• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dispersal prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispersal prices

Bred cattle were making a great trade in Rimbey today - A dispersal of fairly good sim/hereford cows were making $800 - $925, a run of average black (I suspect beefbooster) bred heifers were making $1000 - $1025. I'm surprised that there seems to be plenty money out there to buy cows - more surprising is who wants more cows at the moment? most of us have more than enough at the moment. Who is confident of expanding on mature cows at @ $900 with culls bringing $200. There was an Alberta farm plated truck in the parking lot with an R-Calf sticker on it - strange. Most of the cattle went locally or east of HWY 2 to Delbourne, Clive etc.

thanks for the info grassfarmer. It sounds like the producer that was selling didn't lose their shirt which is a good thing. $1000 for bred heifers isn't too bad is it? I think that the prices are reflecting the fact that some people have more feed than they will use, and likely not much market to sell it depending on where they are located in the province.The weather has been above normal so the cows haven't cost too much to winter so far, and just maybe there is some optimism out there in rural Alberta.

Comment

I see VJV sale was dear today on light weight calves. One seller with big numbers sold 129 steers 513lb for 1.215($623), 74 st 437lb for 134.4 ($588), 71 heifers 510lbs for 115.5 ($589), 92 heifers 461lbs for 1.20($553). Who would have believed that even a month ago? They weren't set-aside so I don't know if that helped them a lot.

Comment

Hopefully these prices will stay for awhile. I have been travelling around the province quite a bit this past week and there is sure no shortage of liners on the move, so the cattle haulers will be pleased. I am debating when to sell my bred heifers, maybe I should load them up while the prices sound positive.

Comment

It looks to me like there is a lot more optimism in the markets. Most (including me) seem to think the worst is behind us. Local buyers are in the market. It makes it a lot harder to manipulate prices. There is also going to be a rush to get in on the bargains. Lots of “I shuda of bought in august, I could a bin rich” remorse buyers.
          If the feed is in the yard, the risk aint that big. It hasn’t got much value out here in the hinterlands of Saskatchewan.

Comment

Hope you are right greybeard. I sense some optimism around the country as well, and Lord knows it is time . Interestingly, there is a pasture management seminar in Edmonton next week and over 350 producers are registered, which is a good sign. The warm weather has allowed some producers to get most of the fall work done, so maybe they can get away for a day or so and visit with their counterparts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...