• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoot my cows, please

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot my cows, please

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/16/Shootcows_041116.html

Leduc farmer Ed Wedman faces a maximum fine of $10,000 and a year in jail if he goes through with his scheme to sell his cows to hunters for $500 who will shoot the cows and take the beef home.

Wedman has placed a newspaper ad enticing hunters to take a shot at his Holstein steers and then lug the beef home.

"I, as a farmer, am selling beef. [Consumers] don't have to go to a store..." said Wedman.

Hey, why not? The fact is those steers are going to get shot anyway, right?
    If someone gets a thrill out of blasting them why not capitalize on it?
    I'll never forget a little story my old ornery uncle told me: These hunters came into his yard and asked him if they could go up in his place to shoot deer.
    He said " Well boys, I'm in the beef business not the deer business. I keep the deer for my own pleasure but I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll let one of these steers I own out and you can shoot the hell out of him! Gut shoot him and chase him all over the damned place! You can go and brag to all the other sports what a great bunch of great white hunters you are and on top of that he might even taste better than a road killed dog! The price is reasonable...only a buck a pound!"
    The hunters were not impressed.

Comment

Thier Ed`s steers why the hell cant he sell em to who ever he wants to? What they do to it after they own it is up to them.As far as the regulations on slaughtering goes how is it different than shooting a deer and draging it to a butcher?

Comment

...maybe if ed gets charged the ABP could pay his fine with our checkoff dollars...

Comment

And who ever said that producers weren't entrepreneurial?!?! You certainly have to give the fellow credit for trying something off the wall.

What would happen if he had the mobile butcher sitting right there to do whatever needed to be done? How easy would it be for him to sell the live animal and then let these people kill for their own consumption? I am not advocating that he do this, just wondering if there could be a legitimate way around it.

Have to give the fellow a big thumb's up for ingenuity at any rate.

Comment

From what I heard on the news, the government is complaining that he doesn't have an abbatoir licence.

You'd think they'd be more concerned with the humane or not so humane killing of these animals, rather than the red tape.

If his intention is to 'stir the pot', and bring attention back to our problems, then I'd say he's done his job. Good for him.

If his intention is to truly let guys who maybe can't hit the broad side of a barn play hunter with his cattle, then he's out to lunch in my books.

Comment

Heard today on the news that people came from all over and bought his cattle from him.

Now that's a marketing scheme!

Comment

Great idea, wish I had thought of it first!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.