• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of an era - the beginning of another

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of an era - the beginning of another

At 1:20 pm today, William Parrish Sr. (of Parrish & Heimbecker) rang the old brass bell on the trading floor of the WCE to signify the end of the final open-outcry trading session as it moves to fully electronic trade on Monday. I would guess that well over 200 past and present members attended to witness this little passing of history, myself included. In his closing comments, Mike Gagne, WCE President, told of the many times in its history that the exchange has taken bold steps (such as this one). We were also told of the many new trading participants that have signed up for trading now that it will be electronic. A rumour was quickly circulating around the floor about some heavy hitters from the US that are signed up and poised to trade substantial volumes at WCE. Once electronic trading has proven successful at WCE, they would then take the WCE success to the nay-sayers in Chicago as evidence that ag commodities can trade electronically successfully.

Time will tell if the exchange has made a wise move. But the time is right to show support by participating. Even if this additional volume comes and the WCE contracts gain liquidity, I urge all producers with an interest in canola, feed wheat, feed barley, and flax to strengthen their exchange products by participating. And you know, there is no shame in trading small lots – if each canola farmer out there traded futures equal to only 20% of his crop, it would create about 1.6 million tonnes of futures trade (based on 2004 crop), equal to about 83,000 contracts.

I don't LOL

Comment

Okay, I see "LOL" or "lol" on lots of posts and I know I'm culturally isolated but what does it mean?

Comment

You need your kids to become teenagers. My interpretation (as an adult) is laugh out loud. A further potential is lots of laughs. My knowledge of internet chat lingo is limited as I am something over 20 years old.

As a note, lots of things in the current CWB act are out of sync with reality (eg. how interest payments on the old debt are allocated in the feed barley pool). At some point, the act will have to be opened up and amended.

Comment

Mellvile;

I thought LOL was Lots of Luck!

Good question though!

We were told the Federal COurt Judge will rule most likely on Dec. 23rd... She reserved judgement till then.

Many issues about the election remain undiscovered... are not going to be resolved in this judgement. The COurt limited the scope... at the deliberate request of CWB legal council.

This was a perfect opportunity to resolve all 2004 election issues... it was missed, deliberately caused by the CWB.

SHAME

How much can the CWB sweep under the rug? It depends how much the pooling accounts pay for high priced legal guns.

And the farmers who wanted simple answers... will be blamed for a huge bill...

The bigger the legal cost... the better the CWB looks!

I can still hope for a miricle...

We cannot lose faith that justice COULD be done... still... at this late hour!

Comment

It continues that the CWB is exclusive rather than inclusive.I agree with Tom.SHAME!Why do the detractors have to resort to court actions while the beaurocrats(sp)smugly look down from their ivory tower!Farmers are receiving their smallest cheques ever for their frozen grain and their employees are globe trotting on"study"trips,staying at the Hyatt in Calgary,defending their incompetence in court with high priced lawyers(paid for from the pooling account)and on and on it goes.

Comment

Lee....typically LOL stands for "laughing out loud".

Comment

Farmers for Justice has information (court documents, etc.) posted on their website now:

http://www.farmersforjustice.com

Comment

The decision has now been posted on www.farmersforjustice.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...