• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apocalypse COW???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apocalypse COW???

One of my kids tells me he saw a promo thing on CBC advertising a special called "Apocalypse Cow" to be aired Thursday night on CBC.He says they were showing that same old tired stock footage of the Holsteins staggering around.
    Anybody else hear anything about this?? More timely and in depth "reporting" by the CBC perhaps??

I saw a bit the other night it was to be aired on thursday on the nature of things, and was to be a two part series on BSE. Should be interesting.

Comment

Is David Sazuki still part of 'The Nature of Things'? If so, would be willing to bet that it won't shine favorably on the cattle industry.

Comment

I agree. So many times he seems to come down on the side of the anti-farming types. When I heard on CBC that he was doing a story on BSE, quite frankly it worried me.

Comment

You can bet that it will not reflect well on the industry. Any of his other shows regarding industry have been very one sided and shown his bias.

Comment

Well, here is a foreshadowing of what this program will be about.

Apocalypse Cow producer blames government for BSE crisis: Area farmer's mad cow documentary to be shown on CBC
            November 13, 2004
            Owen Sound Sun Times
            A1 / Front
            Jim Algie
            FEVERSHAM - Ray Burley, producer and director of a two-part film, Apocalypse Cow, to appear Thursday and Nov. 25 on the CBC science series The Nature of Things with David Suzuki, blames inadequate Canadian rendering regulations for the devastation of the past 18 months in Canada's beef markets.
            The story says that federal government inaction allowed the feeding of rendered meal from BSE-contaminated beef to Canadian cattle well after British research established that as the source of a massive mid-1990s epidemic of BSE in the United Kingdom.
            Burley was cited as saying in a recent interview from his farm near Feversham, Ontario, that even after a year and a half of financial chaos for Canadian cattle farmers, rendering regulations still allow the feeding of beef cattle with rendered bone meal from chickens and pigs, a practice he maintains involves potential risks to the reputation and marketing of Canadian meat production, adding, "Basically, the government has done nothing. They've changed nothing. They've adamantly refused to test on any large scale and Canada's rendering policies are virtually unchanged since the 20th of May, 2003," he said.
            The story says that Burley operates a 70-cow beef herd. He has sold his sheep flock and has begun gradually liquidating the cattle.
            The story goes on to say that seven months of research for the film included trips to the beef-producing regions of western Canada and to Japan, where public health officials have adopted far stricter rules than those in North America.
            As well, he tracked down a Cherry Hill, N.J., accountant who has discovered an unusual outbreak of Creutzfeld Jacob Disease among 16 people, all with links to the Garden State Park racetrack.
            His research raises doubts about U.S. claims that its cattle herds remain free of BSE except for animals with connections to Canada.

Comment

Good old Dave! First he'll slam and discredit Canada food safety, and then he'll hammer the USDA with speculation and vague suggestions that their beef is poison! In other words everything in his power to destroy the industry on both sides of the border.
              Gotta love those environmental tree hugger tpes?

Comment

Ahhhh.....David Suzuki.Uh huh.
                I've often wondered,if you put him and Adrienne Clarkson side by side,which one would have the larger ego?? The most facial hair?? The most respect for Svend Robinson?? The frilliest underwear??? The biggest pile of taxpayer dollars stashed away??
                So many mysteries......

Comment

Actually, cowman, if he was only just a tree-hugger, one might look at him in a different light. Given that dollars continue to flow into his foundation, that puts him into a totally different ball park and what he does/does not say is subject to great cynicism. One thing that can be said is he has a great following. I agree with some of his messaging, but certainly don't think that he is the be all and end all.

Comment

I would like to know who at the CBC has a personal agenda to discredit Canadian cattle producers. Have they been infiltrated by PETA, or vegetarians?

Got this off of Ranchers.net I think everyone here should read it. I missed the show, and I'm glad I did. Might have put the blood pressure through the roof.

“Apocalypse Cow”

Hello All You Evil Prion Growers (Alias: Ranchers!);

The above Quote is a “Nature of Things” T.V. program title, a play on words based on the Vietnam movie “Apocalypse Now”. The phrase “claims” to unveil hidden truths, as in the biblical prophesy of the “Book of Revelations” by St. John. Nothing could be further from the truth! It is old – old – old “news”, manipulated and misinterpreted for some clandestine purpose. What is their agenda? Why are they only now, airing this old disproven hypothetical crap, when it has been available for years?

