• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge trade sanctions on US to come?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said Emerald!!!!!!!! I agree entirely lets hope this is what happens.

Comment

I read in the Edmonton Journal today that the Premier is going to join the other Premiers at a dinner with the President. Lets hope HE doesn't say anything obnoxious !!!!

Comment

You likely got a better chance of shutting everyone else up.

Comment

Unfortunately it seems that way doesn't it ? Hopefully his new Chief of Staff can keep him in check !!!

Comment

This from CNN News today. For an American perspective on the Byrd Amendment see:
            http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/11/26/wto.sanctions.ap/index.html

WTO slaps punitive taxes on U.S. exports... Escalation of trade dispute could cost $150 million per year

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The World Trade Organization imposed penalties Friday on a host of U.S. exports, escalating a trade dispute the Bush administration has struggled to defuse by unsuccessfully urging Congress to repeal legislation aimed at protecting American [interests].

The administration signaled it would accept the penalties in the short term, but also warned that the United States would aggressively protect its own trading interests...

The value of the sanctions hasn't been determined, but trade officials estimated them at more than $150 million a year. That compares with the $2 billion in sanctions the EU threatened in its successful bid to force the United States to lift illegal tariffs on foreign steel last year.

The 2000 law, known as the Byrd amendment for its main backer, Sen. Robert Byrd, a Democrat of West Virginia, lets the U.S. government fine foreign companies that it judges to be selling goods in America at below-market prices. The revenue is paid to U.S. companies to help them better compete.

[Products other than steel] on the list of sanctions include U.S. cod, apples, glassware, cigarettes, mobile homes, textiles and heavy machinery made by companies such as Caterpillar Inc., based in Illinois -- the home state of House Speaker Dennis Hastert. The products, say EU officials, were chosen because they are produced in politically important parts of the United States, and the new duties "could help Congress focus its mind on compliance," said former EU trade spokeswoman Arancha Gonzalez, who stepped down this week.

But overwhelming Senate support for the Byrd amendment makes changes unlikely.

Comment

I think if Ralph is sober he will be fine.

Comment

Given his recent "Almighty" comments, Mr. Love appears to have his work cut out for him.

Comment

Are you getting a sense that there is a strong possibility that the Premier will step down in a year, or will face a leadership review ???

Comment

Isnt it ironic that everyone loves Ralph but they also seem to know that he is just a figurehead and someone else is realy pulling his chain for the past it was Steve West now we are back to rod love I wonder how many of you Ralphites would vote for Mr LOve I would guess not very many.

Comment

who do you see as Ralph's successor when he decides to step down ?

Comment

Excellent question Emerald! Now I would suspect a good conservative choice would be Gary Mar? After all he's already proven that he knows how to waste vast sums of money and also knows how to take care of his buddies? But then again he's not a Caucasian so little chance of getting elected in good old red neck Alberta?
                        My own choice would be Ted Morton, but I suppose that is unlikely, as he might actually stand up for Alberta, instead of blustering away at Ottawa while secretly giving them everything they could possibly desire!
                        I was really amazed that Ralph created a new minister for government efficiency and reorganization? I mean look at this? He creates another level of beuracracy to contain the present beuracracy? This makes sense?
                        However if his goal was to get a few more jobs for his political hacks and to waste some more money then he certainly picked the right man! Oulette is about as useless as they come...I know he's my MLA! He's awful good at "studying things" and having "meaningful public input" but pretty well useless at anything else. All you'll get from this guy is lots of waste, more government regulations, patronage and platitudes! A do nothing politician for a do nothing portfolio!

Comment

Water...what is it worth? How do you price it and who owns it?
                          Unfortunately our governments say they own it and after all who is the government but us, right?
                          Well actually we all know that isn't quite how it works. The "real" government is not us but a self appointed "elite" that uses the rest of us for their bloated incomes.
                          Water rights are a thing that needs to be established in Canada, like it already exists in the USA? I believe you should own the water under your land just like you(or someone else) should own the oil and gas under your land?
                          When(and if) water rights are established, then you will have the right to buy or sell or trade your water. Or not! This is only fair as it is your property? The same way the oil and gas are your property?

Comment

scuttle butt in the boondocks is that Jim Dinning is waiting in the wings and has tremendous support among the rank and file PC membership. Gary Mar has embarassed government and it is doubtful if he has a chance at the leadership whenever it happens. Morton might get the support of the 'Conservative/Alliance' party membership and there are a lot of them in rural Alberta. My gut feeling is that the membership will want a leadership review or something within a year, likely after all the pomp and circumstance for the Centennial is over, but the Premier won't be ready to retire .

Comment

Water issues will continue to be contentions here in Alberta. The new Minister is going to have to deal with water usage in the Tar Sands and that will be interesting.

Comment

I would agree about Dinning - he has been rumoured to be the heir for a while now. Mar didn't do himself any favors over the whole EA and his contract incident, so unless his fortunes change dramatically, I cannot foresee him throwing his hat into the ring. The name of the fellow who got defeated in Edmonton escapes me at the moment, but he was touted as having potential.

Heard today on the news that the WHOLE PC party and it's mandate will be looked at from top to bottom. It would appear as though Ralph is a little bit shaken by the fact that they have fallen to 61 seats from a record 83! For some strange reason he seems to feel it could be the policies and the mandate of the party. Could it be he needs to look just a wee bit closer to home??!?!?!?!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.