• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

elect the trespassers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elect the trespassers

Trespassers will be elected

For some strange reason, humans will go to almost any length to get something for nothing. It's ignoble and often ridiculous. Yet it seems to have become the Canadian Way.

Give me something for nothing--the demand of every panhandler and politician.

For several decades now, this has been the main theme of federal-provincial politics, and it's getting worse.

In September Ottawa wanted to set the terms to "save medicare" without paying much of the cost, and the provinces, like teenagers, wanted Ottawa's money without any of Ottawa's rules.

Last month it was National Equalization. Canada's seven "want-more" provinces wanted more money for social services without doing anything to earn it.

Last week it was National Babysitting--or if you prefer, "child care."

On Tuesday, the ten provincial ministers responsible for babysitting were in parley with the new federal babysitting minister, old-time hockey star Ken Dryden.

As ever, there were two items on the provincial agenda. Item one, complain about federal jurisdictional encroachment. Item two, sit up and beg for federal dollars.

This revolting routine is so old it's almost not news any more.

Although child care is entirely a provincial responsibility under the Constitution, the Martin government has committed $1 billion a year to it, and the various provincial ministers have all been furiously poking their calculators to figure out how much they'll get for free.

Next year Alberta is hoping for $100 million, B.C. for $137 million, Manitoba $37 million, and Saskatchewan $30 million.

Like kids with a Sears catalogue three weeks before Christmas, the whole daycare discussion was about entitlements, not responsibility.

I'll bet that not one politician in that room asked the obvious question, "Whose responsibility is it to raise children?"

Obviously, the responsibility belongs neither to Ottawa nor to provinces but to parents. And "responsibility" includes paying the bills.

But no politician wins elections by promising to respect people's responsibilities. They never say, "Look, life's rough sometimes, but your kids are your problem, not the government's."

Elections are won by offering people "help" whether they need it or not. That's supposed to show how much you care about them. The fact that it weakens the family, the economy and the government is beside the point.

When my kids were preschoolers and my wife was still working, like most other parents we settled them with a friend for $20 a day in cash. She needed the money to stay home with her own kids.

We had tried the big licensed professional daycares, but it felt a bit too much like leaving them in a zoo, not a home, and they hated it.

Of course, Ottawa prefers to develop the zoo model, because it generates tax-paying union jobs, university courses, and government-funded social advocacy groups to identify problems in need of government solutions.

It's of no help to politicians if people look after their own families and communities. It leaves the government no role.

That's why provincial jurisdictional objections to Ottawa demanding "accountability" and "national standards" in exchange for federal cash sound so phony. They ARE phony. Neither level of government has any valid business funding daycare. They're both trespassing, and they know it.

And like burglars who bump into each other in the same house at night, they decide to be sensible and split the loot.

- Link Byfield

Link Byfield quite often shows some amazing insights and I believe he is right about this one.
    I particularily like his statement "Look life can be rough sometimes. Your children are your responsibility, not the governments". This could be extended to a whole bunch of things? Substitue the words health, education, pensions, for children! And yes, even cattle and grain!
    So you come up with this statement" Life can be rough at times. Your cattle/grain/health/education/pension are your responsibility, not the governments!"
    And I truly believe if the various governments would get out of our lives we would be a lot better off?
    In my view the government has stepped way over the line in regards to a lot of things? Their mandate should be to promote trade and commerce and protect the laws of the land and that is about it?

Comment

As in, those who trespass against us? Doesn't Links' monologue kind of slide over the problem that there are some people who don't, can't, and won't look after their kids. If we were all up to the task on simply hearing Mr. Byfield admonish us we certainly wouldn't need government help.

The thing is that there is a significant population that recognizes the problem doesn't go away that easily. There are people who don't because they don't know how to deal with kids. There are people who have to work long hours to put a roof over their heads and food in their kids mouths, and I'll bet Link would turn purple just thinking about them staying home on EI or welfare so they could take care of the kids.

The problem needs more than a simplistic TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN KIDS!!
      When for whatever reason kids aren't supervised, educated, fed well, etc. during those hours when parents aren't able to, there are expenses that society has to cover as well.

