• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which direction would you go to feed bales?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweaker101 View Post
    Sounds like you found your solution, just expand it... I am used to cows but am thinking buffalo would be sort of the same. We controlled how far they could go in the bale pods(bales placed in a pre determined grid) with an electric wire. In our pods we had different qualities of hay and also some straw and the bales were placed up on end as I would remove the twine as the cows progressed through the pods. I guess this is where things might be different as I have no working knowledge on buffalo... will they respect a electric wire so that you can limit there movement through the bales and keep them in a area so that they will clean up and not waste as much... We did placed all our bales in the fall and all winter the tractor never came out to feed the cows and I just used my SXS to go and check and move the electric wire and pull twine from the new bales as the cows advanced through the pods.
    They do respect an electric wire quite well I’m told. Haven’t actually tried it yet.

Contemplating putting an electric wire around a 40 acres pasture I bought a couple years ago that has a brand new 4 wire fence on it already. Don’t want to waste a new fence just to build a new one in its place. From what I have heard, they should stay away from it. Have been renting it out to a neighbour with cows up until this point, but he will be retiring soon.
    Last edited by flea beetle; Jan 14, 2023, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG View Post
      Hustler bale unroll.
      Does this chop up the feed at all? Or just fluff it up?

Comment

Originally posted by farmerboy View Post
        Bison and expensive ways of feeding will not pencil out.
        i feed my bison every four or five days put bales on end and remove the net good quality forage only. They will clean everything up with very little waste I know a guy that sets out the whole winter supply of feed in a pasture removes the twine and thats it they are fed for the winter. the beauty of having bison is that you can do that .
        Maybe I should just continue what I’m doing then? Just put out more bales? They have even been cleaning up straw fairly well put out in this way as well.

Concerned feeding like this on pasture though. Won’t the left over mess choke out the pasture? Or would a set of harrows fix this?

It’s funny you say there isn’t much money in bison? When I work out growing butcher animals vs grain farming, the net at the end rivals grain without the high equipment expenses. Unless I am missing something?
        Last edited by flea beetle; Jan 14, 2023, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          What if you put out twice as many bales so there is less competition for a spot? Or possibly some corn grazing for next year?

Maybe I’m a little jaded after trying to find a gearbox for a feed wagon that’s made of unobtainium and putting a new tire on the tractor that normally pulls said wagon this week.

Whoever came up with the idea to chew up bales in a vertical mixer was an equipment salesman with input from his buddy at Esso. Best bales that we bale graze are hay silage bales. Put out 3 days worth or so and they have to work to pull them apart. If you feed on tired pasture the leftovers will improve the grass for at least 5 years.

Love the corn grazing here. Sure saves time, stress and fits the KISS theory for us. Lots of different ways to accomplish the same goal😎
          Yes. Thinking just putting out more bales might be the answer. Only thing is they may waste some greenfeed by just plopping the bale out there. But I guess a guy has to factor in fuel usage as well, which is costly these days! Truly are many ways to do it it seems. No one right answer.

I do have an 8 bale self dumper. So maybe just take 4 hay, 2 greenfeed, and 2 straw out to the field and dump them. Come behind with tractor and stand them all on end and don’t come back until they clean everything up.

Like stated above, concerned the leftover might choke out the pasture. But hopefully a harrow pass will fix that in spring. Some pastures will be 4-6 miles away from the yard. So not a crazy truck with the tractor.

One thing that a processor or unroller would have going for it is you could keep moving around the quarter where you feed, and spread the nutrients around the whole pasture. Again scared to just plop bales all over and choke out the pasture on the whole field.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
            Yes. Thinking just putting out more bales might be the answer. Only thing is they may waste some greenfeed by just plopping the bale out there. But I guess a guy has to factor in fuel usage as well, which is costly these days! Truly are many ways to do it it seems. No one right answer.

I do have an 8 bale self dumper. So maybe just take 4 hay, 2 greenfeed, and 2 straw out to the field and dump them. Come behind with tractor and stand them all on end and don’t come back until they clean everything up.

