• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Borders Could Open Next Year

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Borders Could Open Next Year

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041120.wmcow1120/BNStory/Front/

Santiago, Chile — Prime Minister Paul Martin's meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush Saturday yielded a move on the mad-cow dispute that could lead to U.S. borders being opened to Canadian beef as early as next spring.

Canadian officials said that Mr. Bush had promised to act Monday to refer a new trade rule -- that would in theory open the border -- to the Office of Management and Budget, a move that Mr. Martin labeled a "significant step."

Once the rule is referred to the OMB, it sets in train a series of deadlines that would lead to the opening of the border sometime next year, probably in the spring — unless Congress derails it.

Are you insane farmers son, that "new" BSE case in the states was timed specifically to throw a monkey wrench in the whole border opening thing once again. You're new to this site aren't you? Have a good evening nontheless and no disrespect by the way, I just don't see it happening any time soon. Have a good night all!

Comment

I agree with farmers_son on this one - whenever the border opens I don't think this new case will have much of an effect. I think the markets have stayed steadier this time. Farmers_son isn't new to the site is he?? seems we've read quite a lot from him - all very well researched stuff too.

Comment

Whitey - easy does it girl, all we can do is wait this one out for a few days.

When are you heading out to Regina, and how can I reach you once we are in the land of stubble?

Comment

Whiteface: LOL...Just a little insane helps keep me in the cattle business. I would prefer to be called eccentric but I don't have enough money for that. I am new, only been here for a little while, although I was reading the threads before I actually posted anything.

Just pasted a news clip in this thread, not my thoughts. Both Reuters and the Globe broke the story at the same time. No doubt there is a lot of politics going on with BSE but it has been that way since before May 2003. One thing I do believe to be true, the U.S. will use BSE and the border closure to extract a price from Canada and once that price is paid the border will open, not before. I am concerned that it will be a horrible price, sending troops to Iraq. We may hear more about this when Bush comes to Canada at the end of this month.

Comment

I know you've been here a while farmers son and I have enjoyed very much the comments and observations you have brought to the forum, was just letting off a little steam, glad you realized that!
            I'm sneaking off Thursday morning Randy and hope to be in Regina that evening. If you're staying at the same place as last year I know where to find you! Otherwise, I'll be cruising around the Hereford barn seeing what kind of trouble I can find. I'm only there 4 days and have a lot of people to see in a short time - but I'm sure hopeing you're one of them! Have a good day!

Comment

I find farmers son very informative? Sort of like how rsommer was?
              Whatever...? Things are a little slow around here so I'll stir the pot and ask this question?
              How do purebred breeders justify their continued existence? You know...doing the things like Farmfair and Agribition? I wonder if they feel the reality of the BSE crisis in any way, shape or form? Or are they in some sort of "dream world" that has nothing to do with the "real" world of commercial beef production?
              Before you totally roast me...remember this....I'm only pulling your chain!

Comment

cowman, I just looked over the sale results for one of the breeds at the Farmfair sale and a couple of private breeders sales and I am asking the same questions you are? The avereage for one sale was $4700, and the Farmfair sale averaged $2700 and this years calves made up half the lots, so either the buyers aren't making their living in the cattle business or they have more money than they know what to do with !

Comment

I won't roast you cowman, I'll just invite you down to my place, what, its like a 20 minute drive for you and I'll show you EXCACTLY how I justify my existance. You just may even end up being one of those die hard Charolais guys (Simmental guys are real proud too!) that ends up buying a bull from me! I've been told "I don't care what color the bull is, if my calves could look like that, I'll make money on them" and with that he outbid all the purebred guys to own my bull and one of the high sellers of the sale (and REAL money by the way for all of you that think its all smoke and mirrors!) He absolutly loves him too and has bought several more from me since. Just one of my many credentials and you're next! Any time cowman, come have a look, even a die hard like you will love my cattle and justify my existance. Howz that fer stiring the pot right back at ya! Have a good evening all!

Comment

Farmers Son Thank you for the congrats on my election to ABP. Sorry for not posting earlier but have not been at the computer for a few days and decided to post on this thread as the other was getting a little old. I will briefly try to respond to your questions. As new ABP delegate I will try hard to be elected to the board of directors as I believe I can make a positive contribution. I will strongly support the industry council as I believe that a well rounded board representing a broad range of the beef and cattle industry will serve us all better in the end. The production sector cannot continue to be isolate itself from the rest of the chain. As for producer owned packing plants I say bring them on! If that is what it takes to increase slaughter capacity in this country, so be it. I think that it will be difficult for them to survive but if we build them right, in the end someone will take them over and make them work.

Comment

Farmers Son, sorry about that I pushed the wrong button. To continue, as for promotion I think that we need to focus less on actually advertising our product and more on developing programs like "quality Starts Here" for example anfd other food safety and quality related programs that will allow us to create the "story" that we will use promote the Alberta industry both at home and abroad. I think that we should also continue with some of the food service and retail programs that are currently in place. They seem to be effective from all accounts. As for the check-off, there is no question in my mind that the ABP should take a long hard look at making it refundable. I know that many current ABP supporters will differ here, but when I hear people ask "what has the ABP been doing for us, and where has the leadership been on this issue", I am certain that the ABP will be a stronger organization down the road if producers have the opportunity to voice their support or displeasure with their check-off dollars. It will be the ultimate measure of accountability that producers are looking for.

Comment

Whiteface: Sorry but my bull buying days are over and while I might still have a bit of nostalgia for Herefords, my son certainly doesn't.
                        Actually I raised horned Herefords and would never have considered a polled bull. Not because I liked horns as such but because the polled and horned versions of Hereford cattle were like night and day?
                        Today most of our cattle are polled due to Angus, polled Char and polled Sim influence. I still to this day believe the polled cattle are lacking the bone of a horned animal, but that is just a personal opinion and I'm sure not backed by science? One thing I don't like about a polled bull is their floppy sheath.
                        I've never had a problem with horned calves. Just a little paste or clip them off at vaccinating time.

Comment

Cowman - ya like that bone in cattle do ya? What the heck does that mean anyway?

BFW - you say "I will strongly support the industry council as I believe that a well rounded board representing a broad range of the beef and cattle industry will serve us all better in the end."

I wish this statement would have been part of your speach.

I think that a step like this is one more nail in the coffin for the "so called" democratic structure of ABP. If you want an industry council, let those folks run in the election like you and I had to. Then form a committee, just like the technical committee or the "Shirley's shoes" committee, or whatever committee stikes the board that day.

I personaly don't even think that the feeder council should be structured without first having general elections.
                          Does not the federal or provincial government choose representatives for portfolio's after these people have been chosen in a general election.

I don't really mind the idea of mandatory checkoff, as it is a small price to pay if and when ABP, CCA does a good job of working for the producers.
                          Accountability in a democratic process comes by way of election; screw with this democratic process and maybe your idea of voluntary checkoff is your only option.

I am glad you got in Jeff, and yes I voted for you. Your words impressed me more than any others (except my own of course). I think you are on track with thoughts of working together as an industry but feel you have a huge task ahead to make this happen. The packers have shown no interest in working with the rest of the industry for a long time now, but it is a utopia we can all dream of.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...