• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevator Probe

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevator Probe

Noticed today while parked on terminal scale with above scale probes, gross weight dropped by 10kg after being probed. Scale rounds to 10kg but enough grain was removed to round lower. Called into the office and yes gross weight is taken after probe sample😜
    Does that annoy anyone else on here? Or am I just too easily annoyed! Ha ha

My terminal is 400 yards from my bins.
    Over the course of a day it is easy to see 10kg discrepancies.
    Likely within a margin of error.
    My hope is that they equal out.
    Sometimes depends on how/when you hit the brakes.
    Have seen mild differences between 2 different tare out scales within minutes.
    Makes you wonder about your cart scales if you're OCD.
    Even at crush where probed while on scale, weight doesn't always return after probe.
    they probe first to isolate contaminated loads.
    That free ice cream pail has been around since probes.

Maybe a scale tech can weigh in?

Comment

The unpaid grain from the probe

easily pays someones wage.

Bugs me also, but logistically hard to change. Lots of places here probe before you get to the scale.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss

Comment

More annoyed at the dents and that hole they punched in the slides.

Comment

I get the logistics of a probe before the pit. But when the probe is above scale?
            If the average sample is 10lbs, 1 million T crush/yr plant, it’s approaching $100K per year.

Comment

The bigger issue is that they are quick to deduct over 9% moisture but sure wont pay extra if comes in at 6%. The profit they generate on that spread is massive.
              Last edited by biglentil; Jan 10, 2023, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                The bigger issue is that they are quick to deduct over 9% moisture but sure wont pay extra if comes in at 6%. The profit they generate on that spread is massive.
                "sorry, the computer does it automatically"
                but seriously , what crop has to be at 9 moisture?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  "sorry, the computer does it automatically"
                  but seriously , what crop has to be at 9 moisture?
                  10% plus is considered tough for canola. Less than 10% which means first digit 9 or less to be considered dry last I checked. Maybe some lineco's have differing policy?
                  Last edited by biglentil; Jan 10, 2023, 15:49.

Comment

Heard this fall of every hopper on the trailer having to be under 10% moisture. One guy got texts from his elevator saying he had one hopper out of 4 on his super b was at or above 10% moisture and they gave him a warning, even though the entire load tested dry.

Comment

Originally posted by F4F View Post
                      Noticed today while parked on terminal scale with above scale probes, gross weight dropped by 10kg after being probed. Scale rounds to 10kg but enough grain was removed to round lower. Called into the office and yes gross weight is taken after probe sample😜
                      Does that annoy anyone else on here? Or am I just too easily annoyed! Ha ha
                      Annoys some.

Others leave 3 bushels on the scale after making big piles unloading.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                        Heard this fall of every hopper on the trailer having to be under 10% moisture. One guy got texts from his elevator saying he had one hopper out of 4 on his super b was at or above 10% moisture and they gave him a warning, even though the entire load tested dry.
                        The two crush plants I haul to paper blend, they don’t want anything over 11% otherwise they’re really not concerned anything. 10.5% or lower is called dry.

Comment

Cost of doing business, to us not them.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                            Curious which outfit that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                              Annoys some.

Others leave 3 bushels on the scale after making big piles unloading.
                              I always try and make the scale so clean when I leave the guy behind can't tell what I unloaded and sometimes I want the thank the guy in front of me. That's almost always a commercial hauler.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...