• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quebec producers buy slaughter house

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quebec producers buy slaughter house

Colbex passes to the producers

Julie D****r, Earth of on our premises December 10, 2004

The cattle producers of Quebec have just acquired the Colbex slaughter-house. After intense negotiations, the partys signed an agreement of principle on the sale of part of the actions of the Colbex slaughter-house and factory of Produits transformation of Levinoff meat ltée with the producers.

“It should not be forgotten that the Federation of the producers of bovines was in negotiations with this slaughter-house for more than six months. It is not a business of last minute, points out the president of the Federation, Michel Dessureault. The agreement of principle must lead us to conclude from the documents for December 20”, adds it. Thereafter, the Federation will carry out the diligent checking, which should last a few weeks or even a few months. The legal structure also remains to be determined. The committee of negotiation bovines of reform will meet the next week to discuss this question. The stockbreeders will have to then ask for the exemptions necessary to the Control of the agricultural markets and food of Quebec.

The details of the agreement remain nevertheless obscure. Concordant information speaks about a transaction passing very close to the 50 M$, to which the producers would hold 80% of the actions of the company. However, Michel Dessureault does not want to advance. “50 M$, it is with half forgery. The final figure, it is the diligent checking which will give it to us”, ensures it. It confirms however that “the producers are strongly majority” and that the current managers will remain in place “for one five years minimal period, with possibility of extension connected directly to the results”.

What happenhappen does bottom price?

For Monday, the good cull cows have been sold to 0,26 $/delivers at least, a price fixed for the four next months. One counts on the governmental assistance and the profits of the slaughter-house to reach the bottom price of 0,42 $/delivers required by the Federation. This price will be in force until December 31, 2005. “The State ensured that for the evolution of the 0,42 $, there are part of the contributions which will come from the benefit of the slaughter-house and a part which will come from the government. It is necessary to quickly turn over the complement of price to the producers. If it is needed, one will borrow”, ensures Michel Dessureault.

Insane cow

In addition to the financing of the bottom price, the leaders of the UPA claim with the government a supplementary programme to fill the losses caused by the crisis of the insane cow. A renewal of program ESB-3 for the animals of reform would be largely appreciated. However, the stockbreeders wish to make pass the rate of reform accepted from 16 to 25% for the dairy sector and from 8 to 12% for cow-calf. The producers also ask for financing for the acquisition of Colbex/Levinoff. The Federation will be able to also count on taken of 20$ per cow sold by the auction, into force on next 13 December.

Now I find these translations sort of hard to follow, but somehow I get the feeling that the Quebec government is probably holding the bag on this one? Or maybe the feds?
    I guess either way, Alberta will probably end up paying for it through the transfer payments!
    I wonder how come Alberta can't come up with a scheme like this to take over Cargill/IBP? Just tell them to hit the road and give them some money?
    I guess we could let the ABP run it or something? Or maybe grassfarmers' NFU? Of course they might have to rethink some of their ideas of loving the unions so much?

Comment

Ha,Ha Cowman, unfortunately the joke is on us. Through the strength of their union Quebec producers are going to pay in the region of $50 million for this plant. They have the funds through working together for a common cause whereas we in the west can't raise money to build a plant. Perhaps the poor Sudanese immigrants that work at IBP need protection of their rights, if they were long standing Canadian citizins fired for protesting their rights perhaps you would be more concerned? Or is it more convenient to turn a blind eye to that side of the Packers operations?

Comment

"Through the strength of their union Quebec producers are going to pay in the region of $50 million for this plant."

NOT SO!

More accuratly... through the strength of the 300 million in funding per year (Alberta cash) given to the UPA by the Qubec government they will find it quite easy to buy the plant!!

Comment

Ivbeenconed wouldnt you take it if ralph and his clowns would open the purse a little I would I am not to proud anymore after some of the things that go on.

Comment

Well grassfarmer, I'm not real up on the Sudanese situation at IBP but I think they got the boot because they didn't want to work, or am I wrong?
            I hope you aren't suggesting that IBP discriminated against them because they were Sudanese or something? How come this one group of immigrants went out on an illegal strike but none of the others did? You know...the Phillipinos, the Vietnamese, the Newfies!
            I find the whole concept of a union very strange. If you don't like where you are working, or don't think you are making enough then move on! IBP doesn't own them!
            With all the labor laws and anti-discrimination laws in this country, there is no reason anyone has to stay in a job they don't like. Anyone who wants to make a real effort can get ahead in this country? After all we were all immigrants once, right?

Comment

Horse, your accepting ag support from your own province is one thing but Qubec producers accepting generous support from their province that in reality came from Alberta is quite another.
              I am a "western" patriot and not to adverse to seeing Alberta do some radical things to CORRECT wrongs that have seen yours, or our, major industries bought up over the last 30 years just because of Ottawa's cheap dollar policy and lack of any protection from growing monopolies.

For Alberta to expropriate, buy out,or whatever, the packers, and then seek out Western Canadian ownership with new guidelines limiting packer ownership of cattle just might be the quickest solution to this imense problem.

Let me be clear here. I am angry that for years our Ottawa reps have preached to us in the west that we should be mad at the Americans and Europeans for their ag subsidies yet all the while Albertans are being ripped off and Alberta cash is being funneled through to Quebec producers in amounts that would make most Albertans blush...IF THEY ONLY KNEW!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...