• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breeding sows

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breeding sows

I am looking for a supply of bred or breeding sows. I want ones raised outdoors for a small farm. Can anyone help with where to get some?

Hi
    May I suggest the Old English Black pigs.
    If you live in Ontario. I can help you if not go to the rare breeds Canada site. For contacts and info.

Comment

Thanks Cathy
      I am in Saskatchewan and I have checked out a few sites. I have been invited to a workshop in Alberta later this month and hope to come home with lots of info.
      I do agree with coloured pigs from what I have read and a long range breeding program will help get our desired mix. We are just looking for a start.

Comment

Buy the best breeding stock you can afford,eg. PIC breeding stock, it is pretty hard to improve on the major breeding company breeding lines. Some of these sows do pretty well in the outdoors. They aclimatize fairly quickly to the outdoors,sun,winter etc.
        Tom

Comment

I have to agree with Cathy. On a small farm, the heritage breeds will do very well for you. The Large Blacks thrive on pasture, are disease-resistant, have birthing ease with high livability, and you can find a ready market for farm-based grass-fed pork sales. Here's a good question: If you could help save a rare or heritage breed that has proven commercial viability on a small mixed farm, why would you choose a commodity breed that is likely dependent on antibiotics and growth hormones to gain weight and thrive? Get some heritage genetics working for you!Visit Rare Breeds Canada (www.rarebreedscanada.ca to learn more. Or contact me at rbc_alberta@yahoo.ca. We have a very active Chapter in Alberta, with several Sask members. I would love to help you in any way I can.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.