• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax Futures died yesterday - Long Live Flax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the length – but there’s a lot going on here.

So flax won’t make it on the new electronic board, eh? My guess is that this time next year we’ll be wondering why they didn’t go electronic sooner. Don’t listen to the floor traders when they say that without them, the exchange will die. Not only will they be replaced, but they’ll be replaced with volume. You may be right about flax dying – but going electronic won’t be what killed the flax contract.

Futures contracts die from lack of use – basically, like a muscle that hasn’t been used, they atrophy. If you’re going to say that “they” killed it, toss your net a little wider. Those with an interest in flax – including producers – that didn’t use the contract, are the ones who may have killed it. Assuming the commercials are the “they” you refer to, “they” didn’t kill the contract from not trading it – “they” are virtually the only ones trading it in the last decade or more. The fact that others didn’t trade it, simply allowed “them” to abuse the contract. And they didn’t abuse the market because they wanted it to die – they did it because they could and they could make money doing it.

The abuse of the flax futures market occurred at a time when the compliance dept of the exchange was lax. You say the MSC is a puppet – look a little closer. The WCE itself was known as the “toothless tiger” not that long ago. Today, traders complain bitterly about the WCE compliance dept; a decade or more ago, they’d go for beers with each other. In another thread, the new board was featured. Heavily skewed toward FCM’s and outside interests (only 4 commercials on the board), the current WCE is set to act in the interests of ALL participants, particularly the non-shareholders. The commercials no longer rule the roost. These are all good changes – electronic trading, new players, committed compliance, a “public” board – but for some reason, I don’t see anyone getting excited about them. Instead, all I see here is ranting about how bad things are and it’s all “their” fault.

Interesting comment on canola basis: “we are seeing canola basis fluctuate to attract seed as if the futures were not/will not work/working”. First off, basis is supposed to fluctuate to attract seed – I’d worry if it didn’t. But, assuming you’re saying the futures are not working, are you saying this is because “they” don’t want it to work? Or is it not working because “they” aren’t using it? If so, you’d need something like larger trading margins to support the logic (like what I think you are suggesting in flax). Are they?

Your synopsis of the flax market is interesting. I am so far away from it I really can’t comment. But before I go slit my wrists over it, I would certainly want the answers to some fairly simple questions:

Is the EU price you quoted, a bid, an offer, a trade, or an indication? Flax and linseed oil are two small and often very thin markets. Often nothing is going on – no buying, no selling – in that situation, when a trader is pushed for an offer for publication, you can be sure it’ll be a high one.

If it’s a bid, is it from a processor (end user) or from a reseller (trader)? It can make a huge difference. A reseller will take the market to the moon to cover a commitment, whereas a processor can simply shut the doors before taking on too much pain. Is there a structural reason why a resller would bid for flax in EU much higher than in Cda?

If flax is worth $500 a tonne to someone in the EU, but the best bid in the country is $8.50 a bu, or about $335 per tonne, that leaves about $165 to move it. This means there’s about $120 for ocean freight and let'S call it, bonus margins. I don’t know what current ocean rates are but I’m sure they aren’t over $100 a tonne. If all this is true, there’s a lot of bonus margin in there. Know a good broker? For that kind of money, you could easily go around the “they” and spread some Christmas cheer to a few flax farmers out there, while keeping a little for your time. I must be missing something – someone should be picking up that ball and running with it. If not, heads should roll. Unless of course this is simply the basis for a conspiracy theory.

Now mustard. 72 cent yellow mustard in 2002 wouldn’t impact French’s retail prices because (I’m gonna go out on a limb here) they never paid 72 cents for it. If things haven’t changed, the vast majority of mustard is forward contracted by processors. The price risk is worn by the commercials. What they don’t cover with producers, they buy-in after the fact, in the cash market. And if there’s a crop problem, they pay dearly, because Mr. French wants his mustard and he doesn’t care what it costs the reseller. So the reseller or commercial may pay farmers 2 or 3x the actual selling price to French’s. I doubt French’s or any other major user has ever paid 72 cents. But maybe things have changed….

