• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm help woes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm help woes

Farm help is hard to find but it’s also harder to keep someone around you lose trust in but hard to let go at the same time. That’s as nice as I can put it. I don’t know why I posted this for. Maybe some advice or solace. Give the person a chance and trained them but know in my heart they need to move on. I value those who help me out almost like family but when you get used even a little you know it’s time.

Not sure what you are looking for but when you lose trust in a person, get lied to, or get stolen from, they are done in my world.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
      Not sure what you are looking for but when you lose trust in a person, get lied to, or get stolen from, they are done in my world.
      Yeah I’m just looking for some validation that what I’m thinking is justified and I’m not rash.

Comment

I've been lectured on being clear with expectations. If that helps....

Comment

Good employees make your days easier.
          That's the way it's suppose to work.
          1 bad apple can spoil the whole batch. Old saying but always true.
          Do the dirty deed and get on with your life.

Comment

"Give the person a chance"

Was your gut telling you something before you hired the person or did they have issues from the past.

Just saying, as your post kinda comes across that way.

I've learnt on a few occasions, if your gut tells you something follow it.

Comment

that’s the hardest thing on the farm finding good help.

i’m lucky our part time crew is excellent it’s a larger group but it works for spring and fall.

family also works very well

Comment

The critical thing to do here is "right size" your operation this year. You have only so much labor resources available. There are buyers and renters available for any better land that you may be operating now. We were planning home upgrades but since qualified skilled tradesmen are not available in our area, these plans have been permanently scrubbed. I am cutting back hours at my off farm gig and this may be my last year as canuckistanian cash is trash only useful for paying debt and taxes. I don't have much of the former and the less I do the less of the later I have to pay.

Comment

Only "right size" is just a little BIGGER. More toys, more work, more risk. Life is short, think about that.

Comment

I don’t know your circumstances or the details so it’s hard to offer much advice. To play devils advocate, how severe was trust breached and why do you think it was?

A long term employee suddenly acting out of character, I would be wanting to investigate why. Are they burnt out? Their give a **** is currently MIA? Personal issues?

A short term employee can be a different story and amount of time invested in them in a breach of trust case is usually less.

Speaking from an employee perspective, when they get burnt out they feel used and taken advantage of. You say you feel used, does your employee perhaps feel the same?

Lots of times in ag you’ll hear “well I give them fuel for their drive out” or “they leave early and get lots of time off in the off season”, etc. and these are always things that are appreciated.

BUT

They are also things that are small consolation if someone’s had their bag run off and is just done.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...