• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bred Cows and Heifers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bred Cows and Heifers

Have any of you been to sales in the past couple of weeks, and if so, what are good bred cows and heifers bringing ?
    Lots of dispersals are being advertised on the radio.
    I guess if folks have extra feed or fall pasture and want to take a chance on brighter days ahead, now is a good time to add some good females to the herd.

emerald 1 -- I was at a sale two weeks ago in Lethbridge and good bred cows were going for 400 to 450. Darn few went for more but lots were passed throught the ring. Real fancy bred heifers were topping out at 800 but many went for 500 to 600. I got a nice bunch of bred heifers that I planned on selling before year end but at that price I guess I'll be calving 'em out.

Comment

Thanks gopher, thats the same boat I am in. Nice fancy heifers but really don't want to keep all of them.

Comment

Prices were up on Saturday in Brooks AB. Good red Heifers $960.00-$1050
        Blacks about $900
        Cows $450.00
        Seems to be optimism in the cattle industry. Some talk of good things happening this week.But we have all heard this before.

Comment

Bush is supposed to provide the timelines for the border opening so if it is within the next six months I can see the prices on breds increasing.

Comment

Westlock on wed had over 800 cows and they were in the 8to900$ range with older but useful cows 550/700 hefrs $800 to 930.
            Clyde 1300 all one owner suposidly reciver ship on sat I hear was about the same with younger cows $800 plus didnt hear about hfrs.
            Is that hope or speculation.

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I wondered about some of the DISPERSAL sales and whether they were really receivership sales. Too darn bad if folks are going under when the border may open within six months.

Comment

emrald1: you may be interested in this site on farm bankruptcies:
                http://www.agr.gov.sk.ca/docs/statistics/finance/other/bankrupt03.pdf

In 2003, 19 livestock farms in Alberta, 4 in Saskatchewan and 10 in Manitoba went bankrupt. Overall 68 livestock farms in Canada were bankrupted. Livestock farm bankruptcies were higher in 1989-1992 than in 2003.

In 2003, overall 202 Canadian farms declared bankruptcy up 13% from 2002. The majority of these farms were field crop operations.

Comment

Farmers son: I wonder how come livestock operations were going under in 1989-1992? Seems to me that was one of the best times I can remember for cattle prices? I know it was for calf prices.
                  I suspect anyone who has made it this far has fairly deep pockets or is such an idiot they can't see anything beyond the rear end of a cow!
                  Now I'm not really up on my fat prices but if you assume 80 cents and an 1100 pound heifer then $900 for a bred isn't very much ? I mean $20 difference? The bull has to cost at least that much?

Comment

in my area there is a lot of potential for off farm income so the operations that continue to remain viable are the ones that carry the least amount of debt. Only thing is that those folks sure aren't getting any younger and it is only a matter of time before they literally can't keep doing the work involved, so they will likely phase out of the industry. There have been a few that have gotten in over their heads and had to walk away from their operation but thankfully not many.

Comment

Emerald 1 I realy have to marvel at your enthusium shall we say ,what makes you think the border is going to open in 6 mo and just how much help do you feel it will give you or the industry.
                      Just got to love those rose colored glasses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...