• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard White Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard White Wheat

Charlie;

I see US Wheat Associates include this in their latest news letter:

"State wheat commissions to hold summits on hard white wheat.

As the world's largest wheat exporter, the U.S. provides five of the six wheat classes to overseas buyers. Although hard white (HW) wheat is an attractive option for many American wheat producers, the U.S. does not currently produce enough HW to meet export demand. The U.S. must grow 75 million bushels of HW annually – and consistently – to be considered a reliable supplier. Although HW production increased 18 percent, to 55 million bushels this year, it is not enough.

Noodle makers in Asia, bakers in the Middle East and Africa and Latin America, and millers all over, rave about U.S hard white wheat... when they can get it. Too many times, buyers are told that HW from the U.S. is simply not available, so they turn to competitors who can ensure a steady supply.

Declaring that it's time for some good old-fashioned talk about the future of hard white wheat, state wheat commissions in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas are inviting wheat producers and other industry members to share their views at two "Hard White Wheat Summits" in January. One of the summits will be held in Colby, Kansas, on January 18 and the other is scheduled for January 20 in Guymon, Oklahoma."

Charlie:

Have you heard of any Canadian conferences on Hard White Wheat?

Could Alberta Ag. possibly work on putting something together?

Haven't heard of any Canadian conferences. Will take your idea forward. Would encourage the CWB to consider using the models for durum (Swift Current) and the winter wheats.

Just as a note, there is no one group that speaks for the overall wheat complex (other than the CWB). If you asked this question for barley, pulses, oats or canola in Alberta, there is an organization/commission AAFRD could partner with. Same comments winter and soft white wheat.

The market is definitely there for hard white wheat. What has the production experience been for anyone who has grown?

Comment

Saw the following in the CWB Bulletin.

"CWB Day during Crop Production Week will include a focus on Hard White Wheat, with a presentation from Dr. Pierre Hucl of the University of Saskatchewan, an agronomic update, as well as market and weather outlooks for 2005. There will also be a feature presentation by Dr. Soon-Bin Neoh, Managing Director of the Seberang Flour Mill in Malaysia. The cost to participate in CWB Day, Jan. 14 at the Saskatoon Inn, is $10 (includes lunch) or farmers can pre-register for $5 by phoning (306) 975-6999."

Also talked to a local CWB business rep. and he indicated they are considering doing seminars on hard white wheat in Alberta.

Comment

We grew 300 ac of Snowbird this year, and well, maybe it is the climatic conditions but it was by far the worst crop we grew. I was interested at $7.5/tn but at $2.5??? Some producers did O.K. with snowbird last year but I will wait for an earlier maturing varitey and at least a $10/t prem.

Comment

grew hard white wheat for the second time this past year, it netted 67 bu per acre graded #2 and it is all delivered and paid for. It does lodge a little bit easier than Barrie but the yield is there and it is not as dependend on colour to make the grade. We will only grow white wheat in 2005, no red spring wheat.

Comment

We have grown it in the past and with the $7.50/tonne, now that it is $2.50/tonne I agree with furrowtickler it just may not be worth growing. If I didn't have to battle sawfly it might be different. I think I with stick with durum this year, possibly with a IP CWB variety with the $2.50/tonne plus 100% movement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...