• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bull uninterested?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bull uninterested?

Was noticing last night that a couple of cows bulling & the bull was just looking at them like they were gophers! Could he of done his job earlier in the day? This bull is servicing 25 cows for the last 10 days & there has been no problem so far He is 2 years old & appears to be healthy. He has about 10 left what should we do?

I assume that you have seen him do his job during the past 10 days? Sometimes first time bulls need to get coordinated but if he has that aspect down then I would make sure that he doesn't have any injury or is sick that makes him uninterested. If not and I assume he was semen tested, I would watch very carefully and if he is not breeding cows or the cows he has bred are cycling again in 21 days I would pull the bull and replace him. This would still loose you a cycle on your breeding. If you have not seen him breed a cow then you should talk to your vet about libedo testing, but remember time is money if cows are not being bred so monitor the situation very closely. Hope this helps.

Comment

You hit it right on injured.We decided to bring the herd up to the yard & maybe treat for foot rot or knee infection since both areas looked swollen.Well guess what on the way to us he start limping really bad I mean BAD.Turns out he had a broken leg above his knee? Must have injured it mounting & when he started walking with the herd he must really irratated it. The good thing is we were already working on a bull so we got the replacement & we did not put any drugs into him. He was still able get into a trailer & is cooling off now. Thanks for for replying. By the way the bull was about 2000 lbs three year sheaver bull. Have you heard of any problems with leg support etc?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.