• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US election?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US election?

Do you think whoever gets in will make a difference in our trade situation?
    Kerry has made some pretty "protectionist" statements but who knows if this is just rhetoric for the dummies or if he means it? I think Kerry and our own Liberal government are more on the same wave length concerning most things?
    Bush talks free trade but hasn't exactly walked the talk the last four years?
    The "experts" on TV say Kerry is a big fan of de-valuing the American currency, which might not be such a good thing for us? I would think a weaker US dollar would really affect our trade?...although it might be helpful if we wanted to slip down to Vegas for a weekend! LOL

National Meat Association

BEEF BAN TIED TO PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?

American domestic politics in a presidential election year have contributed to the long delay in re-opening the U.S. border to Canadian beef, U.S. Ambassador Paul Cellucci said in addressing Canada-U.S. relations at a luncheon last Wednesday. Cellucci, a former Republican governor of Massachusetts, pointed the finger squarely at Democrats, according to a Canadian Press report. Cellucci told an Ottawa business audience that a minority of interests south of the border have challenged and delayed U.S. Agriculture department rule changes that would have ended the ban on Canadian beef imports. "I don't want to say there's not politics involved," Cellucci said. "It is an election year."

Cellucci then singled out Tom Daschle, the Senate Democratic leader from South Dakota, as a prime mover against Canadian beef interests. Daschle is up for re-election, said Cellucci, "and, you know, he's very much opposed to this beef coming in. He and other senators have written the department of Agriculture to say, 'Don't let the beef in from Canada.'"

"And it's not based upon sound science. So that's why things have slowed down."

When asked by reporters if the outcome of the presidential vote could further delay resolution of the dispute, depending on who wins, Celluci answered, "I would hope not. I would not expect that, but there is some opposition to this in the U.S. ... I think it's clear there's more opposition on the Democratic side than the Republican side. Part of that is the geography of where the senators come from."

He's predicting the border will be fully opened to Canadian beef in a matter of months, once "bullet-proof" Agriculture department rule changes work their way through the administrative approval process and the inevitable court challenges. "But we need to look beyond that," said Cellucci. "We need to establish protocols here in North America and around the world so that we do not let isolated cases of BSE close down the borders."

Comment

The American dollar has alread been de-valued sgnificantly. That's why our dollar is so high.

Comment

There is also the chance that Tom Daschle will not be re-elected.

We can hope! LOL

Comment

You musta wished real hard Kato.

He is toast!

Comment

Am selling calves this week so it will be interesting to see if what the prices do now that it seems obvious that Bush is in for another four years.

Comment

Yes I did wish hard. I guess there is a Santa Claus!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...