Many think that the loss and expense of latchkey kids as they get older is more than daycare costs.

Comment

In a perfect world there would be no need for a Ministry of Childrens Services, but Lord knows we do not live in a perfect world and society does have some responibility to those who are less fortunate, and particularly to children that cannot control their circumstances.
        I do think that governments have a responsibility but that must also include ensuring that those who should be responsible for providing for their children are not allowed to abdicate that responsiblity.

Comment

Well I don't know about all that. Seems there was no childcare schemes around when my kids were growing up and somehow we muddled through? The really scary part of this "childcare scheme" is it has all the markings of another government blackhole, like education and healthcare?
          Where does all this end? I believe all the various government taxes come into that 60% or more range of everything produced in this country? How much will be enough? 70%? 80%?
          Is it any wonder we have a hard time competing with other countries? We are spending a fortune on social programs and a huge growing beuracracy that in fact doesn't produce one iota of real wealth. We need to put the burden of responsibility back to the people. Our governments need to be doing more to encourage wealth creation than trying to get everyone on the government tit!

Comment

Parents have to work long hours...why? To pay taxes first ...then take care of the kids. What comes first the chicken or the egg??
            Why has the government not done what has been the case in the U.S., make interest on your home tax deductable. This would take a world of pressure of family's.
            Oh but I forget...that is just to logical and would not perpetuate the power of the state.

Comment

folks, all kids in this Province don't necessarily come from homes where there are two parents working to provide a decent standard of living. They sometimes come from homes where substance abuse and physical abuse are a normal way of life. If there is no agency to help these kids, they will never have the desire or opportunity to become part of the main stream of life, and will end up costing the taxpayers a lot more.
              cowman, when you raised your family maybe there weren't as many social pressures on kids as there is today. I know that when I raised my sons, crystal meth had never been heard of, and the worst thing they could do was sneak the odd beer before they were old enough. Times have changed and families aren't what they used to be. For some kids, that means that they really don't have one single adult they can look up to.

Comment

I agree emerald that there should be agencies to help people. I just do not believe we need to look to government, that has been the CAUSE, to provide the CURES. It was not parents that lowered the legal drinking age 40 years ago, it was government that we lost control of.

Private agencies that are driven by people with vision and big hearts are out there and we need to support them at every opportunity.

Comment

those private agencies are few and far between in many areas of rural Alberta. In our area the closest womens shelter is an hour and a half away, which is quite a distance for anyone who has to take her kids and leave in the middle of the night on foot !!!!
                  I agree that it would be best of government didn't have to become involved in social issues, but unfortunately it is the best solution we have at this point in time.

Comment

Cowman you mention taxes make it hard to compete in other countries but I would sugest wages and lack of production and safety regs gone overboard have much larger impact .
                    Take farm help in brazil they pay 30$ a mo and they move right out in to the back country with the cows here you would have to have a foreman a consultant a enginer a minimum of 3 people on site and on shift at all times some one to wipe thier bottoms and blow thier noses , but mabey you are right it is just taxes after all.

One other point you say you raised your kids without gov help but mabey you sat on a little better land we dont all have that quality of land so some of us have to do more with less.

Comment

Emerald: I will admit the times were different and I'm probably really out of touch with how it is today. I really don't have a solution.
                      Horse: It might have been better land but at the time I never owned it! I had to get out and hustle to make a buck! I worked in the oil patch, I worked in a packing house, I bought and sold cattle! I probably only farmed full time for about 7 years after the old man died! Maybe I was a dumbie or something but I just liked having money too much to stay down on the farm for very long! Well that, and the fact I'm not really suited to working alone very much! I'm a "people person"!

Comment

cowman, many like you have worked off the farm to get a good grub stake so they can farm. In the early years I guess they worked in sawmills and lumber camps, and then the oilpatch which has provided thousands of jobs for rural and urban folks alike. I too am out of touch with the business of raising kids today. My kids will tell you that I was mean and nasty because they were expected to do 'chores' both when we lived in town, and then on the farm. Cleaning the barns built character I always tell them....although they seem to argue that point with some enthusiasm !!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...