Seems to me you got a mad-on for something, Incognito. I like Boone’s idea. Sleep on it. I find a couple of rusty nails go a long way to soothe my ruffled feathers.

Comment

USD$540 March 15- April 15. Want paper? I'll fax it to you. Flax is $11.00 in the country elevator system. And this is a direct quote from a former Flax trader who is now in Brazil:"Why would we ever want price discovery for flax and for that matter canola"
      You are right, you are too far removed to comment on Flax. But next time you are in the concourse, check around to see how many flax traders are still at their desk.

Canola basis fluctuating $20.00 at the same location, within 3 days is normal I guess. That and starting Monday, flat pricing will be the order of the day. You might want to throw that net real wide and do some soul searching.

Mustard:

The vast majority of mustard is forward contracted by processors. The price risk is worn by the commercials. What they don’t cover with producers, they buy-in after the fact, in the cash market. And if there’s a crop problem, they pay dearly.

80 -86% of the mustard grown is forward contracted. The majority of mustard contracts with end-users have percentage roll-back clauses in the event of crop problems. Who is at risk?

Conspiracy theory? Look at how far Alberta Agriculture got with theirs. And that was with high-priced help.

Comment

DING end of round one, go easy gents we are all going for a couple of pops later on. You two are the best info discovery we have don't let the GAME face carry the day. Farmers are treating flax the way they used to treat Canary grow a little each year and wait for the big score,brown,yellow mustard as well, it creates ingestion problems, go easy nothing below the belt, mouthguards in. ding round two.

Comment

Chaffmeister, I agree with your assessment re the WCE, the canola basis and flax. I think one of the most important points you touched on was personal responsibility.

For instance, last year's canola basis was very weak. Producers blamed the design of the canola contract, greedy grain merchants and everyone else they could think of. Really though, the main contributor to the weak basis was the number of farmers that were willing sellers. Futures prices were strong, street prices reasonable, and farmers were squeezed for cash and willingly sold into weak basis. The basis didn't have to strengthen to attract seed.

Many farmers don't make and stick to a marketing plan. Most farmers still don't use the price risk management tools that exist through the WCE or elsewhere. Just as importantly, farmers don't take responsibility for their own contributions to the marketplace.

This is ultimately what happened to flax. Farmers quit being hedgers and that left just a few larger players.

There will always be participants in every marketplace that will seek to be dominant. As producers, whether we market our cattle, hogs, grain, whatever, it is our responsibility to care enough to not let ourselves be dominated.

Comment

Braveheart, I agree with you that it is basic human nature to find someone else, other than ourselves, to blame when times are difficult.

However, given that, I do think that weak (wide) canola basis levels last year may have been partly the result of WCE contract design. In my opinion, delivery against canola futures is so cumbersome and fraught complications, that futures delivery can't be used to discipline either basis or futures prices. That's why it was my argument that we had weak basis levels last year because futures were too high, not cash too low. Perhaps futures were too high because delivery against futures is nigh unto impossible, or at least improbable, particularly for producers. Maybe we need a cash settled canola price index something like what the MGE is offering for its wheat (and other) contracts.

Comment

Melville, I was never a fan of the WCE canola contract design. When the contract moved to interior pricing and par and non par regions it seemed that producers in the eastern prairies (where I farm)were faced with weaker basis levels than was experienced with the previous contract. It took a long time for our farm to adjust to this reality but we are learning (slowly) that when good basis levels are offered, we must be aggressive and decisive in locking them in.

The way different firms manage risk is also changing. There are fewer commercials, but they are larger, can probably manage their risk internally or with flat back to back pricing. There is more fund money looking for investment vehicles. All these factors change the volatility of commodity futures markets. Will futures and cash converge daily? On a weekly basis futures and cash likely will converge. The participants are changing lately as is the marketplace (IP canolas, wild currency swings, terrorist threats) and producers must adapt.

