• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grazing Management Conference

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grazing Management Conference

How many of you are planning on attending the conference next week? I believe it was emrald who posted that 350 are registered for it. I believe there are going to be some great speakers at it and I wish I could go, but there are other commitments next week.

For those of you who are going, if you hear some interesting things, would you mind sharing and posting a summary of them?

Now that winter looks like it is here for real, it would be a great opportunity to discuss some of what you hear there.

Cheers,

I will be attending a portion of the conference, and will pick up whatever materials are available at the registration desk, and pass on what info I can.
    Winter is sure here, almost hate to head out to do chores this morning !!!

Comment

I for one am looking forward to the discussions and learnings that you will share.

Comment

I wasn't aware of the conference until I heard about it on Call of the Land this past week. I hope the current weather doesn't cause cancellations, as it sounds like a very good conference.
        I anticipate that some of the content will be about managing riparian areas and water quality etc.

Comment

If anyone is interested you can check out the full conference agenda on ARECA's web site (www.areca.ab.ca. Featured speakers this year are Jim Gerrish,Wayne Burleson, and Paul MacInnes.

MJ

Comment

The Pasture Management Conference opened last evening. Folks from as far away as Smithers and Prince George BC were in attendance. Many of the forage associations had reps there. I didn't attend today, and am not going to be there tomorrow, but apparently there is some sort of announcement regarding some Federal initiative. Anne McLellans office called the organizers asking to have time on the agenda tomorrow.

Comment

Has anyone heard what the big announcement was at the conference? I can't find any press releases about it. I have a hunch as to what it might be, but will save my speculation in deference to the real deal.

Comment

Could this be it>

Canada Proposes Limits on Feed Ingredients to Combat Mad Cow
                Dec. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Canada unveiled draft rules today designed to combat mad cow disease by banning the use of cattle parts suspected of spreading the brain-wasting ailment in both cattle feed and pet food, the government said.

The proposed restrictions, which ban the use of cattle brains and spinal-cord tissue, are an expansion of a joint U.S. and Canadian 1997 ban on feeding cattle parts to cattle, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said in statement. A public comment period on the rules runs until Feb. 24, 2005.

Comment

I'll check around today and see if I can find out what the announcement was, of if there really was one !!

Comment

Check out: http://www.albertabeef.org/bsenews.asp?newsindex=194

New Regulation Proposed for BSE-Related Feed Controls

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has proposed amendments to federal regulations that will strengthen existing animal feed controls. The amendments are intended to further protect Canadian cattle from bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

The proposed amendments prohibit the use of specified risk material (SRM) in animal feeds, including pet food. SRM are cattle tissues that may contain the agent that causes BSE. The Government of Canada already requires the removal of SRM from the human food supply, which is the most effective measure that can be taken to protect public health from BSE.

The amendments also prohibit the use of SRM in fertilizers. This provision is intended to prevent the potential accidental or intentional misuse of fertilizers as feed. As well, it addresses the possibility that contaminated grazing pastures could spread BSE, although the current science surrounding the environmental behavior of the disease is incomplete.

The proposed regulations have been placed in the Canada Gazette Part 1. A 75-day comment period ending February 24, 2005 is being provided to give regulated industries, trading partners and other interested parties the opportunity to review the proposed amendments and provide the CFIA with written comments.

Comment

So does that mean then that they won't be using SRM's in chicken and pig food either? If it does, then amen to that. We need to keep it out of anything that might be eaten by an animal that is going into the food chain.

Comment

Farmers_son,
                        When you quoted the report "As well, it addresses the possibility that contaminated grazing pastures could spread BSE, although the current science surrounding the environmental behavior of the disease is incomplete." I thought you had mis-typed the last line. Maybe it should read "is complete b********t" instead of "is incomplete"

Comment

LOL I think your typing is better than mine. I just heard on the radio that CFIA is predicting these new measures will cost the industry between 20 - 27 million dollars annually with the expected result that BSE will be eliminated from the Canadian herd in 10 years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...