• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US/Canada Work Toward Common Goals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US/Canada Work Toward Common Goals

Canada, U.S. to work together on common goals
    CTV.ca News Staff

Smoothing over the political differences that divide their two countries, U.S. President George W. Bush and Prime Minister Paul Martin have announced plans to craft a new North American partnership.

At a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon, Bush and Martin told reporters their morning meeting failed to reach an agreement on resolving the outstanding trade issues of mad cow and softwood lumber.

But, the prime minister said they had reached agreement on devising a common strategy for the future.

"It was indeed a productive meeting," Martin said. "In fact, we agreed to put forward an agenda in which our two nations will cooperate in a practical way towards common goals."

"It's about working together to advance democratic values and fundamental freedoms around the world," he added.

Noting that North American partner Mexico will also be called to the table, the prime minister said the specific priorities would be laid out in negotiations next year.

On the subject of trade in beef and lumber, Bush told reporters he recognizes that Canadians' are eager for a quick resolution.

"I understand the integrated nature of the cattle business and I hope we can get this issue resolved as quickly as possible," Bush said, assuring his audience the White House is processing the file "as quickly as possible."

"But there's a bureaucracy involved," he added.

"I'll readily concede we've got one," the president said, referring to the potentially five-month review now underway at the Office of Business and Management.

Addressing the same issue, Martin said he understands the president's political position, but nevertheless told him that the process, as it exists, is flawed.

"The system at the present time does not correspond to the reality," Martin said, suggesting there needs to be a better way. "There is something the matter with the dispute resolution mechanism that allows these things to go on and on."

Whirlwind tour

Bush is on a whirlwind two-day tour of Canada that began in Ottawa and wraps up in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Wednesday.

Accompanied by first lady Laura Bush, as well as U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and his named successor Condoleezza Rice, Bush left Andrews Air Force Base for the short flight north early this morning.

Air Force One landed at Ottawa International Airport about an hour later, under sunny skies.

Moments after the plane came to a stop, Bush emerged with the first lady and descended to the tarmac where Governor General Adrienne Clarkson was waiting with a red carpet welcome.

Then, after a few handshakes and a quick walk to the airport terminal, the presidential motorcade whisked Bush and his entourage to Parliament Hill.

When he arrived at Parliament's Centre Block, Bush was greeted by the prime minister and his wife Sheila.

"We're so excited to be here," Laura Bush said before she and the president were shown to the Parliamentary guest register, where the president and first lady wrote their official visit to Canada into the history books.

Before disappearing to kickstart the day's one-on-one talks, Bush smiled and posed with Martin as photographers captured the moment for posterity.

Mending fences

Touted as a fence-mending mission, the trip to Ottawa marks the American president's only official visit to Canada since first taking office four years ago.

At the time, many thought Bush had snubbed Canada by choosing Mexico as the destination of his trip abroad. Relations were further strained when then-prime minister Jean Chretien refused to contribute troops to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

Hoping to abandon his predecessor's legacy of bad blood with Washington since he was elected prime minister, Martin has done his best to thaw relations.

At their press conference on Tuesday, the two leaders did their best to show they've made progress on that front.

When reporters tried to corner the president on his differences with Canada on the war in Iraq, for example, Bush wasn't fazed.

"I made some decisions, obviously, that some in Canada didn't agree with... But the agenda that the prime minister and I talked about is one... where most should agree," he said.

Among the areas of common ground, he continued, is the desire to help spread democracy around the world.

"I fully understand there are some in my country, probably in your country and around the world that do not believe that Iraq has the capacity of self-government... That's not what I think."

Describing himself as ""the kind of fella who does what he thinks is right," Bush suggested he'd take the same approach to Iraq if the issue arose today.

"I'll consult with my friends and neighbours, but if I thinks think it's right to remove Saddam Hussein for the security of the United States that's the course of action that I'll take."

Following up on Bush's remarks, Martin admitted Ottawa and Washington disagree on "various questions of foreign policy," but chose instead to turn the focus to the country's shared values.

"It's quite normal among countries to have this kind of disagreement. But we have common shared values, shared ambitions and we share optimism also. That is what is fundamental."

Later tonight, the President skips across the border into Quebec, for a dinner of New Brunswick lobster and Alberta beef in the Grand Hall of Gatineau's Museum of Civilization.

