• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed wheat or peas first in cold soils

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed wheat or peas first in cold soils

Hilly land here with variable moisture and cold. Moisture on hills good for top 6” then dust, north facing hills were damper and have frost at 6” mark.

Forecast shows highs of 15C and lows 1C this week here in Alberta.

When I start later this week, would wheat or peas be better on those spots with some frost? From previous experience barley is a disaster.

Been reading a little lately about early seeding of spring wheat in cold soils and it looked positive.

Neighbor put in durum wheat in cold soils a few yrs ago, did fairly well.

But the guys who seeded 2 weeks later caught up to the early stuff anyway. I dont think you do yourself any favors fighting with cold soil in any crop. Personally I would be inclined to wait another week.

Comment

Peas first is usually best… seed protection is important for early seeding…

Nice to get peas off early… and bloom in early summer… often better yield.

Old saying went… with cereals, if seeded by May 15… most years May1-15 seeding maturity is all very close to being the same maturity time.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
        Peas first is usually best… seed protection is important for early seeding…

Nice to get peas off early… and bloom in early summer… often better yield.

Old saying went… with cereals, if seeded by May 15… most years May1-15 seeding maturity is all very close to being the same maturity time.

Cheers
        Tom have you actually had any trials to prove that seed treatment on peas actually does any thing? I have done a few trials here years ago, and looked at lots of pea trial results online and have yet to find any that provide a positive economic benefit.

Now my own trials were 10 years ago and there are different seed treatments out now. I think they found that a LOT of seed treatments hurt the innoculant. What product works on peas consistently? My pea seed is zero on fungal screens and 96 germ 95 vigor, 4 abnormal.

Always have seeded peas first, but lately been thinking that wheat actually does better in cold soil and is much cheaper for seed treatment than peas.

Comment

We treat ours every year and use a dry granule Agtiv metered in the saddle tank. Doesn’t both the innoculant at all

Comment

We used to seed peas early but found they can struggle to get out of the ground and that leads to many other issues like seed rot . Also , in this area , seeding peas early means herbicide application is sometimes this first week of June . We still risk very cool nights and light frosts that cause havoc on peas . Forecasts change so much it’s nearly impossible to spray at right timing and have overnight temps stay above 5c . Forecast may seem good but out of nowhere comes a lite frost even when not forecasted .
            May not be an issue elsewhere, but here it is 8/10 years .

Last year was a good example, frost on June first and cool nights off and on till June 10th . Peas get out of stage ,5/6 node very quick . Nothing worse than flashing a pea crop and having it sit for 10 days . That leads to other issues like root rot while the plants struggle

Comment

Last year , pea’s struggled all year after that

Comment

Last 2 years here

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...