• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grow More Get Less

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow More Get Less

Prairie farmers to plant record wheat acres. Is that a pleasant headline?

When in doubt, grow wheat?

Comment

And markets drop, go figure.

Comment

Easiest crop to grow, lowish inputs.

Guys in marginal areas got away with canola for quite a number of yrs when fertilizer was low. That math has changed in the last 2 yrs.

Other guys growing pulses in areas they shouldnt be are rethinking that after last yr as well and cant put any more canola in. Lentil disease and pest profile was awful around here. 30c a lb for a 20 bu crop isnt enough premium for working on the ground.

Thats probably where the acres are coming from. What else are they supposed to seed.

Russia is going to scuttle the grain deal. I would say planting wheat might be a good option.
        Last edited by jazz; Apr 26, 2023, 19:02.

Comment

Took the quad for a spin tonight after RM plowed open a road west of me couldn't see over the snow bank so don't know if neighbor is seeding wheat today. Least the frogs are singing in the slew tonight and blackbirds in the trees. 10th of may if things go good from what i see.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
            Took the quad for a spin tonight after RM plowed open a road west of me couldn't see over the snow bank so don't know if neighbor is seeding wheat today. Least the frogs are singing in the slew tonight and blackbirds in the trees. 10th of may if things go good from what i see.
            Just toured my fields in 2wd, bone dry

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
              Same here , we’re in deep shit here in the swamp if’n it don’t rain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                No frogs here , first robin today

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  No frogs here , first robin today
                  Robins here for 2 weeks.

Comment

This survey was done 4 months ago. Why anyone participates is beyond me. They asked 9500 farmers.

4 months ago were a lot different than today!!

New crop wheat under $10 … ya I’m growing the whole farm and have rented 90 quarters and it’s going to wheat.

Cucumbers and turnips are my rotation this yr.

Comment

Finished the taxes last night. Fair to say all the extra margin bump this business got in the last 2 yrs has all faded away. Back to same margins we had pre-2021.

Anyone with an aggressive expansion under their belt in that time, might be thinking twice today.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                        Pretty well the same in my area , there is moisture in the dirt , but wind every day! I should be used to it by now!

Comment

Anyone seeding yet in your area Galaxy ?

looks like next week start up for a few around here

Comment

Some of the bigger guys are rolling over here, I'm hoping to go today or tomorrow, then brand calves on the weekend , then focus on seeding.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	774986

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...