• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency evaluations…

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Ditto for you Agstar… right back at you…

Your comments are if nothing else…predictable and consistent…

Blessings and Prayers Safe Seeding!
    In the thread about covid restrictions, Chuck told me that we should all follow rules unquestionably. Because only government knows what is best for us.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; May 8, 2023, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      In the thread about covid restrictions, agstar told me that we should all follow rules unquestionably. Because only government knows what is best for us.
      That is your interpretation. Rules should always backed up by solid evidence .

Comment

Blaithin from 1984 to 1988 there were 30+ degree days with a wind for 4 consecutive summers and I don’t recall hundreds of out of control fires from that time period.

Occam’s razor.

Watch for the climate change narrative and bad oil and gas to come in to the picture. Same old playbook. Fear and blame.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Blaithin from 1984 to 1988 there were 30+ degree days with a wind for 4 consecutive summers and I don’t recall hundreds of out of control fires from that time period.

Occam’s razor.

Watch for the climate change narrative and bad oil and gas to come in to the picture. Same old playbook. Fear and blame.
          During summer?

Or during peak fire season?

It regularly gets 30 and windy here in summer. The difference is, in summer forage is typically green and has a moisture content vastly superior to all plant matter currently trying to come out of dormancy.

Are you being purposely obtuse or you really can’t see the difference between 30 degrees at the start of May and 30 degrees in July, and why one of them is considered peak fire season?
          Last edited by Blaithin; May 8, 2023, 16:19.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
            Think you missed the fact the ranchers were maintaining fire breaks and wetting down areas to protect their herds. Leave them alone as that is their property and they can do what they want. You’re wired differently so I don’t think you get the point. When you are in an area where fire risk is a constant threat you are often prepared for the inevitable. It’s not some acreage owner with a garden hose refusing to leave as the fire is consuming their house. You talking out of your hat again.

Who would be making the decision at the critical time when the out of control wild fire is a 1/2 mile to a mile away which ranch, farmyard, acreage, or even a house in a town has an adequate fire proof defense system to ward off an out of control wild fire.

We all know there would be those who would argue they're just as fire proof as the farmer next door who didn't have to evacuate their property because someone at the moment deem them fire proof.

Unless there are pre arranged Provincial Fire Proof Codes for properties. who would know which property could survive an out of control wild fire

Fire ambers with the right conditions can easily travel well over a mile, how do you prepare for that scenario.

I have fought wild fires and have had one fire get away on me. I'll tell you one thing, I never felt so helpless in my life when that fire got away on me, even with fire guards in place.

Just saying!

Oh ya one other thing, a property can be fire proof, but how many are able to be smoke proof. How do you breathe when your property is completely taken over by wild fire smoke?
            Last edited by foragefarmer; May 8, 2023, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
              That is your interpretation. Rules should always backed up by solid evidence .
              I apologize. I see now that it was Chuck who was advocating for following arbitrary government laws regardless of how ineffective or damaging they may be. You came along later in the conversation.
              I stand corrected, I will edit accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                I see Tom has a long list of grievances from Canada is a shit hole club! LOL

So Tom you would rather let individuals with little training, experience, equipment and knowledge of the current risks of the fires fight it on their own?

How do you know that each and everyone of them is capable and not putting themselves and their families at risk?

How would have that worked in 2016 with Ft Mac Tom?

When you stay in potential disaster zone after being told to leave you not only put yourself at risk, you put emergency workers at risk when they have to come rescue you and your family, because you made the wrong decision.
                I'm breaking in briefly then out.
                Chuck does not know his arse from a hole in the ground. Nothing but a shtstain.
                I'm not from Ft Mac but know people who are. There were oldtimers who stayed behind after evac to build berms and guards with their own equipment. At their OWN risk. Did not ask for help, and knew a heck of a lot more about what they were doing than some college boy. Yes they could have been killed. It's possible they potentially risked EMS.
                What I have been told is that they saved property. Their own way. In the spirit that built the place. And that looters were caught but strangely enough, the police were never called......
                We need a little more Yellowstone and a lot less BtchHills 90210. Get your liability waiver signed, pull up your skirt and f off. Now I'll do the same.
                Last edited by blackpowder; May 8, 2023, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                  During summer?

Or during peak fire season?

It regularly gets 30 and windy here in summer. The difference is, in summer forage is typically green and has a moisture content vastly superior to all plant matter currently trying to come out of dormancy.

Are you being purposely obtuse or you really can’t see the difference between 30 degrees at the start of May and 30 degrees in July, and why one of them is considered peak fire season?
                  Guess you werent around in the mid 80s then. In 1988 we transitioned out of winter to 30 degree days in May with nothing growing. By June July is was 35 and the little crop we had was baled up a month earlier.

Are you arguing that this is climate change gods going after Alberta. 100 fires in Alberta, barely any in Sask and BC.

The arson reports, arrests, looting, suspicious activity etc says something else is going on. Along with the left trying to make it political against Smith. Just look at the nasty posts on twitter she is getting now. I will never believe this is all natural.

Smith will probably lose the election now. Hell I would have phoned Montana for help before I phoned Trudeau.
                  Last edited by jazz; May 8, 2023, 20:47.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Guess you werent around in the mid 80s then. In 1988 we transitioned out of winter to 30 degree days in May with nothing growing. By June July is was 35 and the little crop we had was baled up a month earlier.

