• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrhead plant

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrhead plant

Does anyone know what has happened to the plant near barrhead that the Nilsons were supposed to be buying and running?

Seems to me Nelsons bought it to tear down and dismantel.

Comment

I heard Nilsons were worried Triple J Livestock - Gary Jarvis was going to buy it. I also have heard it is being dismantled. What I would like to know is what ever happened to Nilson Brothers stock listing on the TSX??

Comment

Thanks guys I just got to wondering what happened to it and it is very likely that Nilsons would do just that to keep anyone else from competeing with them.

Comment

This plant has an interesting history. Nilssons were not the only ones interested in this plant but they were the ones to successfully put together the financing to close.
          PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., as Receiver Manager of JTB Canadian Pork Ltd., earlier accepted an offer of and received court approval of a $5,500,000 offer for the JTB assets from another purchaser and, although this potential purchaser made non-refundable payments in excess of $1,100,000, this sale did not close in mid-July 2003 as anticipated (note the date, after BSE). The terms of the $3,300,000 offer from XL Foods Inc. included a $500,000 deposit that will be non-refundable once the offer has received court approval, and a closing date within the next 60 days. People or companies opposed had until Oct. 5, 2003 to appeal the judge's decision to award the $20 million hog plant to Nilsson Bothers. The 100,000 sq. foot hog slaughtering and processing facility was originally designed to kill up to 2,000 hogs a day for the Asian market. The facility has never opened and plant construction was not completed. JTB stands for Japan, Taiwan and Barrhead. Each of the four main partners -- investor groups from Taiwan, Japan, Vancouver and Barrhead -- kicked in $2.5 million for the project. The rest was intended to be raised with debt financing.

http://harrysiemens.com/news_details.asp?nid=510
          http://archives.foodsafetynetwork.ca/animalnet/2000/11-2000/an-11-03-00-01.txt
          http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2003/10/c9067.html

Comment

Maybe I don't get it or something, but it was a hog plant? I would suggest it would need some major over hauls to accomodate beef?
            This is a no brainer in my opinion, but I would have to question how come it didn't go as a hog plant? Right now my hog growing friends are wondering where in the hell they are going to get their hogs killed now that the US is playing games ....once again?
            What is it with Nilsons? Why in the world would they buy a hog plant? Are they in the pork business?

Comment

This plant was intended as a hog plant but it never saw a hog. The County lobbied long and hard for funding and it was supposed to be the best economical development coup in history, but that didn't materialize for some reason.
              I am not sure if the problem was the lack of securing markets for the hogs, or securing the hogs themselves.

Comment

emrald, would that hog plant have been reliant on the hogs that would have been grown by Taiwan Sugar had that operation been allowed to move ahead?

Comment

I am not 100% sure but I think that the hogs were to be locally produced. There are a significant number of hog operations in Barrhead County and closeby.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...