Would a different delivery mechanism allow for better convergence? Would it discipline futures and cash prices? Or would a simpler delivery process result in grain stocks that had no end sale entering the elevator system and congesting it?

I haven't really thought of the delivery process as "overly" onerus, I just don't know why anyone would want to do it.

My experience with the WCE was that if anyone brought forward changes needed and made an argument supported with facts (technical, stats, etc.) it was given fair consideration. Delivery against futures is often griped about in coffee shops and at marketing club meetings, but is usually repeated by people who heard someone else gripe about it, and they really don't understand it.

Comment

You said, "When the contract moved to interior pricing and par and non par regions it seemed that producers in the eastern prairies (where I farm)were faced with weaker basis levels than was experienced with the previous contract."

And you said, " haven't really thought of the delivery process as "overly" onerus, I just don't know why anyone would want to do it."

Perhaps, unknowingly you answered your question about not knowing why anyone would want to deliver against futures with the first couple of sentences in your post.

I think you're right about not wanting to deliver against futures in 98 or 99% of the time. However, it is times like you talked about in your opening paragraph that makes one wonder if easier delivery against futures would be useful. I'm not saying "easy as starting the auger motor" easy for anyone other that commercials, but at least easier than it is now.

If one looks at the canola deliveries for Nov 04 on the WCE web site, the list is heavily weighted toward commercials on one or both sides. It's even worse for feed wheat and western barley for the Dec contract.

Comment

The warrant system isn't overly onerus. What would be onerus would be the maximum tariffs I'd be faced with if I showed up at a nominated delivery point with the canola. That being said it is obviously easier for a commercial with stocks instore to stand for delivery than a prairie farmer to fire up a truck and try to squeeze grain into someone else's facility.

When it comes to threat of delivery against futures of course it is useful for proper function of a futures market. Does it matter though who can most easily use that threat?

I'm surprised that there are a lot of deliveries right now? What does that signal to you? Last year when there was a lot of money to made by delivering, few commercials did and a lot of money was left on the table.

Comment

Just wondering if low canola oil content and ocean freight that doubled had anything to do with high basis levels on sales that were sold 3-6 months out before oil content and freight was a known entity.

It seems to have been missed in the above.

Comment

This is now a little out of sync with the thread - cuz I'm late responding....

Thanks Boone for letting me know that I had stepped into the ring. Incognito, it’s tough to read the mood or tone in a written word sometimes and I guess I misjudged your sensitivity about this stuff.

I’m not at all surprised that a flax trader questioned why a commercial would want price discovery. But in a volatile market they need something to manage their risk between buying and selling. Futures are kind of a double edged sword (price discovery and risk transference) and the commercial may be interested in only one side. Without a tool like futures, they simply must widen margins to protect from the times that the market simply gets away from them. And that’s what I’m told (by a few key sources) is happening in flax. High volatility cuz of short crop and lousy harvest, etc., no flax futures to manage risk and bang – you gotta widen your margins to take care of business. In essence, flax has become a special crop.

Without futures, the level of volatility will dictate the level of protection placed within the margin. In essence, you’ve addressed your own concern/complaint about the market. Big spread above costs between CIF and farm gate suggests huge volatility in the market. And that is exactly as you described the cash market. From what I’ve been told and what you have said, I would say the flax market is working as it should be expected to – considering the futures contract doesn’t work. You’ve just built the argument why everyone – commercials included – have a responsibility to support a futures contract.

This flax trader you’re talking about – didn’t he up-and-leave out of frustration trying to cover his export book (prior to being fired, perhaps), leaving a lot of corporate blood on the floor for others to clean up? Getting big-time short ahead of a volatile weather market with crappy harvest leading to a tight s/d is not for the weak of heart, particularly without futures to help. Wonder how he would have fared had the flax contract been viable? Without futures, it’s just not safe to put on the big export programs like we used to in the old days.

