• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE WILD HOGS OF HORSESHOE BEND

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following story was written by Dr. J. McDaniel. It’s a true story. It was originally published more than forty years ago in a bulletin of the Fulton County Medical Society. Here’s what McDaniel had to say:

I remember as a small boy in knee britches going with my father to hear an address given by the Honourable Stephen Pace, then an elected ember of the federal government. It was on the banks of the river. There was a barbecue, and citizens, especially farmers, from all over the area gathered. This was before the First World War.

It seemed that someone in government had introduced a bill that would give the farmers some money provided they did something. Mr. Pace vigorously opposed it. I have no idea what it was because I was busy watching a ground squirrel play with a pine cone. He snapped me back to attention, however, when he said, “I’m going to tell you a true story about the wild hogs that once lived about 40 miles down the river.”

“Years ago,” he said, “in a great horshoe bend down the river, there lived a drove of wild hogs. Where they came from, no one knew, but they survived floods, fires, freezes, droughts, and hunters. The greatest compliment a man could pay to a dog was to say he had fought the hogs in Horshoe Bend and returned alive. Occasionally a pig was killed either by dogs or a gun. Whenever that happened, it would be talked about for years to come.”

“Finally, a man wearing a single suspender came by the country store on the old river road and asked the whereabouts of these wild hogs. He drove a one-horse wgon, had an ax, some quilts, a lantern, some corn, and a single barrel shotgun. He was a slender, slow-moving patient man. He chewed his tobacco deliberately and spat very seldom. A couple of months later, he came back to the same store and asked for help to bring out the wild hogs. He stated that he had them all in a pen over at the swamp.”

“It was all very simple,” said the man, tugging at his suspender strap. “First I put out some corn. For three weeks, they wouldn’t eat it. Then some of the young ones grabbed an ear and ran off into the thicket. Soon they were all eating it; then I commenced building a pen around the corn, a little higher each day. When I noticed that they were all waiting for me to bring the corn and had stopped grubbing for the acorns and roots, I built the trap door.”

“Naturally, “ said the patient man, “they raised quite a ruckus when they seen they was trapped, but I can pen any animal on the face of the earth if I can just get him to depend on me for a free handout.”

We have had patient men in our own central government for years. The only difference is that they are using our own dollars instead of corn. Maybe that’s why I still think about the trap door, and the slender, stooped man, when he spat tobacco juice and turned to the gathered citizens many years ago and said: “I can pen any animal on the face of the earth, if I can just get him to depend on me for a free handout.”
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...