• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed barley varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed barley varieties

What variety of feed barley yields the best also has good disease package?

Originally posted by brs View Post
    What variety of feed barley yields the best also has good disease package?
    Austenson has treated me well. I don’t treat or use fungicide and haven’t had much for disease. It’s good forage as well.

Comment

Synergy. Play both markets. Yields amazing.
      Never treated seed, or fungicide it in 4 yrs..malt 100%..

Comment

Depends on rain and fertility. Austenson and Synergy perform well when moisture or nutrition are limited. If you get good rain Esma or Sirish will perform the best in my experience.

Comment

Went all Austenson in 2021 with new certified seed except where I ran out I bin ran some Copeland. 80-30-10-10 actual. Growing season rain was 1 inch at home and about 1.5 inches four miles from yard. Austenson was only slightly higher than my work boots at harvest. Skidded on the ground and ate rocks for 1500 acres trying to get what I could in the Austenson. Wrecked a feeder chain, bent up concaves, lots of retracting fingers broke. Had to skid on the ground the whole time. Wasted an extra 7 days wrenching on the combine and cutter bar because we were down in the rocks. We don’t grow lentils for a reason. Never doing that again. The Copeland? Almost knee high, never touched a rock. Yield was about the same.

Comment

Growing a new variety called Hague
            Seed grower said it out yielded Austenson by quite a bit.
            Kernel weight was larger with Hague.
            Give it a try see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimeOperator View Post
              Went all Austenson in 2021 with new certified seed except where I ran out I bin ran some Copeland. 80-30-10-10 actual. Growing season rain was 1 inch at home and about 1.5 inches four miles from yard. Austenson was only slightly higher than my work boots at harvest. Skidded on the ground and ate rocks for 1500 acres trying to get what I could in the Austenson. Wrecked a feeder chain, bent up concaves, lots of retracting fingers broke. Had to skid on the ground the whole time. Wasted an extra 7 days wrenching on the combine and cutter bar because we were down in the rocks. We don’t grow lentils for a reason. Never doing that again. The Copeland? Almost knee high, never touched a rock. Yield was about the same.
              Have been growing Copeland, but have been selling into the feed market last couple of years,doesn't pay to switch if yield comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by brs View Post
                Have been growing Copeland, but have been selling into the feed market last couple of years,doesn't pay to switch if yield comparable.
                That comparison was in very dry weather. And Copeland has been very good to me in the recent dry years. But I think I’ll be giving Synergy a try next, and can then play in both markets again.

Comment

Grew Altorado and Synergy this past year. Altorado shot out of the ground and looked great all year until it layed flat as a pancake. It ended up out-yeilding synergy by a couple bushels but wasn't worth the headache. We will be going solely with Synergy this year for the standaibility/yeild/and can play in the malt game if you choose.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...