• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Konisiwa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konisiwa

Gotta like this one.

Japan Favors Canada Over US Beef

U.S. data on beef production vary according to farms

Tuesday, December 7

(Kyodo) _ A mission sent by the Japanese government to analyze measures to prevent mad cow disease in North America presented a report Tuesday indicating the need to substantially limit beef imports from the United States even when Japan removes a ban on them, government officials said.

Data on slaughtered cows were found to vary greatly from farm to farm in the United States, they said.

The mission visited farms and other cow-related facilities in Alberta, Canada, and the U.S. state of Kansas from Nov. 29 until Friday in order to gather data to help the government decide whether to remove an import ban on beef from the United States and Canada imposed after the discovery of mad cow disease in the two countries.

Planning to allow imports of beef only from cows slaughtered when they were 20 months old or younger, the government requires accurate data on the age of cows as a condition for lifting the ban.

The mission found that Canada has a nationwide system to trace each cow while the accuracy and storage of data on beef production in the United States vary greatly in accordance with farms in the absence of a uniform recording system.

Based on the mission report, a farm ministry official said that while resumption of full-scale beef imports from Canada is highly likely if necessary conditions are met, imports of American beef will be substantially limited even when the ban is removed unless accurate production data become available.

The mission consisted of officials from the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, and the Cabinet Office's Food Safety Commission.

I like it a lot, but in reality what age verification system do we have currently? Is it a case of Japanese political one-upmanship over the Americans?

Comment

I spoke to the CCIA office last week, and the lady confirmed that we will be able to input birthdates to their database as of April.

I'd say that should put us light years ahead of the Americans, don't you think?

So everybody .... when your calves hit the ground, tag em and record em. It could pay off big time.

Comment

So does that mean the first calves with verified ages will be born in April 05 or can it be backdated to calves born from Jan 1st 05? Either way it will be June 2006 before these cattle will be ready to slaughter - and that is 18 months away.

Comment

https://www.clia.livestockid.ca/CCIARG/

Comment

I wonder what portion of producers already can age verify cattle through their own herd records and tagging? Before and since the CFIA tags came about.

Comment

The USA is already got systems in place to capture age verified RFID tags. Sorry they are ahead of Canada in that department.

Comment

There may be some companies offering age verification/ID systems in the US but the advantage Canada has is an industry that recognizes the importance of Mandatory I.D. and producers who are using it.

Until MID is used industry wide in the US, Canada will hold the upper hand.

Comment

I hope they can be backdated.

We've got all of 2004 calves recorded with their birthdates and CCIA numbers already. We've been keeping records like that for years, and I bet lots of others here have too.

Go to that website, and register to use it. There's lots of good info there. Especially click on the help button.

Comment

My calving book contains records and eartags back to when my Dad started out on his own place in 1960. I don't know if anyone will believe them. Last fall I printed off a list of tags and dates of birth for all the calves I sold at auction - the auctioneers were too lazy to bother mentioning it which makes me wonder how forward looking the industry really is.

Comment

grassfarmer: I don't think the auctioneers were too lazy...its just a matter of who cares? Really...think about it?
                      A buyer sits in how many marts a week? He really couldn't care less when your calves were born, all he worries about is how he thinks they will do in the feedlot? This is the reality of the business.
                      The best thing you can possibly do if you are selling cattle at the auction is get yourself known to the buyers. This in reality is the only way you can distinguish yourself from every Tom, Dick and Harry! When any cattle buyer buys your cattle go thank him and talk to him! He will remember you because most people think he is some kind of low life parasite trying to steal their cattle! Ask him what he thinks you could do to improve your cattle or if he thinks they are the real deal!
                      The point here is to get him to remember YOU...not necessarily
                      your cattle! Business doesn't work on the product but on the PEOPLE involved!
                      This is real basic "Business 101"?
                      Not trying to lecture you here. I'm sure you already know how this works.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention this: It really helps if you are a "people person" that likes to talk to people and have a genuine interest in how people see things!
                        If you aren't, then you need to work on that, but it isn't impossible!
                        Selling anything is an art that can be learned? You just have to learn how to read people and be good with the BS! It will make you more money than anything else you do!

Comment

Cowman, I have always been able to sell my cattle on their merits without needing to BS buyers. This thread was about using birthdates to certify ages so that we can get beef sent to markets requiring age verification. I was trying to give my calf buyers last fall an opportunity to have age verified cattle should the opportunity have arisen before they were fat. It would have cost them nothing, me a little time and the auctioneers a little time. As I say they were too lazy and that is a poor attitude to business.

Comment

cowman--Sometimes a couple of Crown and Cokes every time you run into the buyer is worth several cents a pound when it comes down to calf selling time!

Comment

Okay...I understand where you were coming from now...but I suspect no one else in the auction mart did? But whatever...
                              Grassfarmer maybe we have a slight communication problem here? When I say BS him I don't mean lies or untruths. I just mean you play the game and "Smooze" the buyer? You stroke him and try to get an idea of what he wants?
                              I wasn't trying to imply you have to decieve him or something like that! Everyone, in any kind of business, has to be a salesman. No matter how good your product is you have to sell it? From the farmer selling his cattle to the high tech software dealer?
                              The fact is sales are what makes a business successful, in my opinion! Maybe not in yours?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...