One thing about getting old is the realization that our attitudes towards life can surely change? I believe just about everyone eventually comes to a place where money and getting ahead become very secondary in how they view the world?
                      I am quite happy right now doing my "semi-retirement thing". It has let me run around a bit more and pursue some of my other interests without always being five days behind! I have more time to work in the shop and soon in the greenhouse.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...