So let’s see – the commercials killed the flax futures to remove price discovery from farmers’ eyes. This allows them to widen the basis. (Didn’t you say “they” killed the flax contract “Because they don't want farmers to know what the price of Flax is/was/will be”?) But then two flax traders with major exporters quit their jobs allegedly leaving big messes and big losses in their flax accounts. So where was the gain from the wide basis? Shouldn’t they be reaping huge profits at the expense of the farmer? And this is all happening in an environment when these firms have much less appetite for risk than I have ever seen in 25 years of trading.

So remind me again why they would think it’s a good idea to kill the contract?

Futures contracts will be used by each participant to their greatest perceived benefit. If because of low futures liquidity, a firm has less risk doing back-to-back cash business, they’ll do that. With high liquidity, the same firm will be an efficient hedger. It’s not that they choose to kill the contract so they can hide prices – it’s a matter of cost, and lower risk means lower cost. When the futures market presents greater risk because of low liquidity, it makes sense for them to avoid it. It’s up to the whole flax community to make sure it works so that it is the low cost (low risk) alternative.

Which would you do: trade in a cash market that you move $5 per tonne to cover a short, or trade in a futures contract that you move $20 per tonne to buy the same volume?

Viable futures allow the commercial to take on more business – because the risk is lower and easier to manage than without. If you’re limited to what volumes you can do because of high risk, everyone loses as markets are much slower to develop and harder to maintain. Yes, commercials may say they don’t need price discovery but a commercial who would say he can do better in a large market without a viable futures contract is an idiot. (I don't mean you Incognito, I mean the commercial.)

Not sure at all what you are thinking about when you tell me to do some soul searching. Perhaps another time. Over a beer. With Boone as ref.

Comment

Chaff:

Its sometimes easy to let passion get in the way of sensitivity. Its much easier at 5:30 a.m. after a vitriol exchange (pun intended) with some oarsman thinking that his ship has come in.

Ask Boone. We've both been on the receiving end of some good whacks.

I'll get to the rest of the reply when my 20-month old isnt tugging at the comp. wanting to watch Bob The Builder with his Dad.

Best,

Comment

" WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY..............
                          AND HE IS US"
                          -Pogo

Comment

Does this mean we're not going for those beers?

Comment

No Chaff we'll definitely go for the brew,I was speaking of each and every players stilted behaviour in the smooth marketing flow, farmers grow it bin it and want to enjoy it. They market when their hungry, guess what we all get hunger pangs at the same time. I think as we rationalize farming it may change. Buut and it's a big one. It used to be the large farmer were the ones that could carry out and build a market, not so anymore. I see producers with big acres, and big input carry, market like hyena's. They discover little for themselves but when slaughter has started they chase it right to the ground. Anyway on that cheerful note Merry Christmas to any and all participants and voyeurs alike. May God bless everyone to the limit of their wishes. Boone

Comment

Hey Chaffmeister, you're right about flax becoming a "special crop", 'cause it has. Same as rye and you remember what happened to rye futures. And let's face it, durum is a special crop, too, and notice what happened to durum futures at the MGE.

Someone said something like 'we have met the enemy and he is us.' And I at least partly agree with that. I teach two or three eight-day grain and oilseed marketing courses each year using a neat little tool developed by Alta. Ag. called FutureSim 3 (shameless plug for a good tool). (My colleagues teach another two or three or more.) The participants are attentive and eager to learn but, and I'm only guessing, only about 10%, at the high end, actually go out and open a futures trading account. And then probably half of those let it sit unused. So it isn't just commercials who don't always support the WCE. It's primary producers, too. Now the flax growers that I talk to are lamenting the possible end of flax futures. They didn't use flax futures directly but they sure liked to watch future's public price discovery.

Now, has anyone got any really good ideas how I can motivate my clients to become more involved and proactive in using existing marketing tools before more of them disappear?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...