Skipping the Parliamentary address of his presidential predecessors, Bush is reserving his big public speech for Halifax on Wednesday. That's when he is expected to thank Atlantic Canadians for their help in the wake of the Sept. 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

Laura Bush has left preparations for the first presidential Christmas party of the season back at the White House, to accompany her husband on his Canadian visit. She joined her northern counterpart Sheila Martin Tuesday morning for a tour of the National Art Gallery.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1101842642309_26/?hub=TopStories

Take care.

They have a plan alright if we supply the vasiline then we wont have nothing to complain about as everything else is progresing as to plans.

Comment

Well I guess that was all we could expect, right? I mean the man says he's working on it. And I guess we all know how slow the beuracracy can be?
      I caught one TV blurb where he said very clearly he was looking forward to eating some good Alberta Beef! I would suggest that was a signal to America and Canada that this thing will soon be over?
      Hats off to the Canadian government for keeping the troublemakers far away from the president and his entourage! Last thing we need is a bunch of loonies/lefties giving the wrong impression.

Comment

"Last thing we need is a bunch of loonies/lefties giving the wrong impression."

I am curious just what you think that wrong impression would be? That Canadians don't support the illegal war in Iraq? That Canadians do not support prisoner abuse and the killing of unarmed prisoners? Or that Canadians do not support American protectionism in softwood lumber, cattle, and so on and so on.

Certainly it is time Bush thanked Canadians for taking in Americans on 9/11 and that is a good thing. He should have done that years ago, for instance September 11 or 12, 2001. Maybe better late than never but waiting three years to say thanks has a bit of a hollow ring to it.

But I do not think we owe Bush and the U.S. administration any thanks for their handling of the BSE situation. It looks like two years or more before any live cattle go south after May 20. There is no way that kind of time table is science based, it is protectionism all the way.

Loonies/lefties? If I had been in the area I would have been holding a placard myself. If there was a wrong impression given it was that only 5000 people were protesting, there should have been at least 50,000. 125,000 would have been more like it. It would have made more impact to protest in Ottawa yesterday than was achieved by protests at Coutts two summers ago.

We really should not have to kiss up to Bush to see fair trade take place. Just another example of why we need a Canadian packing industry so we are not so dependent upon live cattle trade to the U.S.

We did not need Bush to eat Alberta beef at the Ottawa dinner. We needed him to take a live steer home with him on Air Force One.

Comment

Well farmers son, the purpose of Bushes visit was mending fences? I believe that is how the press was promoting it? And I do believe you get more flies with honey than vinegar?
          Do we really need a bunch of troublemakers screaming at the US president about a war that we can do absolutely nothing about and really isn't any of our business?
          George Bush made a mistake in Iraq. He now has a tiger by the tail and I doubt he'll be able to let go without some serious damage! But now is not the time to sneer and say I told you so. Everyday American boys are coming home in boxes and that is a tradgedy that we all should feel?
          I would suggest to you that now is the time to stand up beside our brother(USA) and give them our support? It's like family?...They may treat you badly but when push comes to shove...you are going to be there?
          Well that's how I see it anyway.

Comment

fatherson... I agree with you on the matter of american foreign policy...but to put the blame on the american government for all our problems is a bit hypocritical when our own federal and provincial governments have no agriculture policy of their own...has it not been said before how our government picked winners and losers in the packing industry before... well nothing has changes...our own government is still picking them while the cattle associations sit back allowing it to happen with everyone's checkoff dollars ...what bullcrap...

Comment

Cowman: Good points. You may be right.

I am not sure Bush made a mistake in Iraq, although he did lie about the purpose of that war. And certainly the American people were mislead about the Iraqi people welcoming the occupying U.S. military forces into their country. Did Bush not know and simply make a mistake or did he know full well and just lie about it? That is something historians will decide.

Certainly one of the purposes of the visit was to mend fences. I think Bush also took the visit as an opportunity to make some major foreign policy statements while he was here. The Bush remark that I find most disturbing is, to quote from CattleAnnie's post, "I'll consult with my friends and neighbours, but if I think it's right to remove Saddam Hussein for the security of the United States that's the course of action that I'll take." That kind of unilateral action by any country has no place in a modern world that should have respect for the international rule of law.