Are you arguing that this is climate change gods going after Alberta. 1000 fires in Alberta, barely any in Sask and BC.

The arson reports, arrests, looting, suspicious activity etc says something else is going on. Along with the left trying to make it political against Smith. Just look at the nasty posts on twitter she is getting now. I will never believe this is all natural.
                    I’ve said nothing about climate change.

I said it’s not a conspiracy set for election purposes, just a natural occurrence.

You want to think wildfires are unnatural go right ahead. You want to base it on the fact that you can’t recall out of control fires nearly 40 years ago, so be it. That’s sure credible evidence.

I believe they have a word for that actually. Anecdotal. Not considered the most reliable source of comparison.
                    Last edited by Blaithin; May 8, 2023, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      I'm breaking in briefly then out.
                      Chuck does not know his arse from a hole in the ground. Nothing but a shtstain.
                      I'm not from Ft Mac but know people who are. There were oldtimers who stayed behind after evac to build berms and guards with their own equipment. At their OWN risk. Did not ask for help, and knew a heck of a lot more about what they were doing than some college boy. Yes they could have been killed. It's possible they potentially risked EMS.
                      What I have been told is that they saved property. Their own way. In the spirit that built the place. And that looters were caught but strangely enough, the police were never called......
                      We need a little more Yellowstone and a lot less BtchHills 90210. Get your liability waiver signed, pull up your skirt and f off. Now I'll do the same.
                      Missed ya !

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                        Who would be making the decision at the critical time when the out of control wild fire is a 1/2 mile to a mile away which ranch, farmyard, acreage, or even a house in a town has an adequate fire proof defense system to ward off an out of control wild fire.

We all know there would be those who would argue they're just as fire proof as the farmer next door who didn't have to evacuate their property because someone at the moment deem them fire proof.

Unless there are pre arranged Provincial Fire Proof Codes for properties. who would know which property could survive an out of control wild fire

Fire ambers with the right conditions can easily travel well over a mile, how do you prepare for that scenario.

I have fought wild fires and have had one fire get away on me. I'll tell you one thing, I never felt so helpless in my life when that fire got away on me, even with fire guards in place.

Just saying!

Oh ya one other thing, a property can be fire proof, but how many are able to be smoke proof. How do you breathe when your property is completely taken over by wild fire smoke?
                        It is a helpless feeling when the embers blow overtop of you and all you did was in vain or the wind changes direction and burns back over what you thought you saved. The fort Mac fire was proof of incompetent government not heeding warnings from locals who advocated to knock down bush to stop the encroaching fire from crowning. Something like 1000 cats in the vicinity which were offered by companies only to be refused by forestry. Other day there was a wildfire moving on a farm and a guy I know was driving by hauling a 6. He walked it off and bermed a fire break which saved the farm. It’s a tough call to make when you have to abandon your farm but if the jack boots go commando on you it is no better than the keystone cops knocking in doors at High River and taking peoples guns during the flood. It’s a perception thing the RCMP keeps on stuffing up. No one trusts them or the Feds.

Comment

The anti government bullshit on this site just keeps growing higher and higher.

The counties, local government, have boots on the ground and a strong connection to the local communities. They work hand in hand with provincial governments during an emergency.

In many cases landowners can help fight fires and protect their own property. In other cases they need to evacuate.

Does the local guy fighting a fire have the overview, coordination and communication resources of the counties, province and emergency organizations? Not likely. Can they call in the heavy equipment and water bombers on short notice? Nope. When resources are limited who and what gets priority attention?

Its like going into battle without a plan or any coordination. Everybody just does their own thing. Do you really think that is best way to fight an out of control fire?

The anti government types will often criticize every decision they disagree with, but as soon as there is a disaster aid program, they will still line up for a handout from the government.

Comment

The counties, local government, have boots on the ground and a strong connection to the local communities. They work hand in hand with provincial governments during an emergency.

In many cases landowners can help fight fires and protect their own property. In other cases they need to evacuate.

Does the local guy fighting a fire have the overview, coordination and communication resources of the counties, province and emergency organizations? Not likely. Can they call in the heavy equipment and water bombers on short notice? Nope. When resources are limited who and what gets priority attention?

Its like going into battle without a plan or any coordination. Everybody just does their own thing. Do you really think that is best way to fight an out of control fire?

The anti government types will often criticize every decision they disagree with, but as soon as there is a disaster aid program, they will still line up for a handout from the government.
                            Yes of course, the government always knows what is best for the uninformed peasants.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                              Magical?

Did you miss the week of near 30 degree heat and 50km winds from the SE? Or is that average and happens every other year on the 3rd of May?

Was almost 7 years to the day since Ft Mac. Maybe that was antifa too since fires don’t actually happen during fire season unless there’s a political motive behind them.
                              Wasn’t the Fort Mcmurray fire also because of a controlled burn?

Comment

Agriville often nothing more than a tiresome shouting match. Many here are firmly entrenched in the extreme, including yourself.
                                I agree with your questions here.
                                I suppose the difference between foolhardy and brave is outcome.
                                Last edited by blackpowder; May 9, 2023, 07:55.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.