• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Barley Growers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Barley Growers

Got sent a copy of book thanks parsley.

Interesting read understand crow rate properly now and a few other things.

Plenty of similarities to oz lots of huge differences.

Often maligned on agriville but seems Gerry Ritz was ahead of the curve.

Only thing to me seems it was rushed in the euphoria of a open market should have taken another year to sort out nuts and bolts but you selling storage distance freight and different than here.

Could be a slanted view but seems your collective marketing was in a worse state than ours when change happened.

Maybe thats why ours was a smoother transition over 18 months. Change was coming lets get this right scenario.

Also just read book and was involved with WBGA and struggle to end wheat board monopoly.
    Could never get past idea that a dual market was possable or workable.
    Still don't know if idea was a help or a hindrance in ending monopoly.

Comment

I should get the book I guess.
      Landdown, in my mind the haste was a function of politics and timeline. Severe polarization, singular focus and the fact the opposing political parties were never going to do it.
      Only one way to remove a bandage.
      After living it and still seeing it's effects, I feel like reading some other, more interesting history. Not personal. LoL.
      Last edited by blackpowder; Feb 7, 2023, 17:34.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        I should get the book I guess.
        Landdown, in my mind the haste was a function of politics and timeline. Severe polarization, singular focus and the fact the opposing political parties were never going to do it.
        Only one way to remove a bandage.
        After living it and still seeing it's effects, I feel like reading some other, more interesting history. Not personal. LoL.
        where were your elected farm bodies in discussing the best way foward in the transition. Or was it just bluntly opposed and no due process followed? Sask wheat commision is it?

as glenn keeps telling us the worlds changing change with the times same goes for marketing.
        Last edited by Landdownunder; Feb 7, 2023, 19:07.

Comment

Federal elections over before the Manitoba border. Eastern Liberals fought the change tooth and nail.
          No meaningful elected farm bodies then or now. Ones from the 40s -60s were staunch reds.

Comment

Thanks for the interest in the WBGA history everyone. For anyone interested in picking up a copy, Amazon.ca has a smokin' deal on right now. They have reduced the price on the hardcover by $14. It's actually cheaper than the paperback. This deal isn't likely to last long so now's the time to pick up a copy of this fascinating part of Canadian agriculture history.

Comment

Originally posted by padron View Post
              Thanks for the interest in the WBGA history everyone. For anyone interested in picking up a copy, Amazon.ca has a smokin' deal on right now. They have reduced the price on the hardcover by $14. It's actually cheaper than the paperback. This deal isn't likely to last long so now's the time to pick up a copy of this fascinating part of Canadian agriculture history.
              Link?

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                Link?
                In Amazon type in “Western Barley’s Legacy”

Hard copy is $29+GST.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.