Like stated above, concerned the leftover might choke out the pasture. But hopefully a harrow pass will fix that in spring. Some pastures will be 4-6 miles away from the yard. So not a crazy truck with the tractor.

One thing that a processor or unroller would have going for it is you could keep moving around the quarter where you feed, and spread the nutrients around the whole pasture. Again scared to just plop bales all over and choke out the pasture on the whole field.
            We used to harrow everything that got fed on and one year we never got around to it. I think the trash holding the moisture from the winter is a huge benefit the following spring. I even bed cattle on pasture by just putting out fresh straw in a new spot every time. Probably use a little more straw than building a bed but piling, hauling, and incorporating manure isn’t cheap or easy. There may be slight decrease in grass where the trash is real thick but later years it will grow twice the grass as untouched areas. ****Disregard the the above if your pasture is new top notch high production stuff.****

If you do decide to harrow it maybe leave a test patch to see what you think of it. In the words of Shrek……… “change is good Donkey”…….. Besides it’ll stir up the neighbourhood and get them talking about you. Like the time we baled 60 acres of green feed without any twine along the highway for bale grazing……….😉

Can bison use a bale feeder or is that asking for trouble with the horns? Only have polled cattle here so I know nothing about that………..

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              We used to harrow everything that got fed on and one year we never got around to it. I think the trash holding the moisture from the winter is a huge benefit the following spring. I even bed cattle on pasture by just putting out fresh straw in a new spot every time. Probably use a little more straw than building a bed but piling, hauling, and incorporating manure isn’t cheap or easy. There may be slight decrease in grass where the trash is real thick but later years it will grow twice the grass as untouched areas. ****Disregard the the above if your pasture is new top notch high production stuff.****

If you do decide to harrow it maybe leave a test patch to see what you think of it. In the words of Shrek……… “change is good Donkey”…….. Besides it’ll stir up the neighbourhood and get them talking about you. Like the time we baled 60 acres of green feed without any twine along the highway for bale grazing……….😉

Can bison use a bale feeder or is that asking for trouble with the horns? Only have polled cattle here so I know nothing about that………..
              I have seen guys use the heavy drill stem overhead X feeders, but have been told by more than one guy that they will just flip/play with and wreck most other feeders.

I will try just feeding here and there this year and see what it does in spring. Test a small area away from my usual feeding spot and see what it does this spring.

And believe me, the neighbourhood is accustomed to talking about me already. They seem to know more about what I am doing than I do! Lol
              Last edited by flea beetle; Jan 14, 2023, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by farmerboy View Post
                Bison and expensive ways of feeding will not pencil out.
                i feed my bison every four or five days put bales on end and remove the net good quality forage only. They will clean everything up with very little waste I know a guy that sets out the whole winter supply of feed in a pasture removes the twine and thats it they are fed for the winter. the beauty of having bison is that you can do that .
                Sounds very logical and most economical.

There were 10's of millions of Bison roaming the N.A. plains way before any hay bales were provide to them.

Obviously, Mother Nature has created a very efficient eater, unlike cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                  Sounds very logical and most economical.

There were 10's of millions of Bison roaming the N.A. plains way before any hay bales were provide to them.

Obviously, Mother Nature has created a very efficient eater, unlike cattle.
                  You’re comparing apples to oranges. Each has their advantages and disadvantages but it is not fair to crap on one over the other. Bison are survivors but it comes at the expense of conversion and turn around. Beef cattle have been man’s creation for 10000+ years and provide meat and milk in a timely turnaround and you can bank on a better conversion ratio than bison though they can be big wimps where buffalo flourish. Pick your poison but two great types of livestock when managed properly.

Comment

Leftovers shouldn’t choke out the pasture unless they really don’t clean up good. Just think of it as a good mulch layer.

The only places I find promote weeds more than grass is right in the middle of where I put down a bedding pack where it’s a foot thick. Those areas benefit from a bit of a harrow.

If you’re worried then it’s easy enough to harrow but I’d agree to do a test spot. The greatest benefit I’ve found to the bale grazing is the moisture the leftovers carry with them from the snow. Harrowing in the spring spreads it out and you lose that snow moisture.

Easy enough thing to play around with.

