• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency evaluations…

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask your councilor and provincial authorities these questions.

Why mandatory evacuations are necessary? Tell us what they say?

Are they just making things upon the fly or do they have good reasons?

Comment

I don’t need to ask them, I know what they’ll say.

Do you think mandatory evacuations mean everyone has left these areas? That’s not generally the case. I know of a number of people who stayed to protect their farms as well as their neighbours, despite being in mandatory evacuation zones.

Comment

Fire SE of Coronation last week took out 3600 acres in a handful of hours. Neighbours were evacuating hundreds of head of cattle by riding into the fires path and pushing them out of the way while others arrived with equipment to try and get it under control.

Guess they should have just sat back and watched, or left the county, but this is Alberta and the legacy of our grandparents generation is to help our neighbours.
        Last edited by Blaithin; May 12, 2023, 19:10.

Comment

BTW CC:

Emergency workers die too….

Greater Love does not exist…. Than to give one’s life…. For the neighbors who need help… friend or ….not… these sacrifices given…are the backbone of the our free world . Turning our nation into cowards… is not a civilization worthy of survival. Fear is a horrible disease… that tyranny feeds upon!

Prayers and blessings.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
            Fire SE of Coronation last week took out 3600 acres in a handful of hours. Neighbours were evacuating hundreds of head of cattle by riding into the fires path and pushing them out of the way while others arrived with equipment to try and get it under control.

Guess they should have just sat back and watched, or left the county, but this is Alberta and the legacy of our grandparents generation is to help our neighbours.
            Can you imagine what a pleasure it must be to have Chuck as a neighbor, with this attitude?
            One of the many side benefits of associating with him here, is it sure makes me grateful for the excellent neighbors we do have.

Comment

If someone doesn’t want to put themselves at risk to help, that’s fine by me. I can’t blame them for wanting to avoid danger.

Just don’t try and tell us that nobody should put themselves at risk because they won’t put themselves in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                Just like many of the rural Alberta citizens they represent! Self interest first. Public safety second.

In Saskatchewan public safety takes priority. Its the legacy of our grandparents generation.
                That’s a pretty fin low comment when fires and yards are burning in Alberta , unfukinbelievable actually

Comment

Just like many of the rural Alberta citizens they represent! Self interest first. Public safety second.

In Saskatchewan public safety takes priority. Its the legacy of our grandparents generation.
                  A bit sanctimonious isn’t it?

Comment

Of course residents, landowners, volunteers are working along side fire crews and the military to fight fires. And that's all well and good. I never said they shouldn't work together.

But who really believes that the counties and the province shouldn't declare states of emergency and evacuate residents when the risk to residents is too great?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      That’s a pretty fin low comment when fires and yards are burning in Alberta , unfukinbelievable actually
                      That's what Blaithin said about county councilors and reeves when she said they were more concerned about being sued and that's why they support mandatory evacuations. That everyone puts self interests first.

I thought that was pretty cynical. " Do you feel most people are not predominantly out for themselves/their small inner circle?" was her further question.

Most councilors are putting public safety first. And for most residents that would be their first concern.

Some of councilors live and work in the communities that are being affected so I am not sure why they wouldn't be concerned about public safety first.

And the Emergency act protects councilors and officials from being sued.
                      Last edited by chuckChuck; May 13, 2023, 07:16.

Comment

Of course residents, landowners, volunteers are working along side fire crews and the military to fight fires. And that's all well and good. I never said they shouldn't work together.

But who really believes that the counties and the province shouldn't declare states of emergency and evacuate residents when the risk to residents is too great?
                        Did anybody say States of Emergency shouldn’t be declared?

I thought the debate was whether the government should be able to force everyone to leave or if some can stay of their own volition to try and protect their property despite an evacuation being issued.

Where is your line Chuck because you’re either trying to change your opinion on the fly or you’ve twisted words so much you missed the point.
                        Last edited by Blaithin; May 13, 2023, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                          Did anybody say States of Emergency shouldn’t be declared?
                          Since we are in the process of distributing nicknames, how about we nickname Chuck strawman?

Comment

Safe:
                            Life by design must be dangerous.
                            Species survive by the fatal lessons of others. There is no safe in nature.
                            Overuse of the concept by successive generations will weaken the species.
                            Interesting to think that some are headed down a dead end branch of the evolutionary tree and would take our species with them.

Comment

Hence the Darwin Awards….

When common sense… humble people respecting responsibility and compassion for their neighbours…

Then in the spirit of community and a prosperous civilization we teach our children courage, grace, mercy, and a free and democratic nation.

Helicopters were evacuating residents NW of Edmonton… long before evacuation alerts were issued last Friday.

We are blessed that our community was able to live together through this very trying time… with relatively few problems. Balance and compassion were generally appreciated in difficult circumstances.

Peace, Blessings, and safe seeding! Praying for rain!

Comment

The original debate was about whether counties and the province have the right to mandatory evacuations during fires, floods and other disasters.

Under the Emergency Act they clearly have that authority and even more powers. And as far as I can tell there are only very few people who think they shouldn't have that authority to put public safety first.

And none of that stops citizens and landowners from volunteering to fight fires and work with all the organizations on the ground doing the same as long as authorities including local county firefighters deem it safe to do so.
                                Last edited by chuckChuck; May 14, 2023, 07:37.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...