Jan.04, Stanley B. Prusiner to a committee of the U.S. Congress: “CJD is ALWAYS FATAL”

Nov.18, 04, David Suzuki to all of Canada on CBC television: “BSE is ALWAYS FATAL”

WITHOUT IMPLIED FEAR OF BSE “INFECTION” THERE IS NO BSE INDUSTRY!

GET IT?

This two part story is being broadcast across Canada, and recently aired its’ first of two parts, on CBC T.V., Nov.18, 04, the second chapter likely next week, Nov. 25, 04.

Some of you previously alerted us of the upcoming program, and for that we are thankfull. Kathy went to their website prior to the airing of the show and discovered that the abstract highlighting this upcoming program, made an absolute connection to the fact that vCJD IS CAUSED by the consumption of BSE “infected” food products, which of course is absolutely false, as feeding trials have vindicated the safety of “Prion” consumption, and laboratory work has proven the fallacy of “infectivity” (invasion and replication).

THE CHEMISTRY USED IN THE LABORATORY (AND IN EVERY PATENT LISTED ON THESE DISEASES) CORROBORATES AND CONFIRMS, THE GROUND BREAKING AND UNDENIABLE, EPIDEMIOLOGICAL-ENVIRONMENTAL-EVIDENCIARY FOUNDATION, LAID BARE BY MARK PURDEY, WHERE-IN, VIRTUALLY EVERY S.E. HOT SPOT ON EVERY CONTINENT, HAS BEEN CATOLOGUED.

Based on the CBC website abstract of their upcoming program, Kathy wrote a letter (appended to the end of this email), which demanded an explanation of their shoddy detective work and a stop to their program.

No response has yet been received, and the first show has already aired.

We have the program on tape, and it is much worse than could have been expected!

The program spends long periods going into the histories of vCJD victims, how wonderful they were, how loving they were, etc, etc, etc! This is the lowest form of propaganda there is, pulling at the heart strings of unsuspecting people, to promote bogus ideology, rather than appealing to the logic of their brains with the use of scientific argument.

No one, including myself, is attempting to deny that vCJD has been caused by HGH injections and human dura-matter transplantation. The fact avoided by all these promulgators of propaganda, is that science has proven that these materials are free of any infectious organism, leaving only the choice of poisoning via un-protocalled contamination of said in vivo inserted materials.

They state the following falsehoods in their first “program”;

1) BSE is infectious,
                    2) Infectious Prions were found in the meat and bone meal(MBM) fed to ruminants,
                    3) The Prions in the (MBM) caused BSE in the UK,
                    4) The Prion remained infectious due to revised “continuous flow” MBM cooking procedures,
                    5) The U.S. & Canada, knew the Prion remained viable, and continued the processing of MBM in this “unsafe”, revised method,
                    6) All cases of BSE in Canada & the U.S. have been caused by the above “unsafe” MBM processing,
                    7) All cases of vCJD in the world have been caused by the consumption of BSE contaminated meat,
                    8) Canada and the U.S. “knowingly” contaminated poultry and pork, by continuing to feed MBM to them,

THE ABOVE EIGHT POINTS, ARE ALL LIES, AS THEY HAVE ALL BEEN DISPROVEN BY SCIENTIFIC DETERMINATION. NO SCIENTIFIC DATA HAS EVER EXISTED TO SUPPORT ANY ONE OF THE ABOVE STATEMENTS, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL INFECTIOUS MBM HYPOTHESIS, WHICH RELIED SOLELY ON A TENUOUS THEORETICAL CONNECTION TO THE NARROW U.K. SPACIO-TEMPORALITY DATA OF “WHILESMITH ET AL”.

Bloody hell! This is only half of the crap they have, with another “show” on the way!

THESE TWO PROGRAMS WILL DO MORE DAMAGE TO THE NORTH AMERICAN BEEF INDUSTRY THEN ALL THE BOOKS AND PROPAGANDA WE HAVE SEEN OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS!

This is libel, and slander! It must be stopped. We don’t need to prove the science on this issue, they do. We must therefore demand of CBC, Suzuki and Burley, the provision of the scientific evidence (which doesn’t exist), or a retraction. Failure to accomplish this should result in their being named in a libel suit filed under the Criminal Code, followed by a civil suit for damages.

