• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossbreeding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbreeding

Question: Am I asking for trouble breeding my Murray Grey cows to a Charolais bull? I have used a Murray Grey bull in the past and had no calving troubles but the calves are so fine boned and I was hoping to get a little more size with this cross. I do not intend to keep any calves for herd replacements.

Like anything it depends on both your cows and the bulls you select. We typically see unassisted rates of over 98% on Charolais bulls used in commercial cowherds on our Conception to Consumer program. If you are concerned it is a good idea to purchase a bull with a low birth weight EPD and make sure that his structure is such that he will not promote difficulty (Eg: smooth shouldered). Also, it is a good policy to ensure that you buy from a reputable breeder and get the registration papers for the bull. Since the Charolais Association has gone to the Whole Herd Enrollment system, papers and transfers on each female's calf are included in the yearly fee. There should be no charge to you and it is good insurance if there is a problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.