• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RP - Turnout at BIG C meetings

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RP - Turnout at BIG C meetings

I caught Cam on Agri-Talk yesterday, but unfortunately didn't hear all of what he had to say.

RP - how has the turnout been at the BIG C meetings that are currently going on around Alberta? What are your feelings about the meeting outcomes? Have some of you been to these meetings and if so, what are your observations there?

It certainly sounded from what I heard of Cam's talk that this group is gaining more and more momentum and the move toward a plant is taking shape.

Best of luck to all of you involved with the group, or thinking of getting involved. RP, maybe you can "cut your teeth" so to speak here and next year, or whenever the next delegate election is for ABP, you will have gained more experience, made contacts etc. and will be elected next time.

Or, thinking big, maybe BIG C will begin to be the voice that the government listens to and you won't have to go anywhere.

Thanks cakadu. First of 4 BIG C Alberta meetings last night in Hanna. I would estimate a bit less than a hundred people. The only conversation that had the least bit of opposition to the concept was a call from one fellow to buy out Nilson Bros. slaughter facilities. This is the plan of the Beef Direct group from Bentley when they can find the investment capitol they need.

The point of the BIG C concept is not so much about grabbing some of the money being made in the industry right now. The plan involves MORE slaughter capacity to start with, and has BIG goals to change the packing industry in Canada over time.

This proposal is not about a few folks with money convincing a bunch more to take part in their plan. This is a producer initiated, producer funded idea to help the producers of this country take back some of the value added profits we have been giving away for years.

I like the way Cam descibed ranchers getting together on an idea last night, "like herding squirrels".

However, Cakadu, after some time and thought,people are understanding and we are gaining more and more support for the idea. The worst thing we are running into from industry groups is ego. "Damn good idea if it would have come from our group." or "Let's do this, or lets do that to make it better".

My greatest hope is that some of the resolutions brought forward at the ABP meetings concerning producer owned plants and Levy paydown on Federal Bridge financing, find their way to the board of directors very quickly.

I was told last night that any producer can attend the ABP anual general meeting, and can speak to any resolution. I guess I have another trip planned to Calgary in December.

It sure would be nice to have all of the chairs at the back of the meeting room filled with producers at this meeting, speaking to resolutions, even if we can not vote.

Comment

Saw the BIG C two page spread in the Cattlemen magazine this month.

Excellent!

There were about 2 hundred in Brandon back a few weeks ago. Probably would have been more, but the roads weren't good at all that night. Everyone was pretty much in agreement with what they had to say, though. And thought it was well worth attending.

Anyone here who hasn't been to one should try and go if one comes to your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...