• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Cows?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cows?

I laughed yesterday when I read Gearld Fry's latest prediction - that red cows will be the next big trend in US beef herds. Apparently now that 85% of the American cattle are black he is pointing out that "black cattle are poorly suited for a country as open, hot and sunny as ours" Is this BS or a factor that breeders have not thought about? Which colour suits Canada's climate and conditions best?

Grassfarmer another interesting question my thoughts would be white. Just kidding probably if you looked at the animals that were here before humans were here it would probably give us a reasonable answer maybe the Buffalo or mule deer would have the most diserable color.

Comment

Consultants have to have some thing different or they would be out of biz. Funny the first 3 letters of consultant is CON.

Comment

Don't you think we have a lot more cold days than hot days - particularly here in Alberta? I've always been told you don't eat the color.

Comment

Geez, I always heard that the black cows were well suited to the hot climate because they didn't get sunburned udders !!
          I have both black and red cows and they both seem to survive equally well when we get -40. In fact they survive one heck of a lot better than their owner !!

Comment

Take a little of Bonsma,add some B.S.-just a pinch of truth-a smidgeon of fact and a big dollop of p.r. and you have Supergene 0r Gerald Fry or JimLeachman or etcetra these guys show up every few years trying to reinvent the wheel with their ideas and your money. Let's face it somebody must of had a few good cows somewhere in North America already or we'd all go broke. Most of these guys are just putting a spin on the teachings of Dr.Bonsma-now he knew his stuff-as for black cows vs red cows-I have both and they both get along just fine up here in the tundra.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.