• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scic 2023

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scic 2023

Just received my insurance premiums for the 2023 cropping year with the new " individual premium". It has sure made a difference for my main crops.
    70% wht 2022 $9.63 premium/ac
    70% wht 2023 $4.63 premium/ac (with $60/ac more coverage over 2022)

80% cnl 2022 $24.10 premium/ac
    80% cnl 2023 $11.94 premium/ac (with $75/ac more coverage over 2022)

However, any crops that I've had troubles with (barley, peas, ip cnl), makes it pretty easy to not want to grow them again. I foresee tighter rotations coming in the future.
    70% field peas 2022 $15.20 premium/ac
    70% field peas 2023 $20.77 premium/ac ($30/ac more coverage)

Does anyone know how individual yield is calculated BTW.. some crops seem awfully low. Thanks.

Looks like we all get way different numbers.
    Our 80% canola is 18.77 per acre premium.
    Our 80% bly is 13.66 per acre.

Comment

Looks like a much better plan. Should have been implemented years ago. The good farmers have been subsidizing the shitty farmers.

Comment

What bu/ac does your $/ac of canola cover? And what is gross $/ac? Easier to compare apples to apples vs apples to cucumbers

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
          Looks like a much better plan. Should have been implemented years ago. The good farmers have been subsidizing the shitty farmers.
          Or farmers with rain have been subsiding those shitty farmers with no rain

Comment

What I meant was the farmers who put very little Fert down, don’t treat seed , spray for midge or decease, etc.I do know Scic has these habitual claimers on file but if they press the issue the farmer will appeal there claim denial and the appeal board almost always sides with the farmer. We have a couple in our area and in reality these guys prob are not farming for the long term.

Comment

They have software to take claim history and turn into risk of them paying you.

Crop Averaging is lower risk for them... with coverage top up somehow calculated..

Insurance always costs more to those who unfortunately NEED it.

Humboldt office lady says farmers are LIVID and upset...her interactions indicate.
              Last edited by fjlip; Mar 7, 2023, 13:16.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
                What I meant was the farmers who put very little Fert down, don’t treat seed , spray for midge or decease, etc.I do know Scic has these habitual claimers on file but if they press the issue the farmer will appeal there claim denial and the appeal board almost always sides with the farmer. We have a couple in our area and in reality these guys prob are not farming for the long term.
                There are places in the provinces where going all in on inputs is not a viable option.

You can spray for midge and disease all you want, but that wont make a sizeable diff in yield in some areas.

That said, these places shouldnt be gambling on canola either.

Comment

For us the premiums dropped and coverage increased. That CAP premium option seems like a no starter the way I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                    What is the cap option ?

I'm behind the times .
                    As I understand it one is blending all of your crops together, more of a whole farm approach to make rates cheaper but for me it doesn't work .

Comment

Its weird . My wheat 80% customer is 13.24 wheat Cap drops to 11.23
                      Yet Canola 80% customer is 12.34 and cap jumps to 21.75
                      No cap for me. I have no idea how that works.

Comment

For 80% here
                        HRSW - $3.77 , CAP $4.16 …. Coverage $472
                        Canola - $11.96 , CAP $7.56 .. Coverage $733

A lot of factors involved with ave yields and or recent claims . Very wide range of premiums and coverage.
                        Last edited by furrowtickler; Mar 8, 2023, 08:47.

Comment

Like all insurance. If you have a claim, your premiums go up.
                          Stopped at office yesterday.
                          Seen our history.
                          We are 120 k ahead of our premiums..so that's why we are stupid high premium.
                          Last edited by Partners; Mar 8, 2023, 09:03.

Comment

I dont know how the CAP is calculated but its way higher than my individual, so thats a hard no.

80%

Durum indiv $7.20, CAP $21.40 $425/ac
                            Canola indiv $9.07, CAP $24.51 $653/ac
                            Red Lentils indiv $21.20, CAP $21.20 $302/ac

Ag rep tells me lots of people getting out of lentils this yr. Too much risk, not enough coverage.
                            Last edited by jazz; Mar 8, 2023, 09:21.

Comment

My premiums are up $5 / acre and yield coverage down 2bpa @ 80% coverage on durum, compared to last year. Not because I am a shitty farmer , but because of 3 years of pathetic crops due to drought , which is a word some people haven't dealt with much in their careers. I wish drought wasn't in the equation , but the southwest can be a real adventure to live in.

Yippee shite !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.