I’ll see if I can dig up some photos from a few years back when I fed out hailed barley silage bales. Cows left a lot of trash behind them with those bales as it was a lot of straw but grass grew in lovely behind it.

Comment

I feed mostly on cropland. Whether I shred roll or place in feeders, I feed in a different spot every time. Usually harrow so no problem with seeding but times we’ve fed on old pastures there’s no need to harrow.

Comment

It is re-assuring that multiple people agree that the bales don’t choke the pasture out. Will likely just keep doing what I am doing, but spread the bales out more and put more of them as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          You’re comparing apples to oranges. Each has their advantages and disadvantages but it is not fair to crap on one over the other. Bison are survivors but it comes at the expense of conversion and turn around. Beef cattle have been man’s creation for 10000+ years and provide meat and milk in a timely turnaround and you can bank on a better conversion ratio than bison though they can be big wimps where buffalo flourish. Pick your poison but two great types of livestock when managed properly.
                          Yes. Takes an extra year to get a butcher ready animal, but way less work in the winter. And next to no calving problems. As you say, pick your poison. One is not better than the other, just different.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                            Yes. Takes an extra year to get a butcher ready animal, but way less work in the winter. And next to no calving problems. As you say, pick your poison. One is not better than the other, just different.
                            Does it take an extra year no matter what, that's just the genetics? Or if they were fed as intensively as beef, could that be shortened?

There must be some trade off to making them scrounge for whatever is available in the winter like they did in nature, versus feeding them free choice high quality feed.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              Does it take an extra year no matter what, that's just the genetics? Or if they were fed as intensively as beef, could that be shortened?

There must be some trade off to making them scrounge for whatever is available in the winter like they did in nature, versus feeding them free choice high quality feed.
                              They kind of go into a “dormancy” in the winter months. Feed them what you like, they just don’t put on the pounds like cattle do. They even lose weight in winter.

They also slow down their feed intake in the winter. I saw it plain as day this fall. Was feeding 3 hay bales every 1.5-2 days in fall. Now it is 3 bales every 3rd day in the winter.

Comment

Before we got the sheep, I looked hard at bison. After crunching numbers I chose sheep. Alas, you can’t have sheep and bison, the sheep will kill them, which is unfortunate, because for a while, the plan was for both.

BUT.

I researched a lot and talked to a lot of producers. My plan was to grow a bunch of diverse native pastures. In our area, the dominant grass would have been plains rough fescue. The bison migrated here to the area where the grass grew tall and the bush offered shelter. They wintered on the fescue, so the plan was to stockpile fescue and let them have at it. It is the PERFECT grass for bison. It is PERFECT for stockpiling.

Just wondering if this is something you have looked at? Imagine not having to even bale? Like sheep, they of course don’t need winter water either. So simple and low input.

I know it’s not always popular to try new things, but there is funding for 80% of the seed costs if you do wild perennial mixes. Wild perennial mixes are not cheap, that’s for darn sure.

One of the guys I talked to bought and baled the cheapest slough hay he could find, because as you said and know, bison actually REDUCE their metabolism in winter. They do not need alfalfa hay at all.

People need to remember. Net dollars are what counts, not gross potential. Imho, if you want net, copy what nature did before humans farmed the things.

That copied system, would include to my mind, tall fescue grasslands, with plenty of pockets of bush and ravines and lakes and willows and so on.

Imho, you would also have the benefit of healing the land and building soil.

For this year, I would build a bale unroller. Unroll the hay out backwards so you don’t end up with too thick a thick mulch, and no harrowing or anything would be needed. Plus the longer strips of unrolled hay give the animals far more room than unrolling them forwards.

We need to rethink wasted hay, and hay feeders. The leftover hay is not waste. It is building the soil, preserving moisture, reseeding the soil, ensuring the nutrients are spread relatively evenly. The difference on my land where I have fed this way for years is truly unbelievable. The soil is rebuilding and fast! It doesn’t dry out. These things don’t happen overnight, it takes a few years so give it time. I was also going to get a processor, until guys said it powders alfalfa leaves to nothing, so defeats the purpose.

Anyhow, just a few different ideas going forward.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.