• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

canola spraying questions.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canola spraying questions.

Just a few questions about spraying canola. It hasn't been part of a regular rotation on this farm. Things have changed.

1. does a guy have to spray 1.6 litres per acre of liberty ? When it first came out wasn't it 0.8 of a litre?

2. Do you automatically throw in the insecticide for hoppers and beetles?

3. Are you guys adding in a grass spray was well?

4. How many passes of liberty?

This year is a little different , weeds are actively growing. Moisture is OK , still on the dry side.

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Just a few questions about spraying canola. It hasn't been part of a regular rotation on this farm. Things have changed.

1. does a guy have to spray 1.6 litres per acre of liberty ? When it first came out wasn't it 0.8 of a litre?

This year is a little different , weeds are actively growing. Moisture is OK , still on the dry side.

1) 1st pass 1.35l followed by 2nd pass 1.62l or 1 pass total 1.62l depending on weed preasure and flushes.

2) No spray for situational pressures, save your money and health if unwarranted

3) Yes 100% but we have wild oats here. Liberty is poor on grasses.

4) It's a 1 pass or 2 pass system depending on preasure.

Comment

1. Personally I find it works more consistently at 1.6. 1.1 or less is a waste of time and fuel in my opinion.

2. Never use insecticide unless absolutely necessary. Always do it in a separate pass if required.

3. Usually add grass spray in first pass.

4. Depends on the year and the weeds. If wild oats present usually 2 passes of 1.6. Trying some generic Liberty this year, $2 a litre cheaper at present. See how it works.

Comment

Does a guy add in the micro nutrients, boron, G22, Alpine to prevent any flashing?

Comment

1. I dont recall 0.8, standard rate was always⁷ 1.33l, if its hot and sunny the standard rate will work well.
          2. Maybe once in 15 years, on small drought stricken plants. If they aren't stressed beatles can't keep up.
          3. If grass is bad I chuck it in, if hot and sunny and all the grass is smoked in 3 days you probably wasted money.
          4. Depends, most the time you are probably upside down ROI on a second pass, but if you see a sencond flush of something I would.

In the US I think its on the label to chuck in AMS to improve efficacy. Never tried it, if hot and sunny I've never had a problem. If cool temps better off waiting if you can and remember its a contact herbi, you need good coverage. I use a twin number 15 teejet and 50-60 psi. Trying a product called interlock this year with the glufonisate, supposed to reduce evaporation od the fines, reduce drift and improve contact. Girl says it provides great results, will see.
          Last edited by biglentil; Jun 2, 2023, 07:42.

Comment

Does a guy add in the micro nutrients, boron, G22, Alpine to prevent any flashing?
            emerging canola likes boron in the soil so pre planting or at flowering or tissue damage. Phos with fulvic acid is the answer for flash

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
              1. I dont recall 0.8, standard rate was always⁷ 1.33l, if its hot and sunny the standard rate will work well.
              2. Maybe once in 15 years, on small drought stricken plants. If they aren't stressed beatles can't keep up.
              3. If grass is bad I chuck it in, if hot and sunny and all the grass is smoked in 3 days you probably wasted money.
              4. Depends, most the time you are probably upside down ROI on a second pass, but if you see a sencond flush of something I would.

In the US I think its on the label to chuck in AMS to improve efficacy. Never tried it, if hot and sunny I've never had a problem. If cool temps better off waiting if you can and remember its a contact herbi, you need good coverage. I use a twin number 15 teejet and 50-60 psi. Trying a product called interlock this year with the glufonisate, supposed to reduce evaporation od the fines, reduce drift and improve contact. Girl says it provides great results, will see.
              Interlock helps some but not the complete answer. It is a little pricey.

I am going to try valid this year. It is cheaper and you get an antifoamer for the same price.

Comment

Valid works

Comment

Surfact-on also.

Comment

1st pass I usually go with 1.6L of Liberty with Centurian or equivalent.
                    2nd pass 1.35L of Liberty, Centurion if needed
                    We use a minimum of 10 gal/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                      1st pass I usually go with 1.6L of Liberty with Centurian or equivalent.
                      2nd pass 1.35L of Liberty, Centurion if needed
                      We use a minimum of 10 gal/acre.
                      Same here
                      Hot day
                      Has worked well

Comment

We bought a bunch of liberty from Johnsons last January, will let you know in the coming weeks how effective it is. After going to the one pass Liberty system shit show last year we made sure to secure early. If the weather cooperates hope to do all our canola starting Monday.

Comment

We bought a bunch of liberty from Johnsons last January, will let you know in the coming weeks how effective it is. After going to the one pass Liberty system shit show last year we made sure to secure early. If the weather cooperates hope to do all our canola starting Monday.
                          Same here, all RR first shot done , now get one going on liberty and the other can finish wheat this week coming up

Comment

Works exactly the same as the expensive stuff

Comment

When BASF announced that they were increasing the Liberty price by 20% last fall it was a a
                              easy decision to buy generic.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.