• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Land Price Direction

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rinker View Post
    Unless there was no possible way for me to afford it I would not let a quarter beside my yard go.

Can that pasture be broke?
    40 acres of pasture could be broke, but the other 40 acres is a creek from an alkaline lake running to the north Saskatchewan river. The land that this water touches/floods isn’t worth breaking. No crops grow in it. Just sporadic slough grass grows. So you would be essentially buying a 120 acres of productive land, with 40 acres of unproductive lowland attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      450 000/80=?

Can you use the pasture for the bison? Is the poor pasture at all remotely fixable? Is the half bleep pasture able to become better than it is? Is there soil problems? Sounds like salinity in pasture.

It would be hard to let it go, but it doesn’t sound like a real stellar quarter, touching your home quarter or not. At least you are pondering it and not being automatic about it. Obviously if it was productive enough you would bite.

Without seeing it and knowing the layout, knowing the land, none of us should arbitrarily say buy it no matter what.
      Yes the pasture could be used for the bison. There is no fixing 40 of the 80 acres of pasture. The other 40 acres could be broke to grain farm.

Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t a horrible quarter. But I am in the process right now of buying 3 other quarters from another neighbour. 1 real nice grain quarter with a 20 acre yard taken out of it, one full grain quarter that is quite hilly, and a pasture quarter. All are sold for less than the asking on this quarter next to my yard. Just priced too high in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by quadtrac View Post
        Agee with the two above.
        it’s touching your home 1/4 I’m surprised you’re waiting.
        For what???
        You will 100% regret it if someone else gets it. Maybe not right away but for sure in time it’ll be a mistake not jumping on it.
        If I was only buying the one quarter, I might consider overspending a bit. But I bought the farm yard and 3 quarters off my parents 2.5-3 years ago, 5.5 quarters from a neighbour 2 years ago, and in the process of buying 3 more quarters from another neighbour now. No need to go looking to overspend at this point.

Comment

Guys I never made it to MIT but my simple arithmetic makes 450000 at 6% interest over 15 years with an average cost of 650 an acre pretty hard to see a profit unless she’s a bumper every year. I believe my numbers are relatively conservative were I grow grass and u would have to be one lucky SOB to make that pay for itself year after year. Only logical reason for buying it is for the next generation with monies from the rest of the farm. Which is ok but u gotta live with that decision especially if the cash cow canola takes a tumble.

Comment

Well assuming we dont get a mass die off from the vax attack, the world is going to be under a lot of pressure to feed itself in the next 25yrs. Ziehan might be off on a few things, but he is right that if globalization cracks (which it has), there is going to be more hungry and cold mouths in the world.

Canada is one of only a few nations with excess to export. So thats a plus for this biz.

But on the other hand we have the marxist climate loons trying to shut it down. If we ever let Trudeau and his tards do what he did to fisheries here in western canada, it will be the end. The govt regulated that industry down to nothing and now the chinese fish our shores, take the product back home, chop it up, repackage and export back to us.

Our trade position is precarious too. We rely on China and a few other countries taking our products. We saw what china did to canola a few yrs ago. Chinese money could easily be directed to Russia and then they start growing canola and lentils and durum. If we get into a hot war with them, we could be screwed.
            Last edited by jazz; Jan 22, 2023, 08:27.

Comment

Jazz he says Chinas done in a few years so that canola market definitely could dry up.

Comment

Farmland has had quite a run, dare I say gone parabolic. Would I go into debt in this rising interest rate market nope, but would I sell and hold dollars, nope.

Comment

My son and I bought an adjoining 1/4 last year old yard site pasture and or grain. It needs some work to clean up but that's part of my retirement projects. There was some small parcels next to it (village site long time ago ) that I wanted. Was able to snap up 2 of the 3 pieces but missed the trigger on the 3rd. There's now a 1972 motorhome ( dragged in ) for a living res. on the 3rd. Winning !!!!

Comment

So what is everyone’s opinion on where we are at based on the 1980’s? Are we even anywhere near having a similar type of event? Are we in a situation that will play out worse than that timeframe? Are we in the 70’s still, and have a few years before we have to start worrying?

Personally I feel we are on the crest, and headed over the downslope. Just not sure if it is a small gully, or a cliff.🤣 Not going to sit still in fear and do nothing, but want to look over my shoulder cautiously as well.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                      So what is everyone’s opinion on where we are at based on the 1980’s? Are we even anywhere near having a similar type of event? Are we in a situation that will play out worse than that timeframe? Are we in the 70’s still, and have a few years before we have to start worrying?

Personally I feel we are on the crest, and headed over the downslope. Just not sure if it is a small gully, or a cliff.🤣 Not going to sit still in fear and do nothing, but want to look over my shoulder cautiously as well.
                      You will have a better idea when 1 bank crashes.

Comment

well i seen back in 08 land droped 50% overnight in ireland , now its up to around of 75% of where it was before 08 crash , we moved here in 2006 and the increase in land value here from then to now has been huge and has turned out to be a great investment ,however after seeing what happened in ireland i never buy the opinion that land stays going up , would not take much to pop the bubble here now i think

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
                          well i seen back in 08 land droped 50% overnight in ireland , now its up to around of 75% of where it was before 08 crash , we moved here in 2006 and the increase in land value here from then to now has been huge and has turned out to be a great investment ,however after seeing what happened in ireland i never buy the opinion that land stays going up , would not take much to pop the bubble here now i think
                          Did the cash rent drop 50% as well?

Comment

i would not think their was a huge change in rent as far as i remember , banks pretty much stopped giving loans , but their was almost no land on market (who wants to sell for half ?) except what had been repossed by banks , some farmers bought back their farms for less than half too! their was huge winners and losers when the smoke cleared

Comment

In the 80’s it was interest rates, and interest rates alone that caused mayhem.

Now? There are many things that imho will cause mayhem.

Iron and the wants or needs to have the latest and greatest. In the 80’s, guys made do. Now?

Extreme expenses. My dads 80’s income tax says it cost him maybe forty bucks to grow a crop, all in.

Extreme land values. Values that are inflated far above farming actually paying for it in most cases, unless one is exceptionally fortunate.

Extreme rent rates.

Summerfallow. Like it or not, it DOES store moisture and releases nutrients. Everyone summerfallowed some in the 80’s. It got guys through with zero inputs in a pinch.

Diversity of farms. In the 80’s, hardly anyone had straight grain. The diversity helped many through those dark years. This includes cows, pork, and a lot of farms still grew a lot of their own food.

In the 80’s, there were western grain stabilization payments and ad hoc payments guys who didn’t need it still received.

In the 80’s, many, many farmers were making more in interest than they were farming. The careful and dare I say the wise, made out like bandits. A far too often overlooked fact in an era when 20 000 was a pretty fair net income.

That’s just a very few differences from now and then.

Comment

In the eighties BTO,s who outbid for land then could not make payments cried to the gov,t about banks repo their land, so the farm debt review board was set up.Lenders were forced to negotiate, mostly for half of origanal loan.Pure crap.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.