• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sainfoin and alfalfa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sainfoin and alfalfa

what percentage of sainfoin must be seeded with alfalfa to prevent bloat in grazing cattle.

Your question is not as simple as it first seems, there is alot of management that has to go along with an alfalfa/sainfoin mix pasture. The key is the animal getting a mix of the two legume species in the rumen, but sainfoin may be more paletable than the alfalfa so they graze this first and then the alfalfa, potentially causing the bloat problem.Careful management must be used to reduce this occurance. A good source of info on this subject is Bjorn Berg at bjorn.berg@agric.gov.ab.ca he has done grazing trials with sainfoin/alfalfa.

Comment

I have been grazing a mix of alfalfa, sainfoin and grasses for three years. I get concerned with high alfalfa per cent but haven't lost any calves or cows to bloat, nor have had any sign of bloat. We intensive graze, so every thing gets eaten in the 24 hours the cattle are on the strip. I planted 20% alfalfa (% by weight)on one of the fields I use, and got about 50% by plant count (small seeds compared to cicer, sainfoin, etc.) Took the grasses a couple of years to get established. After three years or so, I think the alfalfa per cent is about 10-15%. Probably the key is intensive grazing so the cattle don't select as your other reply suggested. We have tried other mixes. We live near Crossfield, east side of #2 highway, and our best mix for the last two years has been one with lots of western and northern wheatgrass-- expensive seed, but thrives better than other species in the dry years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.