What I hope was achieved by this visit is an understanding that Canada can take foreign policy positions independent of the United States without fear of trade retaliation. I note Martin's remarks in French that Canada was fundamentally opposed to the weaponization of space. I am left wondering if that remark will cause the border to remain closed to live cattle for a couple of months longer. Guess I am just cynical.

I still think Canadians should be able to tell their American friends and brothers/sisters when they are making a mistake. That is what family does, isn't it.

Comment

I think that we should save our advice and involve ourselves as we see fit in the war on terrorism. Bush seems to have decided to respect our decision not to become involved in the iraq conflict, and he also seems to indicate that he will dance to his own tune in the war against crime, which is his right. I think a warm welcome was the best possible way to handle his visit. He heaped praise on Martin, which is likely the most praise Martin has received in the last few months !!!!
                Whether folks agree with the war on Iraq or not, is really not the issue. When company is invited to my home, I make them welcome, even if I don't necessarily agree with all they do and stand for, but I keep my comments to myself when it comes to things that are THEIR BUSINESS.

Comment

One thing you can say about George Bush is he doesn't seem to twist in the wind! He seems to get an idea and it sticks in his head.
                  I certainly don't think he did the right thing by invading Iraq. Maybe the best thing he could do would be to turn old Saddam loose and let him clean up the mess! I suspect Saddam would have those boys whipped back into shape in no time!LOL
                  The thing we need to realize is George Bush is what we have to deal with for the next four years...and that's just how it is! We can either work with him or be against him! I think he realizes he needs some friends in the world right now and he needs some support? In return I think he might be open to treating us a bit better?

Comment

Emrald1: If you saw a bully beating up on someone smaller what would you do? Would you attempt to stop it or would you say it was none of your business and do nothing.

Cowman: I would add to your comments that Bush needs some friends that instead of seeking to have the U.S. treat us better we try to lever a better relationship with Bush to move the U.S. administration’s foreign policies more towards the mainstream of the rest of the world community. After all, it is not just about Canadians. Canada can play an international role here.

Comment

farmerson, I don't get your question. I think that Bush did step in to help in Iraq where a bully was at work. My point is that it is not our country's God given right to critize him for doing so. We did not become in volved in the conflict, and I agree with that. We have now offered to work in Iraq and I agree with that, however, I still maintain that we as a country cannot continue to critize the US at every turn. Working with them where possible, and minding our business on areas that don't concern us will make for the best relations in the long run.

Comment

How much of a strain do you think it will put on the relations between our two countries if Canada opts not to get into the whole missle defence thing, which Bush was alluding to in the various press conferences that were held?

I'm just wondering about this as it will likely play a part in how well we get along in the future. Should we sell or save our own souls? I don't know if there is a clear answer for this one or not. If getting the border open more quickly and seeking some form of resolution on the trade issues involves going somewhere we might not want to go, should we do it? I have to admit to some ambivalence about it. What do the rest of you think?

Comment

farmers son: I believe that has always been our role? Sort of a bit of common sense when the Americans go off the deep end?
                          Yes George Bush made a mistake in Iraq. They are there now and they need some help/support getting there butts out of there in a reasonable manner? Our role is to help them do that?
                          As far as the missile defence thing goes....is it a smart thing to do? Well we do live on this continent and we do have a history on this thing? Remember the DEW line?
                          Canada has not bought into a lot of the USAs' ideas but the fact of the matter is America believes this is necessary? And who are we to say they... don't know what they are doing? I say yes lets go along with this one! What have we got to lose?

Comment

cowman, I tend to agree with you on the missile defense issue. Martin has said he advised Bush that Canada will defend our own border, but if there were major terrorist attacks I wonder what in hell we would defend it with ?????? We do need to work with the US whenever possible, but not sell our souls if we can avoid it.

Comment

This is probably one of those things where one is caught between a rock and a hard place. Given the current state of our defence system, we really don't have too much choice, or at least that is the way it appears to be at any rate. One does have to wonder how well we could defend ourselves if we were forced to do so.

While I do remember hearing something about the dew line I have to admit that I don't know too much about it (might be that I'm too young to really remember?)

How would you get one - our defence - without loosing all the rest? I don't know if it is possible to separate the two.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...