• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AG Policy Horizons 2005 nisku update

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AG Policy Horizons 2005 nisku update

Good Morning felt I had a responsibility to update this seminar as I was the one pushing it here, Andy Mitchells (Fed minister of AG.)office phoned yesterday and said he wasn't coming, didn't offer to replace him , nothing. I'll be writing him a letter about the attitude of his staff and whether this level of responsibility is present right to the top.
    Our apologies we're working on a replacemnet but at this late date... this reminds me why I prefer cows over politicians.

Good Morning
    Just quick and final thank you to all that came to the seminar in Nisku Thursday, I'd like to say it was a very worthwhile day and yes there are still speakers that give you info you don't get on the internet(theres a minimum floor price on beer but not on barley figures huh.) Great turnout for the young farmers seminar and positive reviews. If you missed it Tom now is that much more futher ahead of you with his knowledge. If you read this Tom I meant to ask you if you thought it was worthwhile?
    To my mind it is one of the best seminars on "The big picture" put on in Alberta each year. But you have to go there ready to think and thats something it seems lost on alot of producers.
    Charlie there was a spot at supper between BoB friesen and Laurent Pellerin for you with Sen. Tommy Banks and Bill Dodson at the table as well. rather than sitting there myself I put the new Vice president of the newly(finally) formed Alberta young farmers there. You missed a good session and it was close to Edmonton no excuses for there not being more industry types there. Unless you knew about the beer thing.
    I have to get a new name now I'm off the boaed so maybe -unwrapped? lol
    Thanks again

Comment

Sorry my battery died before I had a chance to reread to spell check, Wild Rose Ag. Producers presient is Bill Dobson he's a very good man and truly has the best interets of all agriculture at heart.

Comment

WRAPper;

I really did appreciate the great topics on Thursday... very good speakers, great info... Super job Wildrose did in putting the conference together.

I really do look foreward to the day when the "single desk" monopoly is over... and we can start building our industry back together again. I am not saying an end to the CWB... just that they are required to do a reality check and become an equal partner in Agriculture, instead of holding a gun on us and threatning us with a knife at our collective throats.

And anyone wonders why only 32% of CWB ballots were returned... probably less than 20% of growers if all actual producers had a reasonable opportunity to vote.

If in provincial and federal elections... people had to swear out Statutory Declarations to vote... how many would vote in an election WRAPper?

Maybe 10%?

With the CWB election setup, the way it is... would anyone put up with it for a second for other elections?

There NO WAY any reasonable person would, after what I have seen.

On that day... I do believe we will be able to build a great general organisation here in Alberta.

I look forward to that day!

Comment

Thanks for the invitation. It was a very good program. I had previous commitments however.

Wild Rose are to be congratulated on their young farmers forum. On policy issues, it seems like us old dogs (I put myself in that category) just like to chase our tails dealing with the same old issues in the same old way. We need new fresh ideas from a younger viewpoint that are starting their farming career. They also can help the industry make the necessary compromises on these issues that will move agriculture forward to meet future challenges.

Comment

Thanks Charlie

I agree Charlie wholeheartly about the Young Farmers Forum ,now the trick is to keep it interesting educational and growing without it hitting the pitfalls that hurt the other groups in the province(politics) My hope and it was echoed by many at the conference is that this group can serve multiple roles in the areas of training education and business experience while remaining centered. Nothing says the members can't be active in other organizations but the hope is that this be a "learning" ground for producers in that 19- low 30's range.
            As well as being a deivery point for programs being offered by others ie cappa, alberta ag, fcc. Time will tell its still a new baby and hopefully it will grow and thrive.

I have stepped off the board of WRAP and am unsure of my future role(if any ) with AYF but will continue to be available if the need should arise. Because I do believe in the need as well as the tremondous"optics" to a group like this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...