• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you EV Promoters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you EV Promoters

Great article on driving.ca. Goes into the nuts and bolts of how electricity is consumed as you drive. At 5 Celsius 10% of electricity in the ford truck was used just to keep the battery warm. Going highway speed you lose almost 50% of your range. Ideal speed is 30 kmh. We are definitely governed by morons, EV’s would be useless outside the city in the dead of winter imo.
    Last edited by Hamloc; Feb 19, 2023, 16:39.

Tis true. And its roughly 50% of that goes to cabin heating... guess just have to wear a heated jacket!
    That being said... gas cars at 20 degrees F lose roughly 15% of their mileage so its not like ICEs are immune to the cold. On short trips (3-5 miles) its closer to 25 %.
    However.. we cant pretend like EV range isnt going to keep on increasing and battery tech isnt going to get better.
    Right now they arent feasible in the country... but.. when will they be?
    The vast majority of my trips are under 200 kms.. well under..but i live only 35 ish outside of a big city. I could easily get my with a ford lightning truck.. and at fuel costs vs electrical costs i am wayyyy further ahead to have an EV.
    But even for those of us who live further out where its less feasible and to play devils advocate ..
    How many km range would you need to consider it? 800? 1200? And how many of us drive more than the range of the long range motors/batteries in a given day?

I would absolutely love to drive an ev truck.. but for me currently, it just doesnt quite make sense. But lets be honest with ourselves... in the not too distant future... it sure will!

Comment

Hand tools to air operated tools to electric tools that almost break your wrist.

EV will in 20 yrs time will be different than today

Issues above yes same here for keeping car cool apparently.

And recyling btteries is the real issue as well not possible at moment

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
        Tis true. And its roughly 50% of that goes to cabin heating... guess just have to wear a heated jacket!
        That being said... gas cars at 20 degrees F lose roughly 15% of their mileage so its not like ICEs are immune to the cold. On short trips (3-5 miles) its closer to 25 %.
        However.. we cant pretend like EV range isnt going to keep on increasing and battery tech isnt going to get better.
        Right now they arent feasible in the country... but.. when will they be?
        The vast majority of my trips are under 200 kms.. well under..but i live only 35 ish outside of a big city. I could easily get my with a ford lightning truck.. and at fuel costs vs electrical costs i am wayyyy further ahead to have an EV.
        But even for those of us who live further out where its less feasible and to play devils advocate ..
        How many km range would you need to consider it? 800? 1200? And how many of us drive more than the range of the long range motors/batteries in a given day?

I would absolutely love to drive an ev truck.. but for me currently, it just doesnt quite make sense. But lets be honest with ourselves... in the not too distant future... it sure will!
        I agree , but at $30,000 more than the equivalent F-150 there is no way anyone would be further ahead . If they were priced equally, then it makes sense somewhat .
        I looked at lightning F-150 and a similar gas F-150 . $90,000 plus for the EV version, $60,000 for the gas . Dodge even cheaper
        You can buy fuel for a lifetime for $30,000 and have a reliable truck regardless of weather .
        Ended up with a 3L Duramax GM . About the same cost as the F-150 and double the fuel mileage. Farm diesel now below $1.20
        Maybe in 5-7 years E trucks will make sense
        Unless you live in or near a city , still need a truck and somehow get the purchase pricing more equivalent .
        I would still be very concerned on the resale price on an E truck . If it needs battery replacement after 5-7 years that truck will be worth zero .
        But I also agree , things are changing fast , so time will tell . I , like you will wait this out for at least 5 years and see how things play out for E trucks

Comment

That’s minus five C. What if you’re towing a trailer and it’s minus thirty five C? They don’t say a thing about that?

Sure they will improve. No doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            That’s minus five C. What if you’re towing a trailer and it’s minus thirty five C? They don’t say a thing about that?

Sure they will improve. No doubt about that.
            Actually Sheepwheat I reread the article and the temperature was 5 Celsius not -5 Celsius. My apologies but it does confirm for me that when someone posts an article to read few read it lol. I corrected my initial post.

Comment

If you can only utilize it as a second or third vehicle that gets rich.

If I lived in California it would be a no brainer first choice and the only vehicle you would need.

I keep looking but it doesn't make sense to me to spend that kind of money and have 2 or 3 vehicles.

Not even mention of range anxiety out here with only occasional chargers every 1hr or 2 down the road. If you get there and somebody is charging your there for 1 1/2 hrs.

Not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                If you can only utilize it as a second or third vehicle that gets rich.

If I lived in California it would be a no brainer first choice and the only vehicle you would need.

I keep looking but it doesn't make sense to me to spend that kind of money and have 2 or 3 vehicles.

Not even mention of range anxiety out here with only occasional chargers every 1hr or 2 down the road. If you get there and somebody is charging your there for 1 1/2 hrs.

Not ready.
                Agree , not ready yet , not even close to have them shoved down our throats by virtue signaling politicians that have no clue about real life for most of us within the next 8 years .
                Especially when there is no climate emergency as being preached by the same politicians and climate crusaders

Comment

If you are interested, then go to Leasebusters and see what vehicles people are trying to dump.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    If you are interested, then go to Leasebusters and see what vehicles people are trying to dump.
                    Interesting website
                    Without having to sign up , what’s the Cole’s notes version of vehicles getting dumped ?

Comment

Plug in Hybrids with longer range will cover off a lot of the issues in colder rural areas.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        Plug in Hybrids with longer range will cover off a lot of the issues in colder rural areas.
                        What I don’t understand Chuck2 is why governments are pushing the plug in EV as the main option, that is what they subsidize. I agree on a plug in hybrid but why not build a vehicle with a smaller battery and a gas power generator made to charge the battery only. Most plug in hybrids combine the ice and electric propulsion system and use the ice motor most of the time. Cars like a BMW I3 have a small generator and it only has a 40 horsepower motor running the generator. The car could be lighter as well. As an example a Mercedes ESQ580 weighs 5600 lbs roughly but at 0 Celsius only has a range of just over 300 km and a price tag that starts at $136000 CAD. My son and I ran to Edmonton on Friday, 365 km round trip, the Mercedes couldn’t make it without stopping to charge.

Comment

I did see the new Dodge ETorque 1/2 ton .
                          Never took it for a drive . Has the 5.7 Hemi with ETorque assist to reduce fuel consumption on stop / starts and when high torque is needed .
                          Price tag was very high . Salesman was not even real sure how well it performs.
                          Neat idea , but doubt the hefty price tag would ever pay for itself .
                          The new 6 cyl Hurricane motor will blow it away in fuel economy and power apparently.
                          Changes are coming , but most trucks coming to market are to be full electric not hybrid I was told.
                          A hybrid truck will make sense if it’s not grossly overpriced where it will never pay for itself in a lifetime.
                          I guess those who do buy one could virtue signal everyone else to justify it .

Comment

Comment

Read to the end , interesting, maybe self driving not that great

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.