• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    "However, to use this a talking point to trash the industry just like saying messy cattle operations dumping their shit in the river shows the abject contempt and ignorance for the industry at large and the benefits it has brought."

I have witnessed the problems of both industries first hand and you can't deny they don't exist.

The oil industry has come a long way and so has the cattle industry. But there is more to do especially for some operators.

The cattle industry and the oil industry have both wanted less regulation and as result we still have cattle watering themselves in creeks, rivers and dugouts even though the best management practice is to provide them with a clean source of water so that their shit doesn't contaminate the water supply.
    Quite the expert you are ! Strange as I don’t see many wellheads around you , actually none ?

Comment

I pay taxes in three different RMs and I have noticed locally that RMs with oil and gas revenue are doing quite well. With that said, taxes to land owners have been increasing at much slower pace.I do believe improvements had to take place environmental wise which are happening. Glenn you might want to check what your RM collects in oil revenue since SAG -D plants have been put in place.

Comment

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post
        I pay taxes in three different RMs and I have noticed locally that RMs with oil and gas revenue are doing quite well. With that said, taxes to land owners have been increasing at much slower pace.I do believe improvements had to take place environmental wise which are happening. Glenn you might want to check what your RM collects in oil revenue since SAG -D plants have been put in place.
        In my home county, industry pays 93% of the property taxes, that's almost entirely oil and gas facilities.
        I forget the exact number, but farmland is only one or two percent. It would be an unthinkable shock to the system if that goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Quite the expert you are ! Strange as I don’t see many wellheads around you , actually none ?
          How did you possibly miss all of the wellheads at Chuck's, they are right beside the solar panels which no one has ever seen, of course.
          And I assume in the same place as all of the deceased oil and gas workers he claims have died on his property. You could also just follow the leaking H2S, he claims to have a big problem with that as well. Seems like a believable story.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 17, 2023, 18:13.

Comment

Ultimately what it comes down to with Chuck and other oilfield haters I know of who mysteriously all support the same political party is that they do not like oil activity and will object to it at all costs to the point of making fools of themselves like JW’s and suicide bombers. There is no reasoning with them even if you agree with some of what they say because you know deep down they want it all gone. Thankfully the real nuts are dying out like the old commies at red square in Battleford. They are selfish old bastards who’d rather everyone suffer for whatever they think the world should be.

Comment

Interesting Standards the EPA just published in the US… for 2035…. To meet them 50% of all new cars and light duty vehicles will be required to be full electric propulsion…

The EPA does not include the carbon footprint of manufacturing the electric vehicles… or electrical generation…

Politically motivated pollution decarbonization environmental laws … are not science based. Obviously Trudeau Liberals/NDP will cheer and praise the Biden suicidal transportation ideals… Most of our Canadian climate is not EV practical… for the vast majority of our transportation needs for our land base.

Just like Covid Vax… comes the Carbon tax … we in the west are expected to freeze in the cold…

Blessings and Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                In my home county, industry pays 93% of the property taxes, that's almost entirely oil and gas facilities.
                I forget the exact number, but farmland is only one or two percent. It would be an unthinkable shock to the system if that goes away.
                Chuck , show the numbers in the RM or Meota
                You know everything about everything apparently

Comment

My RM has near zero oil / gas , it’s right next door but what carries our RM is being close to town and the Ag structure in place , carried by farmer money anyway

Comment

Rule of thumb seems to be multiplied the lease revenue by either 3 or 5 years and add that to the purchase price.
                    I have one quarter, that the lease revenue would cover the entire purchase price spread over the span of a typical 25-year mortgage. And that is assuming that the lease payments never go up with inflation, which may obviously do. Although perhaps not at the same rate as land is appreciating.
                    When deliberating land purchases, I always include any lease revenue in my calculations.
                    Of course, I have never had to deal with a company that wasn't paying.
                    I have asked various Realtors if the non-payment issue has changed the math on purchase price, and they assure me it has not.

Comment

Chuck you have educated us on on all the down sides of the oil industry , you are on top of things when it comes to research , could you please go to your RM and find out how much revenue comes from the four SAG-D plants.

