• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

I know this is not the forum to bring this up but I just returned from Calgary as our youngest son decided to go to the oil rigs instead of waiting for border to open. Being from Manitoba he and I don’t know much about this field. Always heard of the horror stories of men getting injured being a roughneck. Are the rigs the most dangerous in the oil patch and or have their safety records really improved over the years?

Things are much more sfety oriented in the patch. Its all about liability these days and nobody wants accidents.

As a side note, there are good paying jobs as equipment operators ( cats) out there too. Better quality of working life in my opinion.

keep it in mind if he wants a change.

Comment

Speaking as a parent of two sons with oil patch careers, all aspects of the oil patch can be dangerous. BUT all areas of the agriculture industry have associated dangers. The drilling industry has some very specific safety requirements in place. The days of a young fellow just walking on a lease and going to work are over, some basic training must occur before the first day on the rig floor.
      There are dangers in the transportation industry, hauling hazardous substances, log hauling, etc. have their own type of danger.
      common sense plays a huge part in all industries. If your son wants a career in the drilling industry, ensure that he has the basic training and that he knows what his job entails.

Comment

I guess I'll throw in my two bits by saying that the experience he'll gain from it will be worth alot in the long run. I've had some close calls running hoe and dozer, and I've had some close calls on the rig floor. The biggest dark side to the oilpatch is that, despite all the advances in safety policies and training, when it comes down to getting the job done on D-day, safety will get thrown out the window. I see that all the time. When they want it done NOW, they don't mind danger if you don't get hurt and cost them a claim.
        But, that's where you can exercise your 'right to refuse'. Good luck. It's just like anything else really - just common sense.

Comment

Magpie the people above have some good advice.I worked the rigs from 79 to 84 mostly deep holes a year or so to lease. I enjoyed the experince very much. The most dangerous part about it for me was working with Hydrogen Sulfide gas. The only injury I personaly sustained was a broken finger and a broken nose. The worst I ever saw was a fellow got his forearm sliced bad. But I would think things move alot faster on the smaller rigs. Along the way there was alot of other job offers from rig jackers, heavy equipment operators, Frac companies, bit companies, offshore drilling the list goes on and on. So once your son gets some experience if he feels uncomfortable with his surroundings he can go on to so many other things. I am still trying to figure out why I selected farming maybe it just gets in the blood.

Comment

Well thanks for the info. It’s good to hear from others who have experienced the oil patch as sometimes hearing from family they don’t always tell one about the dangers as the dollar signs get in the way. Anyway he has taken the necessary courses, drug tests and I guess the training came when he started as a lease hand. It seems rather fast that he is now a roughneck when he started 3 weeks ago. I suppose time will tell if he is cut out for this work. I will agree that common sense plays important role in safety no matter which field one works in .

Comment

magpie, it isn't easy work, and if your son is determined and willing, he can climb the 'ladder' so to speak and make good money. The drilling industry is booming and the work is available. One of my sons has his own drilling consulting company, he is in charge on the lease, and the safety of the men is his first concern because he represents the resource company and they do not want anyone getting injured . Good luck to your son, pretty soon you can hit him up for a loan !!!

Comment

Safety and safety concerns have become a big deal for all oil companies and they have really cleaned up their act. On the big rigs even the work isn't all that hard anymore...now the service rigs are a bit different...those boys really earn their money!
                The days when the crew sat in the bar all day before reporting for the midnight shift are long gone!

Comment

Yes the wild days are over but the crazy wages are going strong !000 $ a day and up for consultants an enginer on every lease a foreman for any equipt on site a Mill$ worth of pickups at every gathering, is it any wonder it costs $50 to change the oil in the tractor.And 100$ worth of fuel to do a little work.

Comment

Nerves I’m not sure what or how deep the hole he is drilling; but I looked up the company on the internet and they have rigs that drill 3000 meters. The course he had, informed him of hydrogen sulfide gas. Emrald1 he does want to crawl up the ladder if he thinks this is what he might make a career out of. Would there be any schooling or courses he could take to help him do that? He is not afraid of work or getting education to better himself.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.