• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The value per acre of farmland in Canada has skyrocketed by 334% since 2001

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The value per acre of farmland in Canada has skyrocketed by 334% since 2001

Not sure I entirely agree with this article....especially with the part about younger farms having to rent and guys like Robert Andjelic as some hero who really is just trying to capture more of the value chain off serf farmers.

Anyway, the stats were interesting just the same.

CHARLEBOIS: Farmland is getting expensive, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by jazz; Feb 14, 2023, 14:05.

Will be devastating when extreme environmental regulations and even more punishing carbon tax’s kick in . Profits will be crushed unless this crazy train gets derailed . High land prices and land rents will be short lived .
    Look at the Netherlands and other countries that are just starting to ramp up ever more imposing regulations.
    What will land be worth then when there is zero chance of profitability due to extreme climate goals ? It’s coming if we don’t stand up and say enough already .
    “You will own nothing and be happy” ……. And they will own everything while we go back to being serfs.
    That’s where this will end up .

Comment

Always increasing farm cash receipts is mentioned as a sign of something but never any talk of actual profit left over. My farm has pretty much net the same money for the last 5 years.

Comment

Aren't we supposed to sell stocks when our cab driver gives us tips?? Same thing here?
        All I feel confident in is the increasing economy of scale. Sometimes it pauses. Sometimes it takes leaps. Never down. We are heading for another jump. Ignore that at your peril. There are many for whom this is their last decade farming. Myself included for the above reason.
        This will never change.

Comment

This should be reposted in the adult section.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Will be devastating when extreme environmental regulations and even more punishing carbon tax’s kick in . Profits will be crushed unless this crazy train gets derailed . High land prices and land rents will be short lived .
            Look at the Netherlands and other countries that are just starting to ramp up ever more imposing regulations.
            What will land be worth then when there is zero chance of profitability due to extreme climate goals ? It’s coming if we don’t stand up and say enough already .
            “You will own nothing and be happy” ……. And they will own everything while we go back to being serfs.
            That’s where this will end up .
            I don't see that a steady diet of crickets is going to be accepted as an eating model for cranky serfs.

So "they", if that is elite leaders, have read and learned anything from history it is that the grindstone and basket industry will be resurrected. It ends with severed, rolling heads.

Tell me that "they" will be so stupid as to defy history.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
              I don't see that a steady diet of crickets is going to be accepted as an eating model for cranky serfs.

So "they", if that is elite leaders, have read and learned anything from history it is that the grindstone and basket industry will be resurrected. It ends with severed, rolling heads.

Tell me that "they" will be so stupid as to defy history.
              Yes, but how far down this primrose path do we go before that happens? Will we rise up and start sharpening the Guillotines before we have lost everything? Or will death by a 1000 cuts keep us just peaceful enough to quell the rebellion until we have nothing left?

Comment

Have you been to a grocery store lately checking. The last time we went the people ahead of us had the bottom part of the cart filled with cans of coke and the top with doritos.

Wont be hard to slip some cricket powder in for the masses. Just turn on the football game and pour a pint and they will accept anything.

Meanwhile we are riding the land and input escalator. Land has held up with a yr of 6 pct interest rates. Iowa land values would say we have a ways to go here yet.
                Last edited by jazz; Feb 14, 2023, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Have you been to a grocery store lately checking. The last time we went the people ahead of us had the bottom part of the cart filled with cans of coke and the top with doritos.

Wont be hard to slip some cricket powder in for the masses. Just turn on the football game and pour a pint and they will accept anything.

Meanwhile we are riding the land and input escalator. Land has held up with a yr of 6 pct interest rates. Iowa land values would say we have a ways to go here yet.
                  what's the ratio of contribution margin to land value and market rent in iowa? 11k/ac iowa land doesn't equate to 11k/ac here

they get more subsidies too

agreed that andjelic is not the hero he's implied to be in the article. just taking a cut from the folks doing the real work. just like bonnefield et al.
                  Last edited by Marusko; Feb 14, 2023, 18:19.

Comment

Iowa is not US average yield.
                    Some have 260bu+ individual coverage at ??? Price per bushel.

$12 to $1500 per acre crop insurance coverage makes for bullish rental rates.

Iowa also has the highest number of beef cows mostly due to additional income from grazing corn stalks and lots of available feed.

And as pointed out above, government support.
                    Last edited by shtferbrains; Feb 14, 2023, 19:03.

Comment

More like 5 or 6 times here, and most of that in the last six years probably.

How many farmers these days ever say they have enough land? That is the biggest problem, thinking ever more size in acres, will somehow fix all that ails commodity agriculture.

Comment

I guess it should stay in this section after all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                          I guess it should stay in this section after all.
                          Was that in response to my post?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                            More like 5 or 6 times here, and most of that in the last six years probably.

How many farmers these days ever say they have enough land? That is the biggest problem, thinking ever more size in acres, will somehow fix all that ails commodity agriculture.
                            Just curious, what ails commodity agriculture?
                            It would appear to me that profitablity is what is driving expansion in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              Just curious, what ails commodity agriculture?
                              It would appear to me that profitablity is what is driving expansion in recent years.
                              Impossibility of youth to start up these days is the main thing. Because all that is preached is the one way to farm. It’s all western Canada is suited for is the one way to farm. If you do something different, you are laughed at as a non farmer, because it’s just a hobby to most guys. Ten acres of garlic is not farming to most guys. Even if it may be netting more than a thousand acres of grain. We need to encourage new entrants by telling them there IS A WAY outside of million dollar combines and obscene and artificial inputs.

Another thing is our soil. Canola wheat isn’t a rotation. I’d like to see the soil benefits of a two crop repeat rotation? Because of that, everything about it is artificial, and consumers aren’t always impressed by that. Nothing at all is natural in ag anymore. The soil is just a medium to hold roots.

What do fungicides do to the environment? What does clearing every acre and draining huge lakes do to water tables, to ecosystems? Most don’t even think about that. Is my shallow well going to dry up because every lake and slough gets drained to grow canola wheat? It might not, but I have the right to wonder, correct?

Finally, if commodity prices drop, how long will this supposed time of prosperity last? Is everything being bought with cash?

To my mind, there is a lot that ails commodity agriculture. I could go on for hours.

I guess it doesn’t matter. It’s childish to think outside the box.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...