• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Buyers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Buyers

I have been told that it is not possible for a foreign (US) rancher to lease, buy, or own ranch property in Canada. That land has to be sold or leased to another Canadian or that if a corporation buys it that there has to be a Canadian CEO. Is this true or just another of the tales we hear?

That is a very good question, Willowcreek. I do not know the definitive answer, but do know that a US outfit is rumoured to have bought considerable holdings in Central Alberta. How the deal is structured is anyones guess, but I for one would like to know.

Comment

Maybe someone familar with the history of the Douglas lake ranch could help fill us in on who has owned it and presently owns it now.

Comment

http://www.douglaslake.com/history.htm

Comment

Well Willow lake I'm not real sure about Saskatchewan or Manitoba, but in Alberta I think it is this: If you have the money come on up! We'll sell you just about everything we have...just take a look at our oil and gas industries?
          Saskatchewan used to be so backward that they used to limit out of the province buyers to 320 acres but I think reality hit them a bit and they changed that...or maybe not?
          If you are an American looking to buy, then don't even consider Saskatchewan or Manitoba! They have this real "unhealthy" attitude of electing these little commie regimes that just kill anything of a "capitalist nature"?
          Come to Alberta...where Yankee dollars are always welcome!

Comment

Cowman- you may be right, since the land we were talking about was in Saskatchewan. Anyway during a conversation about the border closure, I mentioned that it was funny that more of the US owners in Canada had not been more vocal--That is when a local rancher said that he had tried to buy and lease a nice ranching operation in SK a few years ago and couldn't do it without taking on a Canadian partner. Seemed ironic to me tho after Canada had allowed the US companies to take over the packing industry.

Comment

Cowman if my memory serves me right was"nt the person who started this whole BSE mess a catfish farmer from the States who came up to northern Alberta to buy into some of this cheap land? I wonder how he is doing nowdays.

Comment

with the payout he got he should be doing very well !!!

Comment

Willow Creek if you want to move to SASK you could buy land but they restrict foriegn ownership to Canadian citizens. And that just changed in the last couple of years.

Comment

Alberta has foreign ownership of land regulations as well. Waaaay back when I was a land paralegal we had to deal with them and I'm relatively certain that they are still in existence today, although what the threshold for ownership would be now I have no idea.

Comment

See: Foreign Ownership of Land Administration http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/information/registries/fola.cfm

Foreign corporations can own up to 49.9% of farm land. As well the Foreign Ownership of Land Administration does not apply to leases of up to 20 years. Note that exemptions can be applied for, for example landed immigrants may be exempt. We do see Americans owning farm land in Alberta so obviously ways are found around the Foreign Ownership of Land Act and Regulations. More work for lawyers.

I am wondering if there are similar laws in effect in the U.S.

Comment

nerves: I believe I read an article where he left for awhile but is now back and farming. I guess a few people made it sort of hot for him for awhile.
                        However we might view what he did, the fact of the matter is he did not give this cow BSE. Now why anyone would haul a cow to town that was obviously a downer with pneumonia is beyond me, but that was his decision.
                        He probably came out of the whole situation smelling like a rose? I think I heard he got like $1400/cow from the federal government? I don't know about you but I sure haven't been selling too many $1400 cows lately?

Comment

It's an act of kindness that you need a Canadian partner-to help with the funny coloured money,bilingual cornflakes and to explain offsides in hockey.

Comment

cowman, try $2200 a pair !!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the link farmers_son. A very comprehensive statement until it gets to the 'application for exemptions' part.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...