• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture rent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture rent

What's the going rates for pasture rents these days?. Since we got out of cattle we have rented out our pasture lands, we provide bundles of posts as requested for fence repair but do no fixing ourselves. I know the fence upkeep has value, but what's others paying for something like this? We haven't raised renting in a long long time and want to be reasonable.

What is far more important is to get the right tenant that knows when to stop having their animals graze it. Do you have one of them? I find that factor can go a long way to accepting a steady, marginal income off marginal, one use land.

Otherwise, it can feed nature's herd.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
      What is far more important is to get the right tenant that knows when to stop having their animals graze it. Do you have one of them? I find that factor can go a long way to accepting a steady, marginal income off marginal, one use land.

Otherwise, it can feed nature's herd.
      Yes been that way for the 20 years and I can work up most of it and grow an "0k" crop if its managed right.
      I am looking for what others are paying. Got 2 other cow herds right beside the land too.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
        Yes been that way for the 20 years and I can work up most of it and grow an "0k" crop if its managed right.
        I am looking for what others are paying. Got 2 other cow herds right beside the land too.
        I believe you have the right answer, as it is not one use land that you have. Even though mine is equivalent topsoil, heavy clay like the level(ish) cultivatable land on the flat, the slopes are beyond steep. Ergo, animal use.

So, would you be happy with oil field rental formula increases over a three year term. They amount to 16.6%.
        I guess I would never know what is tolerable, if I never asked the people that love their livestock that chew on my property. People do come and go even at $25/acre.

Comment

One point of view.
          If you can make a $100 / acre profit from a crop (after all expenses, including opportunity costs). That is what I would expect as rent. If the land is not suited to a crop, then a benchmark of Animal Units per acre would be developed (based on local values and knowledge of the land / history).
          Maintenance of the fence is to the benefit of the renter. You don't need a fence to produce a crop. All maintenance costs for the fence would be paid by the renter.
          There are a lot of details required for use and care of the land, those should be included in the lease contract. That would be a business focused decision.

Comment

TYPICAL FARMER NON ANSWER dont want anyone knowing their business, as if that matters .I charge 1$/day 1 cow calf ,should be more but it has been a tough go the last few yr ,this yr is a lot different in prices for calves ,I am figuring on off loading the fencing to the renter this yr. I keep the numbers down so there is good grass ,and he makes most of my hay on a share basis then buys my share.
            Cost of keeping dughouts cleaned is getting expensive so may have to work out a deal on that unless he wants to put in a solar watering system.
            I rotate the cows on pasture but thats because I like to go quading in the evening and when they are in the right place I just have to open a gate into next pasture.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.