WE MUST ACT NOW!! Please contact your ABP or other cattle industry reps and demand that they also force our industry leaders to act against this offensive libelous attack against our animals, against our reputations, against our futures.

AN INJUNCTION SHOULD BE FILED BY THE CANADIAN CATTLEMANS’ ASSOC. to prevent the next program from airing! This would send a strong message to the media and the world! It would upset the ”BSE-Infectious-Industry”applecart.

Here is how to get a hold of them: commho@cbc.ca; tnot@toronto.cbc.ca; solutions@davidsusuki.org

ALSO CONTACT: Fed and Prov Ag & Health ministers, The CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission), Senators, ABP, CCA, NCBA, R-CALF, WSG, SSG, Breed Associations, Dairy Mkt. Brd. Etc.

Please do what you are able, thanks,

Leslie Czar ph/fax; 403-854-2433

---------------------------------
                    Kathy’s Nov. 18, 04 letter;

Subject: URGENT David Suzuki BSE shows rely on false data from Horne Report

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Nov. 18 and Nov. 25 Nature of Things programs on BSE, Dr. Suzuki relying on False Information in G. Horne Report, UK

After reading this sites information on the up and coming shows on BSE, I am gravely concerned that Dr. Suzuki definitely blames the consumption of BSE diseased meat/ meat products on causing the human vCJD. This statement is not proven, and if libelous against the cattle industry.

I would like very much to converse with Dr. Suzuki, or the producer, Mr. Ray Burley, about why these statements are not conclusively supported by science.

On a more specific note, the reliance of all scientists upon the Gabriel Horne Report of the UK (2001) for accurate and factual data, has lead to this error in opinion on the connection of Organophosphates and Copper Deficiency in relation to BSE.

I will attach a copy of my letter to the Alberta Beef Producers dated Oct. 26, 2004 which was sent to inform them of dramatic errors in relation to dates and matters concerning OP usage and BSE. These are actually lies which the British Government refuses to correct. However, it is very easy to investigate and prove the Horne Report’s data on OPs is false and misleading. Please read the attached letter.

As science has shown that during the course of normal feeding practices, BSE cannot be transmitted to animals from contaminated (BSE or Scrapie) feed, it would be very dangerous and damaging for a program of the “Nature of Things” stature, to go out on this well-occupied limb and make this direct connection to human disease, let alone the transmission to cattle.

There are some references in my letter to the ABP Technical Committee, but these certainly do not show all of the places which information can be accessed to prove foul play by the Horne Report. This singular document has been quoted and referenced by many, many other institutions as gospel – without verification of its work. Harvard and the AB government both used this false information as their sole support for their opinion on the lack of evidence connecting BSE and copper deficiency induced by organophosphates.

I would respectfully ask that you pull this two part story until these lies have been cleared up, and the truth has been exposed to all about this mistaken trust of the Gabriel Horne Report.

There is no need to take my word for the truth, these lies can be confirmed with some investigative work. I am truly disappointed in the work done here by “The Nature of Things” and Dr. Suzuki. Blind faith in analytical reports can no longer be allowed. I hope you will contact me today. I welcome a long or short conversation with Mr. Burley or Dr. Suzuki.

Yours Truly,

Mrs. Kathy Czar, Hanna, AB lkczar@telus.net

Comment

Well I saw the first part of the show, kato, and I definitely agree he was out to slam the beef industry in particular as well as take a shot or two at the whole meat industry. It was a neat package to try to imply if you eat meat you very well may die as a babbling fool!
                      Of course we had the mandatory old holstein doing the funky chicken!
                      Dave is pretty slick. He uses a lot of half truths and deceptions to sell his anti-meat campaign? As well as some of his other environmental messages?
                      But hey it's been a money maker for him right? He's found a niche market for his propanganda and he's pushing all the right buttons? I doubt he ever cares about what happens to all the farmers, lumberjacks, oil roughnecks he puts out of work?

Comment

Kato, I taped part 1 and will tape part 2 as well,when it airs.
                        Truly pathetic "journalism". Suzuki was stating,as fact,all the things that you and I know are merely unproven theories. Can't wait for part 2!!! Maybe he will redeem himself but I won't hold my breath!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.