• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistically … when does the gun go off?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realistically … when does the gun go off?

This last spring/winter storm will have implications on starting when I had planned. We had one a wk ago, not as big but big enough. This one put a lot of snow in the fields.

Moisture is moisture might go a long ways in July.
    Some think the earliest start is May 6 to May 15.
    If we go by the 8th I will be happy. Ground will be cold again. I wanted to go May 1.

Anyone changing any seeding plans as of yet, or considering it?

Would be concerned if I was a mega farmer, a May 10th start could be detrimental.

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
    Would be concerned if I was a mega farmer, a May 10th start could be detrimental.
    May 10th would be a dream but she is looking like May 20th around here. I mean you can get gungho all you want, the fields are muck, have snowbanks and the frost isnt out of the ground here.

It was -12 here on friday night.

Last yr we started on May 21st and finished June 8. Seed until deadline and cross fingers.

Comment

As of now, probably 6-8th , but never got the snow storm.
      A lot depends on the next 10 days. Some in this area will start sooner depending on land type.
      A rain next week would be welcome in this area

Comment

Late seeders had better crops than the early seeders last year here

Comment

Best Eston lentils we ever grew were seeded June 18.

Comment

It's not may yet no worries at all.

Comment

But would be nice to work on drill soon on dry ground!

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                Late seeders had better crops than the early seeders last year here
                Before the days of Mega farms, fertilizer, Zero till and sprayers one of the best farmers with good yields and cleanest crops in the area used to say " You shouldn't seed before the 24th of May! But you should seed it all on the 24th" When everyone else started seeding he would head north fishing for a week. LOL

Comment

When the Hutts aren’t going it’s just not ready.

Comment

Tell you next fall when the best time to seed this year is.Mother nature usually decides that.Timing of rain frost grasshoppers heat harvest weather and the list goes on.

Comment

Probably start on Friday. Always nice to get some acres seeded in April.

Comment

There will be changes here ,more barley maybe oats and flax. We are 3 weeks from start , fields still have lots of snow. Yards and roads are a mess. Looks like another week of winter yet

Comment

Winter annuals starting to green up. Clover is coming good. Can drive anywhere in the fields. Brand and vaccinate 90% this weekend and start harrowing following week. May 10 start seeding like most years.

Comment

Still snow in our fields and more on the fence lines, hoping for a May 12th start but that might be optimistic at this point given our 7 day forecast.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	BCF9A6B6-0A00-49F5-A4BF-60C9A7EC91F5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	774957

Comment

Warm up coming , in typical Enviromental Canada forecast ….

After 14c and snow on Thursday ? 😂

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...