• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loonie Hedging Strategy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loonie Hedging Strategy

Any thoughts on what farm managers should be doing for a Canadian dollar risk management strategy? We have come off substantially from the 85 loonie. Is this the sign of more declines or an opportunity to hedge? What tool? Buy calls? Sell puts? What is the risk/impact on your business?

My strategy is to buy the March at 7950 after it fills the gap left in mid October. It just filled the gap next to it and maybe it has some more weakness. This would be a 62% retracement of the advance from mid September. Long term, I think the trend is up.
    I'm a little light on strategies for 2005/6, but I think it will include a serious look at government programs. Although I must remember not to plan for next year based on what happened this year. The carryover numbers are really ugly, especially canola. I think we will be buying November futures or calls and keeping our acres down - might lose less that way!

Comment

My banks international market group has pegged CDN $ for June at .76c if they are right it will balance the carry on Canola, if they are wrong they'll be about average. They maybe a couple low, we'll see.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...