Comment

How come the free marketers support government regulation and intervention to take away landowners rights to deal with oil companies who want access to their land?

Comment

Australian relative asked me about moving to Canada to set up an engineering consulting business. His banker advised him against it because sentiment in world business says, “Canada is where projects go to die”. Two of his engineer clients came to Canada and tried in Eastern Canada and said, “ Nothing going on there”. One moved to London, England, the other to Dubai. The future is gloomy here and the world is looking elsewhere for opportunity. That’s the reality as we watch the “ woke joke” run the country into the ground with its craziness.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                            How come the free marketers support government regulation and intervention to take away landowners rights to deal with oil companies who want access to their land?
                            Now you’re worried about property rights and personal freedom. Geeze that is an about face for an old CWB bully. You are being or just plain are disingenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                              I don’t deny they exist. I just told you of problems I see so you’re preaching to the choir and any of us with wells know about it. Don’t worry we’ve dealt with our share of slick land men and had our battles too. Pipeline right of ways they don’t pay enough for the future pain in the ass. There is always room for improvement. Kinda like getting rid of the CWB has done wonders but we could do with a farmers advocate with teeth and mandated sales reports. There’s always room to do better.
                              Interesting. Would you consider cc. to be a slick farmer. I can't seem to distinguish the difference between him and an equivalent land man.

The first one of the slick we dealt with became what we would call a future friend. Still visit with him, at his city business, to catch up on the industry.

First meeting with him, he informed us that he was there working on behalf of the oil company interests, not ours. That was a bad start introduction, as most of us realize that a land person has a dual role to work for the land owner as well, even though you are not paying him.

Getting back to how we then dealt with him after hearing him out on what his bosses wanted from us. We listed our concerns with the proposal, and ended with, "we will sign whatever document your bosses have right now, but let us assure you that you and your business will never be back to deal with us again".

There was a light bulb moment from him. "Give me 15 minutes to revisit the drill location". Back he comes 15 minutes later with, "I see what you are talking about. I'll made your changes". Thirty deals later, it took no more than a few minutes to hash out what was needed , and we would spend the remaining time on things that matter.

It's all about reaching ground rule standards from square one, and not changing them frequently. cc., as a land man, would not last.

WiltonRanch, since you brought this up, how did you handle "slick"?

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                                Interesting. Would you consider cc. to be a slick farmer. I can't seem to distinguish the difference between him and an equivalent land man.

The first one of the slick we dealt with became what we would call a future friend. Still visit with him, at his city business, to catch up on the industry.

First meeting with him, he informed us that he was there working on behalf of the oil company interests, not ours. That was a bad start introduction, as most of us realize that a land person has a dual role to work for the land owner as well, even though you are not paying him.

Getting back to how we then dealt with him after hearing him out on what his bosses wanted from us. We listed our concerns with the proposal, and ended with, "we will sign whatever document your bosses have right now, but let us assure you that you and your business will never be back to deal with us again".

There was a light bulb moment from him. "Give me 15 minutes to revisit the drill location". Back he comes 15 minutes later with, "I see what you are talking about. I'll made your changes". Thirty deals later, it took no more than a few minutes to hash out what was needed , and we would spend the remaining time on things that matter.

It's all about reaching ground rule standards from square one, and not changing them frequently. cc., as a land man, would not last.

WiltonRanch, since you brought this up, how did you handle "slick"?
                                So pretty much exactly the same scenario as you laid out here. Oil company would run a lease road wherever they damn well pleased in our hills if it was the cheapest. Father hated seeing roads winding all over cutting up quarters. Keep roads on the square and things stay square. Neighbours in the hills would let them run roads wherever and it rendered those fields pasture. Anyway, one particular land man wanted to snake a road around while the road allowance was adjacent. We stuck to our guns and it worked out. Same particular land man we got into it over another particular manner and after that we requested a different person to see us. The relationship was a lot better with that person and succeeding others because they knew what our expectations were and were willing to make things work. The other person had a company man mindset which didn’t work dealing with landowners. The other thing is farmers talk with one another as do oil guys talk with one another about landowners. Word gets around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.