• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Barley Growers Association. Book

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Barley Growers Association. Book

Summer is a dandy time to read a book when you’re waiting for the kids to finish their swimming lessons. Or sit in the back porch of your cottage at the lake. Reading. Or stay in the house on a scorching day with a glass of lemonade. And read the Western Barley Growers Association (WBGA) book:

"WESTERN BARLEY'S LEGACY, The History of the Western Barley Growers Association 1977-2022".

“They were a forward thinking, aggressive group of barley growers who made things happen. They were polite and fun, but they were also dead serious about marketing their own barley whilst growing the industry.

For more than four decades the WBGA represented farmers across the prairies, challenging the status quo on marketing, transportation, safety net programs
    and research. They protested injustice and fought for marketing choice. They made a difference, and in doing so, provided a legacy for future
    generations.

Told in their own words, "LEGACY" chronicles the many important endeavours of what the Calgary Herald once described as a "brash, young organization" as they represented farmers, speaking as a single voice and having a say on matters that affected their livelihood. No topic was taboo, no challenge too great for "A bunch of dissatisfied farmers who felt they weren't getting a fair shake from the CWB and the grain companies," according to Lloyd Groeneveld, the WBGA's first elected President.

From early beginnings in a small community hall in Carseland, to the Canadian Prime Minister's office,
    and the negotiating rounds of the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, the members of the WBGA rose to the occasion.

"We wanted to document the history of our association for future generations," said Brian Otto, Past President of the WBGA. "All of the members and directors over the years took a lot of pride in the work they were doing for farmers, so we decided to write a book and tell the story.

"No one expected it would take 35 years to get rid of the Canadian Wheat Board monopoly," said Doug Robertson, WBGA President. "But our determined
    membership never gave up the fight for marketing choice."

The 8½ x11 coffee-table style book is now available in both hard cover and paperback versions and can be purchased online from Amazon (eligible for
    Prime shipping) or ordered directly from most book stores.

<https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1999280555> https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1999280555

Western Barley Growers Association is a strong voice for a vibrant, market
    responsive barley industry in Western Canada.

For further comment, please contact:

Doug Robertson

President - WBGA

403-337-2077

<mailto:dougarob@gmail.com> dougarob@gmail.com ”

Buy the book, folks, and enjoy. It’s very interesting. pars

I posted the info because it’s worth the read. And it makes a good gift. I just barged in and posted. And pleased about it. pars
    Last edited by parsley; Jun 9, 2023, 12:06. Reason: So.

Comment

Originally posted by parsley View Post
      I posted the info because it’s worth the read. And it makes a good gift. I just barged in and posted. And pleased about it. pars
      Thank you parsley very much , more people that completely don’t understand or are willingly ignorant to what really went on absolutely need to read and understand the reality of the whole situation
      Thank you for bringing this up 👍

Comment

No one under 50 seems to know....

Comment

Fahrenheit 451.

Comment

Curious, how so?

Comment

Jailhouse Justice , and The Great Grain Robbery , by Don baron are both excellent reading as well. I recommend them , lots of insight on the grain marketing facade we were all fed for decades in this country.

We need to read our history , not destroy it , or cover it up , in order to see where to go forward , in my opinion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...