• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting idea?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting idea?

My hog farmer neighbor can't grow grain on his land anymore because he puts so much liquid hog slurry on it that it just flattens out the first wind that comes along. About five years ago he planted it all to grass and the growth is pretty phenominal! A local dairy takes it off as haylage. Two cuts a year and sometimes they bale a third cut.
    Anyway the other day I asked him if he was going to have any problems with the new NRCB rules that require a soil test? He said the custom applicator he uses told him to just take some dirt in to test from one of the other neighbors and he would have no problems continuing as before! Now I don't think this is exactly kosher but then I don't think the system he had before was creating any problems either! It is kind of amazing how people can think of all kind of ways to get around the governments rules and regulations.

A man after my own heart, not really breaking the law or hurting anybody just finding different ways to survive.

Comment

Well carebear, thats the way I see it too! Although I'm a little leery saying that, as Emerald or Linda are bound to label us as some sort of Neanderthals or something?
      How are you doing this winter? Are you getting rich selling all that "high priced wheat and canola'!!!?

Comment

cowman, it doesn't matter one bit to me if your hog producer neighbour wants to fudge his nutrient management reports, which obviously must be a condition of his permit .
        I can tell you that the various organizations such as Alberta Pork, Alberta Milk, etc. certainly do not condone any operator falsifying records.
        Overloading manure can have serious ramifications environmentaly, that is why there are regulations that stipulate soil testing and nutrient management plans etc.

Comment

The Agricultural Operations Practices Act was passed, in part, to ensure that the environment - particularly water - was protected, as well as the producer being protected in the event of a problem.

I can only control what happens here on our farm, and will encourage others to do what they can to help the environment.

You've heard me say before that I don't believe that everything should be downloaded onto the producer and that the producer should be compensated for the ecological goods and services that they provide.

The only other thing that I would mention is that there is Custom Manure Applicators Workshop ? February 25th, 2005 and any of you that are involved in custom application might want to take this in. It is at the Norsemen Inn, Camrose from 10:00am-3:00pm
          Topics include Managing Manure Nutrients for Crop Production, Safety and Emergency Plans, Regulations that Apply to Manure Applicators and Manure Manager Planner. It is being sponsored by Alberta Environmentally Sustainable Agriculture. To register please call Dale Chrapko at (780) 632-5452 by February 18th, 2005

Comment

Linda, some Agricultural Service Boards are holding Nutrient Management Workshops to assist producers in understanding the requirements of AOPA.
            Anyone wishing to learm more about the legislation can do so at :

www.nrcb.gov.ab.ca

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...